A cosmetic tube is a soft container that can be squeezed and utilized for the packing of thick liquids such as creams, lotions, ointment, and toothpaste. It is a hollow structure, both ends of which are treated differently during the manufacturing process. A tube has a round orifice at one end that is closed with the help of a cap.
Advantages of cosmetic tubes include, shaping the orifice in different ways, varied styles, and lengths. Tube packaging containers may be modified during production, labeling, punching, slicing, and crimping to create an attractive package. Cosmetics tubes are considered as having anti-microbial properties due to the high temperatures during the production process.
Increasing cosmetic sales worldwide is a major growth driver for the market. This coupled with lack of other cost efficient viable packaging technologies has resulted in the large scale adoption of cosmetic tube packaging. Cosmetic tubes can also be used for product promotion purposes. Labeling and printing can be done on the outer covering of the tube. Moreover, low quantity packs of cosmetic products can be easily incorporated by cosmetic tubes. These factors are expected to be major driving factors for growth of global cosmetic tubes market.
Among material type, plastic was the dominant segment in the cosmetic tubes market in 2016. However, plastic packaging faces significant pressure from regulatory and environmental bodies. Rising trend of sustainable packaging is expected to hinder growth of the plastic tube segment. Major market players such as Amcor, in January 2018, announced a move to make all packaging technologies as reusable or recyclable by the year 2025.
Europe was largest market for cosmetic tubes in 2017. Cosmetic sales in the region were the largest in the world. According to Industry Association Cosmetics Europe, the Europe cosmetic market recorded cosmetic retail sales worth US$ 90 billion in 2017. Western European countries such as Germany, France, the U.K., Spain, and Italy were the major markets for cosmetic tubes in the region.
Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing market for cosmetic tubes over the forecast period. According to Cosmetics Europe, China, India, Japan, and South Korea recorded combined cosmetic sales of US$ 110 billion in 2017. Major players are expected to focus on the Asia Pacific region, due to its high growth potential. Market saturation pertaining to volume sales has been observed in the countries of Europe and North America.
Squeeze tubes are projected to be a major product segment in the global cosmetic tube market throughout the forecast period. Properties of squeeze tubes such as resilience, non-poisonous, and convenient application are major factors for increasing adoption of these. Laminated tubes are also a popular product segment due to its multi-layered barricade arrangement, which reduces the transfer of oxygen and light. As compared to other methods, laminated printed tubes look clearer and brighter, in turn improving the visual value of the tube.
Key Market Players and Brands
Major players operating in the global cosmetic tubes market include Albea S.A., Amcor Limited, Essel Propack Ltd., Sonoco Products Company, World Wide Packaging LLC, Montebello Packaging, VisiPak Inc., IntraPac International Corporation, and CCL Industries Inc.
Market players are involved in growth strategies such as new product launch, mergers and acquisitions to expand into key regions.
- Amcor Limited, in 2015, acquired Essel Procpack Ltd.’s India-based operations for US$ 26 million. The acquisition was a response to rising demand for cosmetic tubes in India and the huge growth potential in the country. Other acquisitions made by Amcor Limited in India include Parry Enterprises Ltd. in 2013 and Uniglobe Packaging Pvt. Ltd. in 2012.
- In October 2019, L’Oréal and Albéa partnered to create environmentally friendly packaging, a paper based cosmetic tube. According to L’Oréal, they will launch this paper cosmetic tube with industrial production planned in 2020.
- In April 2018, World Wide Packaging LLC, one of the leading manufacturer of cosmetic plastic tubes, formulation/ filling technologies and other packaging components, was acquired by Bain Capital Private Equity. With this acquisition, the firm will purchase cosmetic packaging manufacturer in China and planned to merge this two companies to form a fully integrated solutions provider.
- In February 2019, World Wide Packaging LLC, acquired Design Quest and Cosmetic Design Group, based in Los Angeles, to enhance their global position as a manufacturer in cosmetic industry.
- In May 2019, FKuR, one of the leading producer and distributor of bioplastic granulates, introduced bio-based PE cosmetic tubes with the mechanical characterictics same as that of conventional PE.
On the basis of product type, the global cosmetic tubes market is segmented into:
- Squeeze Tubes
- Twist Tubes
- Rigid Tubes
- Extruded Tubes
On the basis of material type, the global cosmetic tubes market is segmented into:
On the basis of application, the global cosmetic tubes market is segmented into:
- Oral Care
- Hair Care
- Skin Care
On the basis of region, the global cosmetic tubes market is segmented into:
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- North Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa