Organic apple sauce is a popular condiment made from organic apples. Besides its delicious taste, it promotes good digestion. Apple sauce is abundant with nutrients, antioxidants, and dietary fibers. The skin and pulp of apples contains flavonoids, which offers numerous health benefits such as regulation of blood pressure, reduction in inflammation, excessive fat production, and cholesterol levels, and lower risk of heart disease. According to the statistics published by The World Counts, by May 2018, global sales of organic food products reached over US$ 55 billion with largest share from the U.S., Germany, and France.
Owing to restricted use of fertilizers and pesticides, organic food is gaining significant popularity across the globe. According to online sources, in May 2017, Motts General Mills was sued by the Beyond Pesticides due to chemicals found in its natural apple sauce product. The demand for organic apple sauce is thus increasing, as these apples are grown organically with environmentally sustainable methods.
- Major driver for growth of the organic apple sauce market is the growing health consciousness of the populous and growing inclination towards environmentally sustainable products. U.S. Apple Association states that daily consumption of organic apples helps prevent diseases such as heart stroke and Alzheimer’s disease.
- In April, 2008, News Medical Life sciences source stated that apples lower the risk of the metabolic syndrome. Eating an apple or applesauce daily has also been linked to decreased risks of asthma and related diseases and enhanced lung function.
- Unsweetened apple sauce helps in weight loss process, as it decreases the risk of developing abdominal fat, and hence is expected to gain significant popularity in the near future. Various combinations are available for flavored apple sauce, such as cinnamon, raspberry, cranberry, strawberry, maple, and peach.
- Packaging plays a critical role in keeping the sauce safe and tasty. Apple sauce is available in a variety of packages such as glass bottles, plastic bottles, pouches, cartons, and cans. The wide availability of choices attracts customers, thus fueling growth of the organic apple sauce market.
- Study published by MDPI in the Horticulture journal in December 2015, stated that in 2014, market value of organic foods in the U.S. was US$ 42 billion, with 43% share from fruits and vegetables. Report published by Business France stated that in 2015, organic food industry in France was worth US$ 6.80 billion and in 2016, French exports of organic products valued around US$ 514 million.
- According to the U.S Department of Agriculture, 4% of the total food sales in the U.S. in 2016 was organic products. The organic retail sales in Europe stood at US$ 30.85 billion in 2014, as estimated by The International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements.
- Growing health awareness against chemical pesticides and higher disposable income among the populace in emerging economies have resulted in an increased demand for organic food. According to Organic and Conventional Products paper in the U.S., by MDPI, 84% of consumers buy organic food in the U.S. Due to high pectin content, apple sauce is associated with health benefits such as treatment of diarrhea, which in turn, is fueling growth of the organic apple sauce market.
- According to Organic Trade Association (OTA) in April 2017, maximum organic food sale takes place through conventional and natural food supermarket, while the remaining sale takes place through food service, farmer’s market, and distribution channels other than retail stores.
Key players in Global Apple sauce Market
- Key players operating in the organic apple sauce market include Thrive Market, Santa Cruz Natural Incorporated, Vermont Village Artisan Cannery, White House Foods, Materne North America Corp (GoGO sqeezy), Motts General Mills, Musselman’s, Andros Group (Old Virginia), Earth’s Best Inc., Eden Foods Inc., and Great Value Food
- Apple sauce manufacturers are producing apple sauce with fusion of various other fruits to offer different and enhanced tastes, flavors, and health benefits from other fruits. For instance, vitamins and fibers are obtained from strawberries, antioxidants from raspberries, and zinc and manganese obtained from maple. Addition of flavored apple sauce to sweetened and unsweetened apples is increasingly attracting customers due to a wide range of options available in the apple sauce market.
On the basis of composition, global apple sauce market is segmented into
On the basis of distribution channel, global apple sauce market is segmented into:
- Specialty stores
On the basis of packaging, global apple sauce market is segmented into:
- Glass bottles
- Plastic bottles
On the basis of region global apple sauce market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa