Air defense systems monitor incoming aerial threats with radar and electro-optical sensors. Some of these systems are designed to be single-piece interceptors, but others are composed of multiple parts. The Patriot air defense system is among the most advanced systems.
It combines surveillance, tracking, and engagement functions to protect ground and air targets. A Patriot battery comprises a number of launchers and computers. These components require substantial training. For launchers, it can take up to 13 weeks to learn to operate, and up to 53 weeks to master maintenance. It is possible to detect moving targets using high-resolution radar, and space-based satellites can track missiles after they are launched. If a target is identified, it is designated in geographical coordinates. Ideally, these designations are accurate, and a weapon can be used to engage the target with sufficient accuracy.
This is attributed to increasing demand for anti-aircraft and missile defense systems, growing military budgets, and a rise in territorial disputes. The adoption of advanced technologies for the manufacturing of the air defense systems is also anticipated to contribute to the industry's growth. The increasing adoption of the latest software technologies and autonomous weapons are also boosting the market's outlook.
The global air defense systems market is hindered by factors such as high cost required for development of air defense systems and regulatory challenges associated with the Arm Transfer.
In July 2022, the Defense Ministry of U.K. planned to spend US$ 2.7 billion to upgrade radars and other systems on Typhoon jets. Typhoon jets will be upgraded with ECRS Mk 2 radars.
In May 2022, India claimed to procure 12 Swathi radars for tracking and surveillance of weapons near the India-China border. Swathi has the capability to track shells, mortars, and rockets within 50 kilometers of range.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global air defense systems market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR%) for the forecast period (2023–2030), considering 2022 as the base year
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players
- It profiles key players in the global air defense systems market based on the following parameters – company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Hanwha Defense, Raytheon Company, Aselsan AS, Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd., The Boeing Company, Rheinmetall AG, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Thales Group, Kongsberg Gruppen, Lockheed Martin Corporation, Leonardo SpA, and SAAB AB
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics
- The global air defense systems market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global air defense systems market
- Global Air Defense Systems Market, By System
- Missile Defense Systems
- Anti-aircraft Systems
- Counter Unmanned Aerial Systems (C-UAS)
- Global Air Defense Systems Market, By Platform
- Global Air Defense Systems Market, By Range
- Long-range Air Defense System
- Medium-range Air Defense System
- Short-range Air Defense System
- Global Air Defense Systems Market, By Type
- Threat Detection
- Global Air Defense Systems Market, By Geography
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East & Africa
- Company Profiles:
- Raytheon Company
- Israel Aerospace Industries Ltd
- Rheinmetall AG
- Thales Group
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- SAAB AB
- Leonardo SpA
- Kongsberg Gruppen
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- The Boeing Company
- Aselsan AS
- Hanwha Defense