Macular Degeneration is an eye disease affecting the macula (the centre of the light-sensitive retina at the back of the eye), causing loss of central vision. It's generally caused by abnormal blood vessels that leak fluid or blood into the macula. There are 2 types of age-related macular degeneration, such as dry and wet. There is no cure, but macular degeneration (AMD) treatment help slow the disease and keep people from having a severe vision loss. However, the treatment depends on the stage and type. Dry AMD tends to progress more slowly than the wet type, and there is not, as of yet, an approved treatment or cure. The dry type is more common, but it usually progresses slowly (over years). However, treatment depends on the type of AMD.
Increasing prevalence of retinal disease, growing geriatric population, rise in demand for safe and effective treatment, and increasing number of clinical trials are major factors expected to propel growth of the global macular degeneration treatment market. For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), age-related macular degeneration is a major cause of blindness worldwide and is the leading cause of vision loss and blindness for Americans aged 65 years and older, and the number of older Americans is projected to nearly double from 48 million to 88 million in 2050.
In September 2021, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Byooviz (ranibizumab-nuna) as the first biosimilar to Lucentis (ranibizumab injection) for the treatment of several eye conditions, including neovascular age-related macular degeneration (nAMD), a leading cause of vision loss and blindness for Americans aged 65 years and older.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global macular degeneration treatment market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global macular degeneration treatment market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include Bayer AG, REGENXBIO Inc., Panoptica, Pfizer Inc., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Regeneron Pharmaceutical Inc., Novartis AG, Aerie Pharmaceutical Inc., and Bausch Health Companies Inc.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global macular degeneration treatment market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global macular degeneration treatment market.
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, By Type:
- Dry Age-related Macular Degeneration
- Wet Age-related Macular Degeneration
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, By Stage of Disease:
- Early-stage AMD
- Intermediate AMD
- Late-stage AMD
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, By Route of Administration:
- Intravenous Route
- Intravitreal Route
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, By Sales Channel:
- Ambulatory Surgical Centres
- Other Sales Channels
- Global Macular Degeneration Treatment Market, By Geography:
- North America
- South America
- Middle East & Africa