Smallpox is an acute contagious disease caused by the variola virus, a member of the orthopoxvirus family. There is no cure for smallpox, but vaccination can be used effectively to prevent infection from developing if given during a period of up to four days after a person has been exposed to the virus. There is no known specific treatment for smallpox, although research is being carried out in an attempt to create a medication capable of killing the virus.
A rise in the burden of smallpox, growing demand for safe and effective treatment, a rise in focus on the development of safe and effective vaccines, and favorable government initiatives are major factors expected to propel the growth of the global smallpox treatment market.
For instance, in June 2021, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved brincidofovir (BCV, Tembexa,) which is manufactured by Chimerix Inc., a U.S.-based biopharmaceutical company, to treat smallpox. The FDA approved Tembexa under the agency’s Animal Rule, which allows findings from adequate and well-controlled animal efficacy studies to serve as the basis of approval when it is not feasible or ethical to conduct efficacy trials in humans.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global smallpox treatment market, and provides market size (US$ million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2023–2030), considering 2022 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global smallpox treatment market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include SIGA Technologies, Inc., Bavarian Nordic A/S, Emergent BioSolutions Inc., GlaxoSmithKline plc, Sanofi, Merck & Co., Inc., Pfizer Inc., Bharat Biotech International Ltd. and Chimerix, Inc.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global smallpox treatment market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global smallpox treatment market.
Smallpox Treatment Market Detailed Segmentation:
- By Treatment Type:
- Antiviral Drugs
- Supportive Care
- By Route of Administration:
- Others (Topical, etc.)
- By Distribution Channel:
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- By Region:
- North America
- Latin America
- Asia Pacific
- Middle East
- Company Profiles:
- SIGA Technologies, Inc.
- Bavarian Nordic A/S
- Emergent BioSolutions Inc.
- GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Merck & Co., Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Bharat Biotech International Ltd.
- Chimerix, Inc.