Temperature management remains a significant component of hospital care for all neonatal and paediatric patients. Temperature management refers to a treatment carried out to maintain body temperature of a patient for specific duration. It helps reduce the risk of tissue injury due to the lack of blood flow and helps improve health conditions. Body temperature is very important in medicine. A number of diseases are characterized by a change in body temperature. Monitoring body temperature, even when people are healthy, can help detect disease early. Therefore, close monitoring and regulation to avoid extremes of body temperature is particularly important in critically ill patient. Temperature is one of the vital signs signifying the well-being of a person, thereby temperature monitoring and management is a part of standard care.
The global Temperature Management Market was valued at US$ 2,856.6 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 3,814.3 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 4.2% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the Global Temperature Management Market in 2020, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Temperature Management Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In January 2022, Medtronic entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Affera. Affera offers technologies that support physicians in improving clinical workflows, procedural efficiencies, and ultimately optimizing patient care.
In June 2021, Geratherm Medical AG showcased products at the ARAB HEALTH 2021 in the fields of body temperature measurement, blood pressure measurement, temperature management – hypothermia prevention, and respiratory.
Temperature Management Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 2,856.6 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2021
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 3,814.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Patient Warming Systems and Patient Cooling Systems
- By Application: Cardiology, Orthopaedics, Neurology, and Other Applications
- By End User: Operating Rooms, Intensive Care Units, Emergency Rooms, and Other End Users
- By Geography: North America, Europe , Asia-Pacific, South America, and Middle East & Africa
3M, Zoll Medical Corporation, Stryker Corporation, Smith Medical Inc., Medtronic PLC, Geratherm Medical AG, Dragerwerk AG & Co. KgaA, Atom Medical Corporation, Cincinnati Sub-Zero Products LLC, and Becton, Dickinson and Company, among others
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases
- Increasing volume of surgical procedures
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High cost of temperature management systems
- Product recalls and failures
- High prevalence chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular diseases and cancer, worldwide is expected to fuel growth of the global Temperature Management Market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the World Health Organization (WHO), cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of death globally. An estimated 17.9 million people died from cardiovascular diseases in 2019, representing 32% of all global deaths. Moreover, cancer was the leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for nearly 10 million deaths in 2020.
- Increasing volume of surgical procedures across the globe is expected to drive growth of the global Temperature Management Market during the forecast period. For instance, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, in 2020, over 6.8 million reconstructive procedures, 13.2 million cosmetic minimally invasive procedures, and around 2.3 million cosmetic surgical procedures were performed in the United States.
Figure 2. Global Temperature Management Market Share (%), by Product, 2021
- High cost of temperature management systems is expected to hinder growth of the global Temperature Management Market. The cost of temperature management devices depends upon the specification and features of the device and brand of the device. For instance, the average price of Warrior Blood and Fluid Warmer by Bell Medical Inc. is USD 3,438 - USD 5,403.
- Products recalls and failures are expected to hamper the growth of the global Temperature Management Market. For instance, in September 2021, Smiths Medical recalled half a million Normoflo irrigation fluid warmers and warmer sets due to the potential for aluminium ions to leach into warmed fluids. The recall has been designated as a Class I recall, the most serious kind, by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Technological advances in temperature management systems is expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global Temperature Management Market. For instance, in April 2021, TSS introduced a new era of efficiency, with next-generation Bluetooth-powered temperature monitoring solutions that help life science supply chain professionals automate their processes for time and cost savings while securing patient safety.
- Growing geriatric population worldwide is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global Temperature Management Market. For instance, according to the WHO, by 2030, 1 in 6 people in the world will be aged 60 years or over, and the world’s population of people aged 60 years and older will double (2.1 billion) by 2050.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Increasing demand for temperature management systems/devices worldwide is expected to boost the growth of the global Temperature Management Market. For instance, in March 2019, Smiths Medical launched Level 1 convective warmer, a next-generation high-flow convective warmer that gives health care providers a quiet, simple, and safe thermal care solution to help patients maintain normal body temperature through every stage of surgery.
- Growing number of contracts and agreements between market players is expected to propel the growth of the global Temperature Management Market. For instance, in May 2021, ZOLL Medical Corporation and Global Healthcare SG signed exclusive agreement for distribution of portable targeted temperature management system in Asia Pacific.
- Atom Medical Corporation
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Cincinnati Sub-Zero Products LLC
- Dragerwerk AG & Co. KGaA
- Geratherm Medical AG
- Medtronic PLC
- Smith Medical Inc.
- Stryker Corporation
- Zoll Medical Corporation
Temperature management system helps maintain and regulate body temperature of the patient in recovery rooms, operating theaters, intensive care units, and other areas of hospitals. Several diseases are characterized by a change in body temperature. Temperature plays a crucial role in medical care (both humans and animals). Our overall health is often reliant upon temperature in many ways. These systems are critical for patients in every setting. Moreover, maintaining temperature levels in medical cold storage areas is also critical.
High demand for temperature management devices or systems due to increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and increasing number of surgeries around the world is expected to augment the growth of the global Temperature Management Market over the forecast period. For instance, in October 2020, Gentherm announced that it has received 510(k) clearance from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and has launched the ASTOPADTM Patient Warming System in the United States. The ASTOPAD system can be utilized in all surgical procedures and helps prevent and treat hypothermia in patients throughout the perioperative journey.
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global Temperature Management Market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global Temperature Management Market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include 3M, Zoll Medical Corporation, Stryker Corporation, Smith Medical Inc., Geratherm Medical AG, Dragerwerk AG & Co. KgaA, Atom Medical Corporation, Cincinnati Sub-Zero Products LLC, Medtronic PLC, and Becton, Dickinson and Company, among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global Temperature Management Market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global Temperature Management Market.
- Global Temperature Management Market, By Product Type:
- Patient Warming Systems
- Patient Cooling Systems
- Global Temperature Management Market, By Application:
- Other Applications
- Global Temperature Management Market, By End User:
- Operating Rooms
- Intensive Care Units
- Emergency Rooms
- Other End Users
- Global Temperature Management Market, By Geography:
- North America
- South America
- Middle East & Africa