Foam rollers are used to apply pressure on certain body parts for relieving pain. It is used in workouts to improve muscle recovery and increase flexibility. It helps in preventing muscle soreness and tightness. Foam rollers are used to massage muscles, in self-acupressure, as a yoga prop, and core strengthening and stretching exercises.
Growing health awareness and increasing participation in physical fitness activities is driving growth of the global foam roller market. For instance, according to Sports England, which is public body under the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 229,400 more people played sport in 2016 than they did in 2015 in the U.K.
According to the World Health Organization, 650 million adults were obese in 2016, globally. Rise in instances of obesity and growing awareness of health complications due to obesity such as high blood pressure, heart diseases, and osteoarthritis is increasing focus of people on exercise. Increasing adoption of exercise is in turn increasing demand for exercise equipment such as foam rollers.
- Foam roller market in North America is estimated to grow at a significant pace during the forecast period (2019-2026). Moreover, the U.S. held the highest market share in 2017 in the North America foam roller market. This is attributed to increasing number of people actively involving in sports and exercise. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, daily average participation in sports and exercise grew up to 3.6% in 2015, as compared to that in 2003. According to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), in the U.S., over 460,000 student athletes compete in over two sports activities, every year.
- Europe held significant market share in the global foam roller market in 2017. Increasing government investments in training programs and facilities that make it easier for people to play sports and develop their talent is burgeoning growth of this market. For instance, in 2017, Sport England received US$ 68 Bn from the U.K. government and National Lottery funding to invest in projects that will create opportunity to play sports.
- Players operating in the foam roller market are launching new innovative products to cater to increasing demand for their products. For instance, in July 2017, TriggerPoint launched GRID VIBE premium vibrating foam roller consisting for pain reduction and muscle relaxation.
- Key players operating in the global foam roller market include Implus Footcare LLC, Technogym S.p.A., Yes4All, RumbleRoller, Adidas AG, Joinfit Hong Kong, LuxFitProducts, Master of Muscle, and ProSource.
- In April 2019, Kinetic Phase Ltd launched a vibrating foam roller, namely the Kinetic Phase I, a fitness tech product. The product has been developed for consumers who are experiencing injury rehabilitation. The product enhances the recovery via its 4000RPM motor coupled with trigger point moulds which helps in healing painful knots and tight muscles.
- In September 2018, the Pulseroll, a vibrating foam roller brand and Loughborough Sport announced their partnership to supply vibrating foam rollers and self-massage products to Loughborough Sport. The partnership also aims to provide training on Pulseroll’s product range by Loughborough Sport’s instructors and would also support Loughborough’s athletes with educational workshops.
- In September 2016, Perfect Fitness, a designer of fitness equipment and TriggerPoint, a foam roller product manufacturer announced their partnership for virtual training platform with workout videos. The workout videos would feature Perfect Fitness products and TriggerPoint’s form message tools including foam rollers.
The global foam roller market is segmented into:
By Product Type
- Low-density Foam Rollers
- Firm Foam Rollers
- Short Foam Rollers
- Bumpy Foam Rollers
- Medium-density Foam Rollers
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa