The global L-ergothioneine (EGT) market is projected to grow from US$ 40.8 million in 2023 to US$ 389.3 million by 2030, at a CAGR of 38%. The growth of the market is being driven by the increasing demand for EGT in the pharmaceutical, cosmetics, and food industries. EGT is a naturally occurring amino acid that has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and neuroprotective properties. It is also known to improve skin health and protect against UV radiation damage.
The pharmaceutical industry is the major driver of the EGT market. EGT is being used in the development of new drugs for the treatment of a variety of diseases, including neurodegenerative disorders, heart disease, and cancer. The cosmetics industry is also a major driver of the market, as EGT is being used in the development of new anti-aging and sun protection products. The food industry is also expected to drive the market in the coming years, as EGT is being added to food products as a natural preservative and nutrient enhancer.
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Regional Insights
- North America is the largest market for L-Ergothioneine (EGT), accounting for 35% of the global market share in 2022. This is due to the high prevalence of chronic diseases in the region, such as heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease. In addition, the presence of a large number of pharmaceutical and dietary supplement companies in the region is also driving the growth of the market.
- Europe is the second-largest market for L-Ergothioneine (EGT), accounting for 25% of the global market share in 2022. This is due to the increasing awareness of the health benefits of L-Ergothioneine in the region. In addition, the presence of a large number of research institutes and universities in Europe is also driving the growth of the market.
- Asia-Pacific is the third-largest market for L-Ergothioneine (EGT), accounting for 20% of the global market share in 2022. This is due to the growing demand for dietary supplements in the region. In addition, the increasing prevalence of chronic diseases in Asia-Pacific is also driving the growth of the market.
Figure 1. Global L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Drivers
- Increasing consumer awareness about health and wellness: There has been a growing emphasis on leading a healthy lifestyle and the consumption of natural ingredients. L-Ergothioneine, a naturally occurring antioxidant and amino acid, is gaining popularity due to its potential health benefits, such as its role in cellular protection and its ability to scavenge free radicals. The rising consumer awareness about the importance of antioxidants in maintaining overall health is driving the demand for L-Ergothioneine.
- Expanding applications in the pharmaceutical industry: L-Ergothioneine has shown promising therapeutic properties, including anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and neuroprotective effects. These properties have attracted the attention of the pharmaceutical industry for potential use in various medical treatments. The increasing research and development activities related to L-Ergothioneine and its applications in pharmaceutical formulations are driving the market growth.
- Growing demand in the skincare and cosmetic industry: L-Ergothioneine is known for its skin-protecting and anti-aging properties. It helps in preventing oxidative damage, reducing inflammation, and promoting collagen synthesis. These qualities have led to its incorporation in various skincare and cosmetic products, including creams, serums, and anti-aging formulations. The rising demand for natural and effective ingredients in the beauty industry is fueling the growth of the L-Ergothioneine market.
- Advancements in production technologies: The development of efficient and cost-effective production technologies for L-Ergothioneine has contributed to its increased availability in the market. Technological advancements, such as improved fermentation processes and genetic engineering techniques, have enabled higher yields and enhanced production efficiency, making L-Ergothioneine more accessible and commercially viable.
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Opportunities
- Increasing demand for natural and organic products: With the rising consumer preference for natural and organic ingredients, there is a growing opportunity for L-Ergothioneine in various industries. L-Ergothioneine is derived from natural sources such as mushrooms and certain microorganisms, making it a desirable ingredient for companies looking to meet the demand for natural and organic products.
- Expansion of dietary supplements market: The global dietary supplements market is experiencing significant growth due to the increasing focus on preventive healthcare and the rising awareness about the benefits of nutritional supplementation. L-Ergothioneine is gaining traction as a dietary supplement ingredient due to its antioxidant properties and potential health benefits. The expanding dietary supplements market presents a substantial opportunity for the inclusion of L-Ergothioneine in various formulations.
- Rising demand for anti-aging products: The global anti-aging market is witnessing steady growth as consumers seek products that help them maintain a youthful appearance and combat the signs of aging. L-Ergothioneine's ability to scavenge free radicals, protect cells from oxidative stress, and promote collagen synthesis makes it an attractive ingredient for anti-aging skincare products. The increasing demand for effective and natural anti-aging solutions provides an opportunity for the incorporation of L-Ergothioneine in such products.
- Potential applications in sports nutrition: Sports nutrition is a rapidly growing market segment, driven by the increasing interest in fitness and physical performance enhancement. L-Ergothioneine's antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties can be beneficial for athletes and fitness enthusiasts by supporting muscle recovery, reducing exercise-induced oxidative stress, and enhancing overall performance. The sports nutrition industry presents an opportunity for L-Ergothioneine as an ingredient in pre-workout and recovery supplements.
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 40.8 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 389.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Application: pharmaceuticals, cosmetics, dietary supplements, functional food and beverages, and animal nutrition
- By End-Use Industry: pharmaceuticals, personal care and cosmetics, food and beverages, animal feed and nutrition, and others
- By Source: mushrooms (e.g., shiitake, king oyster), algae, and bacteria
- By Distribution Channel: direct sales, distributors, online retail, and specialty stores
- By Product Form: powder, capsules, tablets, liquid, and Creams.
AnaSpec, Inc., Cayman Chemical Company, Kaneka Corporation, Sigma-Aldrich (part of Merck KGaA), Gold Biotechnology, Inc., Xi'an Lyphar Biotech Co.,, Ltd.,ChemFaces, Henan Senyuan Biological Technology Co., Ltd., Chengdu Biopurify Phytochemicals Ltd., Shenzhen Lvshiyuan Biotechnology Co., Ltd.
- Increasing consumer awareness about health and wellness
- Expanding applications in the pharmaceutical industry
- Growing demand in the skincare and cosmetic industry
- Advancements in production technologies
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Limited availability of natural sources
- Cost considerations
- Regulatory challenges
- Limited awareness among consumers and professionals
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Trends
- Increasing demand for clean label and natural ingredients: Consumers are increasingly seeking products with clean labels, meaning they want ingredients that are natural, recognizable, and minimally processed. L-Ergothioneine, being a naturally occurring compound derived from mushrooms and microorganisms, aligns with this clean label trend. As a result, manufacturers are incorporating L-Ergothioneine into their products to meet consumer demand for natural and clean label ingredients.
- Growth in personalized nutrition: Personalized nutrition, which involves tailoring nutritional products and supplements to individual needs, is gaining traction. L-Ergothioneine's antioxidant and health-promoting properties make it a suitable ingredient for personalized nutrition solutions. Companies are exploring the inclusion of L-Ergothioneine in personalized supplements and functional foods to cater to consumers' specific health goals and requirements.
- Expansion in skincare and beauty industry: The skincare and beauty industry is witnessing a surge in demand for natural and effective ingredients. L-Ergothioneine's skin-protecting, anti-aging, and antioxidant properties position it as a desirable ingredient for skincare and beauty products. As a result, the market is witnessing an increasing number of L-Ergothioneine-infused formulations such as serums, creams, masks, and anti-aging products.
- Growing emphasis on preventive healthcare: There is a notable shift towards preventive healthcare and wellness among consumers. L-Ergothioneine's potential health benefits, including its role as an antioxidant and cellular protector, align with this trend. Consumers are seeking products that support overall well-being and help prevent age-related diseases. The demand for L-Ergothioneine as a dietary supplement and functional food ingredient is rising as a result.
L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Restraints
- Limited availability of natural sources: L-Ergothioneine is primarily derived from natural sources such as mushrooms and certain microorganisms. However, the limited availability of these sources can pose a challenge in meeting the growing demand for L-Ergothioneine. Scaling up production to match the market demand while ensuring a sustainable supply of natural sources can be a constraint for the industry.
- Cost considerations: The production and extraction processes for L-Ergothioneine can be complex and costly. Factors such as the need for specialized equipment, fermentation techniques, and purification methods contribute to the overall production costs. The cost of L-Ergothioneine can impact its affordability and market competitiveness, especially in price-sensitive consumer segments or industries.
- Regulatory challenges: As a relatively novel ingredient, L-Ergothioneine may face regulatory challenges and uncertainties in some regions. The approval processes and regulatory requirements can vary across different jurisdictions, which may result in delays or limitations in market access. Compliance with stringent regulatory standards, including safety assessments and labeling requirements, can pose additional challenges for manufacturers and suppliers.
- Limited awareness among consumers and professionals: Despite the increasing awareness of L-Ergothioneine's potential health benefits, it is still relatively unknown to many consumers and healthcare professionals. Lack of familiarity and limited awareness can hinder the adoption and market penetration of L-Ergothioneine-based products. Educating consumers and professionals about the benefits and applications of L-Ergothioneine is crucial to drive market growth.
New product launches
- ErgoFlex by Oxis International: This joint health supplement contains EGT, glucosamine, hyaluronic acid, and other ingredients. It has been shown to reduce pain and increase the range of motion of joints in a small human clinical study.
- ErgoProtect by Blue California: This dietary supplement contains EGT, as well as other antioxidants such as vitamin C and E. It is marketed for its potential to protect against cell damage and improve overall health.
- ErgoSkin by Mironova Labs: This skin care cream contains EGT, as well as other ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and peptides. It is marketed for its potential to reduce wrinkles, improve skin elasticity, and protect against sun damage.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2019, Kyowa Hakko Kirin acquired the rights to develop and commercialize EGT from Astellas Pharma. Kyowa Hakko Kirin is a Japanese pharmaceutical company that specializes in amino acids and other natural products. They plan to develop EGT as a treatment for a variety of diseases, including cancer, neurodegenerative disorders, and cardiovascular disease.
- In 2020, ChromaDex entered into a partnership with Allergan to develop and commercialize EGT. ChromaDex is a US-based company that specializes in dietary supplements. They plan to develop EGT as a dietary supplement for improving health and well-being.
Figure 2. Global L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market Share (%), by type of application, 2023
Top companies in L-Ergothioneine (EGT) Market
- AnaSpec, Inc.
- Cayman Chemical Company
- Kaneka Corporation
- Sigma-Aldrich (part of Merck KGaA)
- Gold Biotechnology, Inc.
- Xi'an Lyphar Biotech Co., Ltd.
- Henan Senyuan Biological Technology Co., Ltd.
- Chengdu Biopurify Phytochemicals Ltd.
- Shenzhen Lvshiyuan Biotechnology Co., Ltd.
*Definition: The L-Ergothioneine (EGT) market refers to the global market for L-Ergothioneine, a naturally occurring amino acid and powerful antioxidant. It includes the production, distribution, and consumption of L-Ergothioneine across various industries such as cosmetics, personal care, food and beverages, and dietary supplements. The market is driven by factors such as increasing consumer awareness of the health benefits of antioxidants, rising demand for natural and clean label ingredients, and the growing applications of L-Ergothioneine in different sectors.