Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Generally engineers use PCB design software to design the printed circuit board (PCB) on a device. It adopts numerous features, which are focused on addressing issues an engineer usually faces related to signal and power integrity. PCB design software is integrated with other related software such as PLM, which aids engineers to better comprehend designs and layouts of PCBs. The scope of the study includes major sub-categories of PCB design software: schematic capture, layout editor, auto-router, analysis tools, and testing tools.
The global PCB design software market is estimated to be valued at US$ 2,482.3 million in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 13.6 % over the forecast period (2021-2028).
In April 2021, Altium Limited a US based software company is planning to launch a cloud based platform called Nexar to connect PCB design, software and component manufacturers.
In June 2020, Zuken Inc., a Japan based multinational corporation company 3D multi-board PCB design environment CR-8000.
Figure 1. Global PCB Design Software Market Value (US$ Mn), by Region, 2020
North America held dominant position in the global PCB Design Software market in 2020, accounting for 39.4% share in terms of Value, followed by Europe, APAC respectively.
Market Dynamics- Drivers
Increasing need to minimize product development time and errors is expected to drive growth of the global PCB design software market during the forecast period. An engineer is required to consider numerous aspects such as input signals, error tolerance, and desired input before designing a PCB. Furthermore, an engineer can mimic the circuit design and can get an inkling to real-time issues related to applying the circuit, owing to PCB software design. These are features and benefits driving increasing adoption of PCB software in the global market.
Availability of flexible designs is expected to propel the global PCB design software market growth over the forecast period. Numerous times engineers misplace a component and realize that mistake much later. As a result of this, they have to rebuild the entire prototype, which incurs in additional cost, labor, and time. However, engineers can modify designs and make the necessary changes required for adequate performance, which in turn, saves the additional cost.
Advent of advanced technologies can present lucrative growth opportunities. Portable devices such as smartphones and tablets with features such as increased storage capacity enhanced performance, and better processing speed presents major business opportunities. Furthermore, with advancements in technology, the size of PCB boards is decreasing. Major companies in the market can capitalize on these opportunities and gain a competitive advantage in the market.
Improving PCB design software to cater to varying demands major business opportunities. The complexity and demand for PCB design software are expected to increase, owing to rising demand for smaller devices.
PCB Design Software Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 2,482.3 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 6,064.5 Mn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., France, Italy, Poland, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa, Rest of Middle East
- By Technology: High-end Software, Mainstream Software, Low-end Software
- By End-user Type: Computing Industry, Consumer Electronics Industry, Communication Industry, Medical Industry, Automotive Industry, Defense Industry
Cadence Design Systems, Inc., Altium LLC, Mentor Graphics Corporation, WestDev Ltd., Zuken Inc., AutoDesk Inc. ANSYS, Inc., and Synopsys, Inc.
- Increasing need to minimize product development time and errors
- Availability of flexible designs
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Complexity of software making time-consuming process
- Availability of open-source software
Recent trends in PCB design software market include integration of services such as simulation, thermal stress management, and product lifecycle management (PLM). Validating the functionality of circuit before fabricating saves significantly on time and cost. Moreover, PLM software gives engineers an overall idea in terms of simulation regarding how the product will perform in different situations. For instance, Siemens AG’s PLM software, Teamcenter, supports PCB design, and simulation.
Machines and vehicles deployed for defense applications are frequently reviewed, in order to keep them updated with changing regulatory norms. Moreover, recent trends in military applications include the advent of UAV built with next-generation technologies. Monitoring of these UAVs is carried out using computers. Therefore, PCB design software vendors are introducing features that support next-generation technologies.
Figure 2. Global PCB Design Software Market Share, By Technology, 2020
Key Takeaways of the Graph:
- The mainstream segment held dominant position in the market and accounted for 35.5% share in the global PCB design software market in 2020. The segment is expected to reach US$ Mainstream Software million in 2028, owing to increased demand of PCB software from PCB manufacturers
Market Dynamics- Restraints
Complexity of software making time-consuming process is expected to restrain growth of the global PCB design software market during the forecast period. When engineers are designing PCB with the help of software, it fails to meet their expectations. This is owing to changing requirements associated with signal and power integrity. Furthermore, software that tackles required features is extremely complicated to operate and hence comprehending them would be time-consuming.
Availability of open-source software is expected to hinder the global PCB design software market growth over the forecast period. A number of times, PCB design software is available on the internet for free. In fact, there are pirated copies of this software available in the free-to-download option, which in turn reduces market share of software designers.
Key players operating in the global PCB design software market are Cadence Design Systems, Inc., Altium LLC, Mentor Graphics Corporation, WestDev Ltd., Zuken Inc., AutoDesk Inc. ANSYS, Inc., and Synopsys, Inc.
- Major companies are focused on product launches, in order to expand the product portfolio. For instance, in October 2019, Altium LLC introduced the newest version of Altium Designer, a software preferred by professional PCB designers and engineers.
- Key players are involved in product launches, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in November 2018, Mentor Graphics Corporation, a subsidiary of Siemens AG, introduced Xpedition, a printed circuit board (PCB) design platform focused on several multi-dimensional verification.