Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is a group of polymeric organosilicon compounds, which are commonly referred to as silicones. Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is a clear, non-toxic, non-flammable, colorless, and viscous liquid that is insoluble in water and ethanol. PDMS is a widely used silicon-based organic polymer. It is used as elastomers, antifoaming agents, ant-caking agents, and lubricants in industries such as food & beverages, personal care, and pharmaceuticals.
Physical and chemical properties of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) such as high and low temperature stability, low surface tension, oxidative stability, and spreadability are major factors driving demand for polydimethylsiloxane. Furthermore, polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is recognized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a protective agent in topical skin care products.
- Among application, antifoaming agents segment held significant market share in the polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market across the globe in 2017. This is due to increasing demand for antifoaming agents from food and beverages industry. Polydimethylsiloxane is used as an antifoaming agent in cooking oils to prevent oil splatter. Moreover, it is used in fast foods such as French fries, Chicken McNuggets, milkshakes, hash browns, and smoothies. For instance, according to the Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI), the total consumption of food and beverages in India was valued at US$ 369 billion in 2017 and is expected to increase to US$ 1.142 trillion by 2025.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing region in the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market in 2017, due to increasing demand for PDMS in medical devices such as lab-on-a-chip (LOC) devices, 3D tissue culture platforms, biological machines, and organ-on-a-chip devices. Owing to its various properties such as elasticity, transparency, nontoxicity and durability PDMS is widely used in medical devices. Further steadily growing medical device market in the region is supporting the growth of the PDMS market. For instance, according to the India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), Indian medical devices market was valued at US$ 10 billion in 2017 and is expected to reach US$ 25 billion by 2025.
- Europe accounted for significant market share in the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market in 2017. This is owing to increasing demand for PDMS in personal care and cosmetic products. Polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) is used as an ingredient in skin care and beauty products, due to its ability to serve as an anti-foaming agent, conditioner, and skin protectant. For instance, according to the United States Department of Commerce, cosmetic industry in Germany was valued at US$ 14.3 billion in 2016.
- North America held a significant market share in the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market in 2017, due to increasing demand for PDMS in confectionery products. Polydimethylsiloxane is used as an anti-caking and antifoaming agent in confectionery, flour products, and in edible oils. For instance, according to the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the U.S confectionery market is divided into three major countries, in that Canada accounted for 42% of the total confectionery market.
Key players operating in the global polydimethylsiloxane market include The Dow Chemical Company, Wacker Chemie AG, Elkem Silicones, Hubei Xin Sihai Chemical Co., Momentive, Shin-Etsu Chemical Co., Alfa Aesar, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, and Fisher Scientific International Inc.
Key players are strategically investing in mergers, acquisitions, and product development activities to enhance their market share and retain dominant position in the market. For instance, Hexion Specialty Chemicals, a global supplier of thermoset resins merged with Momentive which is manufacturer of quartz and silicones-based specialty materials in 2010.
Furthermore, in January 2018, Pennsylvania State University discovered 3D printing, which improved cell adhesion and strength of PDMS polymer. The mix of two different polymer forms can switch manufacturing of silicone parts from molding, casting, and spin coating of simple forms to 3D printing of complex geometries.
On the basis of form, the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market is segmented into:
On the basis of application, the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market is segmented into:
- Antifoaming agents
- Medical devices
- Others (Hydraulic Fluids and Heat Transfer Fluids)
On the basis of end-use industry, the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market is segmented into:
- Food & Beverages
- Personal Care and Cosmetics
On the basis of region, the global polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa