The global Resolvers market size was valued at US$ 970 Million in 2023 and is expected to reach US$ 1670 Million by 2030, grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 8% from 2023 to 2030.
Resolvers are electromechanical devices that perform angular position measurements. They are used in myriad applications that require precise shaft angular positioning and speed control, including industrial robots, antilock braking systems, machine tools, and other automation systems. Key factors driving market growth include increasing use of resolvers in defense equipment such as radars, motion control systems, satellites etc. and growth of industrial automation. The Resolvers Market is segmented by type, axis type, end-use industry, output, component and region. By type, the market is segmented into brushless resolvers, brushed resolvers and others. The brushless resolvers segment accounts for the largest share of the Resolvers Market owing to their various advantages over brushed resolvers such as contactless design, higher accuracy and reliability.
Resolvers Market Regional Insights
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the largest market for Resolvers Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 41.2% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the rapidly expanding defense, aerospace, automotive and automation industries in emerging economies such as China and India.
- The North America market is expected to be the second-largest market for Resolvers Market, accounting for over 22.3% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to increasing research and development activities and investments in the defense and aerospace sectors.
- The Europe market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for Resolvers Market, with a CAGR of over 7.8% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Europe is attributed to growing adoption of Industry 4.0 and automation technologies across industrial sectors.
Figure 1. Global Resolvers Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Resolvers Market Drivers:
- Increasing use in defense equipment: The use of resolvers is increasing significantly in defense applications such as radars, motion control systems, satellites, and other navigation and positioning equipment. Resolvers are highly reliable and accurate, which makes them suitable for defense applications. For instance, Northrop Grumman utilizes rugged resolvers on the turret drive system for its AN/TPY-2 radar. Increased defense spending globally is driving the adoption of resolvers in critical defense electronic systems. Defense forces are also retrofitting legacy equipment with modern resolvers for improved capabilities. The robust design and resistance to vibration enables long service life for resolvers in defense applications.
- Growth of industrial automation: The growing automation across process industries is creating substantial demand for resolvers in servomotors, robotics, CNC machines, and other automated systems. Resolvers enable accurate tracking of angular position in feedback control systems for automation. Key industries driving resolver adoption include automotive, metals & mining, oil & gas, power generation, chemicals production, and food & beverage. For example, resolvers are used extensively in automotive powertrain systems and assembly lines. The increasing investments in Industry 4.0 technologies is accelerating the automation trend in the industrial sector. This is likely to spur the adoption of resolvers significantly.
- Advancements in resolver technology: Ongoing advancements such as contactless resolvers, hollow bore resolvers, multi-speed resolvers, absolute encoders, and the development of ASICs have enhanced the capabilities and performance of resolvers. Modern resolvers offer higher accuracy, reliability, resolution, and faster processing than earlier models. Manufacturers are developing customized and application specific resolvers according to end-user requirements. The emergence of smart resolvers integrated with electronics and the Industrial Internet of Things (IIoT) also presents growth opportunities.
- Rising adoption of motion control systems: The growing use of motion control systems in automation solutions is driving the adoption of resolvers as position sensors. Resolvers allow precise closed-loop motion control in servo motors. They find wide applications in motion control for factory automation, CNC machines, robotics, conveyors systems, and packaging equipment. Resolvers enable efficient coordination between motors and provide position feedback. Advancements in multi-axis motion controllers and Industry 4.0 are catalyzing the use of resolvers for motion control across industries.
Resolvers Market Opportunities:
- Potential applications in electric vehicles: Resolvers present significant opportunities for angular position sensing in electric vehicle powertrain systems including traction motors, power inverters, gearboxes and rotors. The shift towards electric vehicles globally will drive the adoption of resolvers in e-mobility applications requiring fault-tolerant position sensing. Resolvers can withstand harsh conditions in EVs and enable precise torque control for electric motors. Leading automotive companies are utilizing resolvers to develop safer and smarter electric vehicles.
- Integration with wind turbines: Modern wind turbines require reliable solutions for blade pitch control and yaw positioning. Resolvers can provide accurate position feedback for wind turbine drive systems operating under tough environmental conditions. Resolvers do not get affected by debris, humidity or temperature fluctuations in wind turbines. OEMs are integrating resolvers in wind turbine generators and gearboxes to maximize power generation efficiency. The growing global investments in wind energy projects will spur the adoption of resolvers in wind turbines.
- Use in collaborative robots: Collaborative robots require precise joint control and human safety systems for effective functioning. The high accuracy and absolute positioning ability of resolvers enables enhanced control of collaborative robot joints and limbs. Leading robotics firms such as Fanuc and ABB are implementing resolvers for precise joint positioning in cobots. Resolvers also allow advanced torque sensing capability for safer human-robot collaboration. The surging adoption of cobots across industries is likely to drive resolver integration in collaborative robots.
- Adoption in space applications: Resolvers are finding increasing application in spacecraft attitude control, antenna positioning, and other pointing systems. They can provide accurate positional feedback in harsh space environments. Resolvers do not get affected by radiation and thermal fluctuations in space. Space organizations such as NASA, ESA, ISRO and leading aerospace firms are utilizing resolvers extensively in launch vehicles, satellites and spacecraft payloads owing to their reliability advantages.
Resolvers Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 970 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 1670 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Type: Brushless Resolvers, Brushed Resolvers, Others
- By Axis Type: 1-Axis, 2-Axis, 3-Axis, Others
- By End-use Industry: Aerospace & Defense, Automotive, Industrial, Others
- By Output: Digital, Analog, Others
- By Component: Stator, Rotor, Converter, Others
Moog Inc., Honeywell International Inc., AMETEK Inc., TE Connectivity, Woodward Inc., General Dynamics Corporation, Parker Hannifin Corp, Sensata Technologies, Tamagawa Seiki Co., Ltd., LTN Servotechnik GmbH, Maxon Group, Bevone, Danaher Corporation, Kollmorgen, TE Connectivity, ALXION, Micronor, Elmo Motion Control, Electro-Sensors, Siko GmbH
- Increasing use of resolvers in defense equipment
- Growth of industrial automation
- Advancements in resolver technology
- Rising adoption of motion control systems
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High costs compared to encoders
- Performance limitations at high speeds
- Complex designs and integration challenges
Resolvers Market Trends:
- Development of customized and application specific resolvers: Resolvers manufacturers are developing application-specific designs customized according to the unique requirements of end-use cases. Parameter programmable resolvers allow adaptation to different output formats, operating speeds, temperature ranges and accuracy levels. Customization enhances resolver performance in the desired application. Leading companies like Honeywell and Tamagawa offer engineering support for custom resolver designs. The trend of application-specific resolvers is gaining significant traction in the market.
- Adoption of hollow bore resolvers: Hollow bore resolvers are gaining increasing popularity owing to space savings and integration benefits. Unlike conventional resolvers, they provide a hollow shaft which allows routing of wires and cables through the center. This enables embedding of resolvers within electric motors and generators for more compact systems. The space efficiency is driving utilization of hollow bore resolvers in motion control systems, robot joints, AGVs, and other applications where space constraints exist.
- Emergence of wireless resolvers: Wireless resolvers eliminate complex cable connections and offer flexibility in feedback systems. They allow remote monitoring and find applications in rotating equipment where slip rings are not desired. Wireless operation aids quick resolver installation and enhances portability. Key companies like Honeywell and TE Connectivity provide wireless resolver solutions using ASIC/SoC technology. The wireless trend will gain more traction with the adoption of Industry 4.0 and IoT.
- Integration of resolvers with motors: Resolver manufacturers are increasingly collaborating with motor OEMs to develop integrated resolver-motors. Inbuilt resolvers simplify system architecture and enhance motion control performance. They eliminate alignment issues associated with external resolvers. TE Connectivity, Renishaw, and Micronor offer brushless servo motors with integrated resolvers. Pre-aligned and pre-calibrated integrated motor-resolvers are gaining adoption for automation applications requiring compact servo systems.
Resolvers Market Restraints:
- High costs compared to encoders: Resolvers are relatively more expensive than optical encoders. Encoders can provide higher resolution and faster processing speed at lower prices. This can restrain the adoption of resolvers in some applications where cost is critical. However, resolvers outperform encoders in harsh environments involving temperature fluctuations, vibrations, and electromagnetic noise. Encoder costs are also declining owing to mass production, presenting a major challenge for resolvers.
- Performance limitations at high operating speeds: Standard resolvers have limited operational speed capacity ranging from 6000 to 10000 rpm. This makes them unsuitable for very high-speed applications such as microturbines and machine spindles. Optical encoders perform better at high speeds owing to fast digital processing. However, manufacturers are developing high-speed resolvers using advanced ASICs and multiple pole configurations to suit high rpm applications.
- Complex designs and integration challenges: Resolvers have relatively more complex hardware structure versus digital encoders. Their integration into different rotary systems for position feedback requires precision engineering expertise. Proper alignment and calibration is vital for desired resolver functioning. This poses challenges during new product development for OEMs. The design complexity can drive preference for simpler encoders in some applications.
New product launches
- In January 2022, Honeywell launched TR30 Series Resolver, designed to provide enhanced accuracy and reliability in high-vibration environments such as motors and generators.
- In June 2021, Tamagawa Seiki launched FXH618R, a new compact hollow resolver that improves detection accuracy and torque. It can be used in joint sections of industrial robots.
- In March 2020, TE Connectivity launched the HMS-10 Resolver, which provides accurate position sensing and improved noise immunity for industrial and commercial applications.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In January 2021, Honeywell partnered with Ball Aerospace to demonstrate an optical communication capability for spacecraft using Honeywell's resolvers. This improved fault tolerance in satellite positioning systems
- In June 2020, Woodward acquired aircraft motion control and systems provider HR Textron for $130 million. This allowed Woodward to expand its aerospace resolvers product portfolio.
- In October 2018, Moog completed the acquisition of Animatics Corporation, a designer of resolvers, servo motors and controllers. This strengthened Moog's automation and controls capabilities.
Figure 2. Global Resolvers Market Share (%), by Output, 2023
Top companies in Resolvers Market
- Moog Inc.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- AMETEK Inc.
- TE Connectivity
- Woodward Inc.
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Parker Hannifin Corp
- Sensata Technologies
- Tamagawa Seiki Co., Ltd.
- LTN Servotechnik GmbH
- Maxon Group
- Danaher Corporation
- TE Connectivity
- Elmo Motion Control
- Siko GmbH
*Definition: The Resolvers Market refers to the global market for resolvers, which are electromechanical devices used for precise angular position measurement and control in myriad industrial applications. Key end-use industries for resolvers include aerospace and defense, automotive, and industrial automation. The market is driven by increasing adoption of automation technologies across industries, advancements in resolver designs, and growing use in motion control systems. Leading manufacturers offer brushless and brushed resolvers in 1-axis, 2-axis, and 3-axis configurations to meet diverse angular sensing and feedback needs.
Few other promising reports in Advanced Materials Industry
Refurbished Electronics Market
Z-wave Products Market
Server PCB Market
Circuit Protection Market
Computer Numerical Control Machine Market