The global agricultural testing market size was valued at US$ 5.74 Billion in 2022 and is anticipated to witness a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.3% from 2023 to 2030. The market for agricultural testing is witnessing strong growth on account of growing concern over food safety and sustainable practices. The increasing population and rapid urbanization are raising awareness regarding food safety. Moreover, contamination of agricultural resources such as water and land is further creating demand for testing services to evaluate pollutants present in agricultural products. All these factors are projected to accelerate market growth.
COVID -19 Impact
The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on various industries, including the global agricultural testing market. Agricultural testing plays a crucial role in ensuring the safety and quality of food and agricultural products, and the pandemic has both disrupted and highlighted the importance of this sector. Here are some key ways in which COVID-19 has influenced the global agricultural testing market The outbreak of COVID-19 has raised concerns about food safety and hygiene. As a result, there has been a growing emphasis on testing and quality assurance in the agricultural sector, driving the demand for testing services and technologies. Governments worldwide have recognized the importance of maintaining a resilient food supply chain during the pandemic. They have implemented various measures to support the agricultural sector, including funding for testing infrastructure, research, and development.
Figure 1. Global Agricultural Testing Market by Sample in 2022
Global Agricultural Testing Market Drivers:
- Growing concern over food safety and sustainable practices: Growing concern over food safety and sustainable practices is driving growth of the agricultural testing market. The world is witnessing unparalleled challenges such as resource depletion, drought, water scarcity, land degradation, pollution, loss of biodiversity, and climate change. All these factors are affecting the sustainability of food and agriculture systems and the livelihoods of smallholders and farmers. In order to combat these challenges, proper testing is important to improve human lives.
- Increasing regulations and frameworks related to agricultural and environmental safety: Increasing regulations and frameworks related to agricultural and environmental safety are again fostering market growth. The Federal Seed Act (FSA), 2020, outlines seed requirements, such as germination, seed purity, details of treated seeds, etc., for instance shipments of agricultural and vegetable seeds. In the United States, regulations related to pesticide registration, production, and distribution under the authority of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) are governed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Global Agricultural Testing Market Opportunities:
- Increase number of regulation related to protection of soil: The growing number of regulations related to the protection of soil in the European region is projected to support the soil testing market, especially in the U.K. This is expected to provide lucrative growth opportunities. The country has made soil testing mandatory every five years.
- The focus of key players is on the introduction of new technology:Key players are focusing on introducing new technology in agricultural testing. This is projected to provide major growth opportunities for the key players. For instance, in January 2022, Bayer is a German multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnological company which announced the launch of Testing4Ag, a new program that allows research scientists from around the world to submit novel chemistries to Bayer for testing in hopes of identifying potential new modes of action to control fungal diseases, insect pests, or weeds.
Agricultural Testing Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 5.74 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 9.37 Bn
- By Region: North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, Middle East and Africa
- By Sample: Water Testing, Soil Testing, Seed Testing, Bio solids Testing, Manure Testing, Other Samples
Eurofins Scientific, Agilent Technologies Inc., SCS Global Services, Bureau Veritas SA, ALS Limited, Element Materials Technology (EXOVA), TUV Nord Group, Apal Agricultural Laboratory, Intertek Group PLC, EMD Millipore Corporation (Millipore Sigma), BioMerieux SA, Aurea AgroSciences, 3M Company, Charm Sciences Inc., Neogen Corporation, and Biolumix
- Growing concern over food safety and sustainable practices
- Increasing regulations and framework related to agricultural and environmental safety
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High cost and time involved
- Low awareness among farmers
Global Agricultural Testing Market Trends:
- Small-scale laboratories are becoming increasingly popular: There is a growing trend for small-scale laboratories to perform soil testing activities on agricultural land around the world. Moreover, these activities are projected to be commercialized over the course of time. Also, it is expected that small-scale players was projected to emerge in the market in the coming years, which will increase competition among these small ventures as well as the established soil testing companies. Mainly, users and farmers will benefit from this, as they will have a wide range of companies and prices to choose from.
- Serological and electrophoretic: The rise in the trend of following electrophoretic and serological methods in seed testing especially in the North America region will further favor market growth.
Global Agricultural Testing Market Restraints:
- High cost and time involved: The high cost and time involved in testing are expected to restrict market growth. For instance, as per a protocol by Wayne State University, for every 242 square feet, a soil sample needs to be collected. Penn State’s lab would charge approximately US$ 27 per sample to be tested for lead contamination, which would cost the farmer US$ 837 per lot. For one acre (5.81 lots), it would cost a farmer around US$ 4,860 for only lead testing.
- Low awareness among farmers: Lack of awareness regarding agricultural testing among farmers is again anticipated to hinder market growth. For instance, as a part of research conducted by the Central European University of Agronomy and Soil Sciences in 2020, a random sampling of 500 farmers was done. The results revealed that only about 17.4% of the respondents belonged to a very high category with respect to knowledge of soil testing and use of soil health cards for advance farming. This shows that the majority of farmers lack proper knowledge and awareness, which impacts the overall soil testing market in Europe.
Global Agricultural Testing Market Segmentation:
- The global agricultural testing market report is segmented into sample and region. the global market over the forecast period. This is due to the growing importance of soil testing for optimizing crop production, protecting the environment from contamination by runoff and leaching of excess fertilizers, and improving the nutritional balance of the growing medium.
- Water testing segment is also expected to witness significant growth in the near future, and this is attributed to the growing demand from food and beverage, pharmaceutical, agricultural, medical, energy and power, electronics and semi-conductor, and wastewater treatment industries. According to the Coherent Market Insights analysis, in 2020, the water testing market was valued at US$ 1,146.2 million in 2020, and it is projected to reach US$ 1,762 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period.
Figure 2. Global Agricultural Testing Market by Region in 2022
- Geographically, North America is expected to dominate the global agricultural testing market over the forecast period owing to the growing market for agricultural testing. According to the Coherent Market Insights analysis, the agricultural testing market in the U.S. was valued at US$ 1,053.3 million in 2020, and it is projected to reach US$ 1,551.1 million by 2026, registering a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period. Also, the presence of the Seed Regulatory and Testing Division (SRTD), which tests agricultural and vegetable seeds to ensure the efficient marketing of seeds, is further anticipated to foster regional market growth.
- Asia Pacific is also expected to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period, and this is attributed to increasing government initiatives to expand laboratories for seed testing. The agricultural testing market in India was valued at US$ 256.6 million in 2020 and is projected to reach US$ 387.0 million by 2026, recording a CAGR of 7.3% during the forecast period.
Global Agricultural Testing Market: Key Developments
- In November 2020, Eurofins Scientific strengthened its position in the environmental testing segment in Japan through the acquisition of Taiyo Techno Research.
- In September 2020, Eurofins Scientific acquired Sun Dream Group to strengthen its position in the environmental testing segment in Taiwan.
- In December 2020, Agilent announced a new ICP-MS instrument, the Agilent 7850 ICP-MS system that provides new smart tools to minimize common time traps that can affect ICP-MS analysis workflows.
- In November 2020, Agilent announced a collaboration with Société Générale de Surveillance (SGS), which has resulted in a new GC/TQ method, the SGS SXYS 16130, approved by the US EPA as an alternative method for the future regulation and detection of dioxins. Dioxins are a group of chemicals that are considered persistent environmental pollutants and subsequently find their way into the food chain.
Global Agricultural Testing Market: Key Companies Insights
The global agricultural testing market is highly competitive. This is attributed to the continuous launch of new technologies due to ongoing Research and Development and efforts by value chain participants. Moreover, key players are adopting various business growth strategies in order to expand their presence on a regional, and global basis. Some of the key players in the global agricultural testing market are Eurofins Scientific, Agilent Technologies Inc., SCS Global Services, Bureau Veritas SA, ALS Limited, Element Materials Technology (EXOVA), TUV Nord Group, Apal Agricultural Laboratory, Intertek Group PLC, EMD Millipore Corporation (Millipore Sigma), BioMerieux SA, Aurea AgroSciences, 3M Company, Charm Sciences Inc., Neogen Corporation, and Biolumix
*Definition: Agricultural testing is an integral part of precision agriculture. The accuracy of measurements can be improved with the help of the right tools. The latest tools in agricultural testing allow researchers to perform numerous tasks, including monitoring and auditing the quality of agricultural products.