Market Insight- Global Mechanical Mine Clearance System Market
Mechanical demining is the process of eliminating land mines with efficient use of mechanical devices. Demining activities are both humanitarian as well as military and are performed across the globe. The Demining action can also be classified on the basis of operation type into two basic types which are manual demining and mechanical demining. Manual Demining or the conventional demining is a process in which the demining action i.e. the clearing the land mines are done humans and with the help of animals (dogs, rats) for the detection of the land mines. In mechanical demining, special mechanical devices are used and are faster and safer than manual demining. Different types of devices are used in mechanical demining including mechanical mine clearance system/vehicle (MMCS), mine-protected vehicles, and ground protection machines.
The global mechanical mine clearance system market was valued for US$ 42.3 Mn in 2019 is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 4.0% during the forecast period
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Rising demand for demining action is expected to drive growth of the global mechanical mine clearance system market during the forecast period
Demining action has become extremely necessary due to the presence of live mines across the globe. According to the ‘Landmine Free’, every year, over 5000 people are killed or injured due to accidents landmine accidents and explosive remnants of war (ERW) shells scattered across the globe’s former and current war zones. Since there have been recorded 1 million people killed or maimed due to active landmines, there is a huge demand for demining activities. It is estimated that over 60 to 80 million landmines are still in active positions worldwide and are hazardous for the local community. Moreover, landmines are a major problem in worn-torn countries such as Croatia, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cambodia, and several African and European countries. Various organizations such as the United Nations (UN) are investing significantly so that the areas can be mine-free and can be used for residential, industrial or commercial purposes. Hence, these factors are expected to drive growth of the market during the forecast period.
- Proactive initiatives from various organizations and countries are expected to propel the global mechanical mine clearance system market growth over the forecast period
Many global organizations such as GICHD: Geneva International Centre for Humanitarian Demining, United Nations (UN), and other organizations are supporting demining activities across the globe. For instance, in 1997, the anti-personnel Mine Ban Treaty was signed by 32 UN states, after which there has been an expenditure of US$ 3 billion on mine eliminating activities as of 2010. These demining activities are done to contribute to creation of a secure environment, rehabilitation of agricultural land, opening access to roads aid and commerce, providing employment for soldiers, etc. Therefore, such proactive support by global organizations is expected to boost the global mechanical mine clearance system market growth in the near future.
Europe region dominated the global mechanical mine clearance system market in 2019, accounting for 41.9% share in terms of value, followed by MEA and North America, respectively
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- High initial and maintenance cost of mine clearance system is expected to restrain growth of the global mechanical mine clearance system market during the forecast period
The initial procurement and maintenance cost of mine clearance system is significantly high, which has led consumers to shift to the rental system. If the use of demining equipment is not at least two-third of its average life, the end user should consider renting the machine. Furthermore, the maintenance cost of the mechanical mine clearance system is significantly high and maintenance should be done on a timely basis. This is due to the fact that if machine is badly serviced, it could become dangerous on actual operation sites. Thus, these factors are expected to restrain growth of the market in the near future.
- Lack of skilled personnel for safe and effective operations is expected to hamper the global mechanical mine clearance system market growth over the forecast period
Lack of skilled personnel to operate specific machine systems that may indirectly result in safety hazards and low output is expected to hamper the market growth. Around 40% of mechanical demining market is into rental business, which primarily provides trained workers for appropriate production work. Moreover, the operator should be able to operator the machine properly with adequate training for effective operation. The remote control operated mine clearance machines are usually operated with the help of a camera and display arrangement by an operator. The operator will be inside the safe armored area or vehicle from where he operates the demining vehicle, hence prior practice and training to them are of utmost importance. Therefore, these factors are expected to hamper the global mechanical mine clearance system market growth during the forecast period.
- Rising urgency to clear landmines for public rehabilitation projects can present major growth opportunities
According to the United Nations Environmental Programme (UNEP), 2007, the quality of land essentials to sustain the humanity has increased to over 54 acres per person. According to the same source, the earth can only provide around 39 acres for every individual living today. A large portion of land around the world is being contaminated with landmines and if these lands are used for rehabilitation of human race, it would be advantageous. Thus, these factors can provide major growth opportunities.
- Growing awareness regarding significance of demining activities is expected to offer major business opportunities
The importance of demining activities is increasing across the globe. Military sector has been using demining machines for so many years. However, it has been used to remove active mines from worn-torn zones. These lands can be used for road construction or public infrastructure development. Governments in countries such as Libya, Vietnam, and Afghanistan are focused on removing active mines, in order accelerate construction of public infrastructure.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Rising product innovations in mechanical mine clearance system
In mature markets such as Europe and North America, major end users are focused on machines equipped with advanced automation and diagnosis. Key players in the market are focused on product development and innovations through R&D activities, in order to fulfill custom requirements from clients. This trend is expected to gain traction and remain to continue during the forecast period. The introduction of new advanced components in the driver’s cabin, which are making the operators’ life easier to work in all adverse weather conditions such as hot, pouring rain or snow, or extremely cold conditions.
- Research and development activities by prominent players
Major players in the market are focused on research and development activities to innovate novel mechanical mine clearance systems. For instance, Digger DTR, a significant manufacturer of mechanical mine clearance system in the global market has introduced a new model named Digger D–250, which includes a fuel monitoring system and an eco-mode system to reduce the fuel consumption and achieve better control of the engine when engine is in idle condition.
In global mechanical mine clearance system market, by operation segment, manual operation segment dominated the global mechanical mine clearance system market in 2019, accounting for 70.7% share in terms of value, followed by Remote Control/Robotic Vehicle
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Value Chain Analysis
Key players operating in the global mechanical mine clearance system market are CEFA, Hydrema Holding ApS, Scanjack AB, Rheinmetall AG, MineWolf Systems AG, Armtrac Limited, DOK-ING d.o.o., Aardvark Clear Mine Ltd., Way Industries A.S., Pearson Engineering Limited, and Digger DTR — Demining Technologies.
- Major companies in the market are focused on product development, in order to expand product portfolio. For instance, in January 2017, Digger DTR — Demining Technologies introduced a state-of-the-art demining system, Digger D–250 is selected in the final round of the Robotics Competition held in Dubai.
- Key players in the market are involved in participating exhibitions, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in June 2016, CEFA attended the Eurosatory event, where it exhibited its new equipment: SDZ (Mechanical Land Mine Zone Clearance System). SDZ’s tiller can destroy all mines at a depth of up to 30 cm. The SDZ is an efficient, powerful, multipurpose machine capable of meeting all needs of a bomb disposal expert. The SDZ is designed to clear large areas or to create safe corridors quickly