The power transformer is a type of transformer used to transfer electrical energy in any part of the electronic or electric circuit between the generator and distribution primary circuits. Power transformers connect electrical networks or systems of different voltage, in order to allow power exchange between them. Power transformers are used for power transmission, power generation, consumer application, and electro-intensive industrial applications. Power transformers are used in commercial applications such as hotels, hospitals, offices, airports, and universities.
The global Power Transformers Market was accounted for US$ 28.69 Bn in terms of value and 17,283 unit shipment in terms of volume in 2019 and is expected to grow at CAGR of 7.7% for the period (2020-2027).
Market Dynamics- Drivers
- Increasing global energy demands is expected to drive growth of the global power transformers market during the forecast period
Increasing electrification ration in emerging economies such as India, Brazil, China, and Russia has led to increase in demand for power generation. Moreover, increase in load growth and high transmission and distribution losses highlights the need for more substations. As there are rapid economic development and increased need for uninterrupted and reliable power supply in the aforementioned countries, the power demand is expected to increase in the near future. Therefore, these factors are expected to drive growth of the global power transformers market during the forecast period.
- Renewal and upgrading of existing networks in mature economies is expected to propel the global power transformers market growth over the forecast period
In the majority of mature countries, electrical grid infrastructure is reaching the end of its operational lifespan following a strong investment in the 1970s. The average useful life span of a transformer is around 25 to 30 years. Furthermore, aging equipment is incompatible with the current technical and environmental requirements. Many governments have also made attempts to extend the life of a transformer over the past 20 years, but today the need to replace already existing equipment with more efficient units compatible with latest standards and smart grids has arrived. Therefore, these factors are expected to propel the global power transformers market growth over the forecast period.
Power Transformers Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||USD 28.69 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||USD 51.94 Bn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa: South Africa, North Africa, Central Africa
- By Power Rating: (100 MVA to 500 MVA, 501 MVA to 800 MVA and 801 MVA to 1200 MVA)
ABB Ltd., Toshiba Corp., Alstom SA, Siemens Energy, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Hyosung Power & Industrial Systems Performance Group, Hitachi, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., GE Co., and Crompton Greaves Ltd.
- Increasing global energy demands
- Renewal and upgrading of existing networks in mature economies
|Restraints & Challenges:
- The volatility of raw material prices
Asia Pacific held dominant position in the global Power Transformers market in 2019, accounting for 41.2% share in terms of value, followed by North America Europe.
Figure 1: Global Power Transformers Market Share (%) in terms of Value, By Region, 2019
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- The volatility of raw material prices is expected to restrain growth of the global power transformers market during the forecast period
Raw materials used in the manufacturing of power transformers are copper, steel, aluminum, and oil. However, prices raw materials such as steel and oil have been highly volatile in the recent past. Cold-rolled coil steel is used for the manufacture of Cold Rolled Grain Oriented (CRGO) steel, which is in turn used for the manufacture of transformers. Similarly, crude oil prices have been very volatile and unpredictable over the past few years. The chart below illustrates the volatility in the price of crude oil in US$ per barrel over the past five years. Thus, these factors are expected to restrain growth of the global power transformers market during the forecast period.
- Lack of standardization of products is expected to hamper the global power transformers market growth over the forecast period
Another prevalent challenge in the market is the lack of standardization of products. Currently, there is no standardization of the product in the market, which makes it challenging for manufacturers to provide uniform products. Therefore, these factors are expected to hamper the global power transformers market growth in the near future.
- Rising awareness regarding low carbon emissions in the development of smart grid can present lucrative growth opportunities in the global power transformers market
A smart grid is an enhancement over a traditional electrical network and acts as an automated monitoring and controlling system. Dynamic pricing and consumption data are the core functionalities provided and envisioned on a larger scale in the form of the grid. Moreover, new technologies ensure the stability of the electrical grid when it receives an intermittent supply of electricity. Smart grids help interconnect all assets and optimize network control. Thus, this factor is expected to accelerate growth of the power transformers market over the forecast period.
- Deployment of green transformers can provide major business opportunities in the global power transformers market
A green power transformer is a sustainable, eco-efficient product. Green power transfers offer a new alternatives for customers who want to preserve the environment. It lowers the carbon footprint, limited risk, and enhanced life cycle costs as it requires less maintenance. Many government authorities have to invest in green power transformers over conventional power transformers. Since these transformers have lower noise levels and improved fire safety, it is expected to witness massive demand in the near future.
Figure 2: Global Power Transformers Market Value (US$ Bn), 2017 - 2027
The global Power Transformers market was valued at US$ 28.69 Bn in 2019 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 51.94 Bn by 2027 at a CAGR of 7.7% between 2020 and 2027.
- Contracts and orders is a major trend
Key companies are focused on contracts and orders, in order to expand the market presence. For instance, in April 2013, ABB received orders worth US$ 120 Billion from the Saudi Electric Company for the supply of power transformers to strengthen the Saudi Arabian Grid. In June 2013, Crompton Greaves Ltd. received an order worth US$ 37.23 Billion from PGCIL for the supply of seven 500 MVA single phase 765 kV autotransformers, thirty-eight 80 MVAR and 110 MVAR single phase 765 kV reactors, which are to be installed at various substations in India.
- Formation of strategic joint venture and partnerships is another key trend
Major companies in the market are focused on joint ventures and partnerships, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in May 2013, Korea Electric Power Corporation entered into a joint venture with Alstom Grid named KEPCO Alstom Power Electronics Systems. The joint venture will focus on delivering HVDC projects in Korea. Moreover, in August 2013, GE Energy partnered with XD Electric Group. The partnership would combine GE’s grid automation and XD Electric’s comprehensive product portfolio which comprises high voltage power equipment.
Value Chain Analysis
The raw materials used primarily in the construction of transformers are steel, oil, and copper. Steel accounts for about one-third of the overall transformer manufacturing cost. Cold Rolled Grain Oriented (CRGO) steel is vital for manufacturing of power and distribution transformers. The companies supplying CRGO steel to transformer manufacturers include Nippon Steel Corporation and J Pearson International Inc. The major transformer manufacturers include companies such as ABB Ltd., Alstom SA, Toshiba Corporation, Siemens AG, and Crompton Greaves Ltd. among others. These companies assemble the core and coil winding, carry out the drying out process, fabricate the tank, perform tanking and painting and finally test the transformers performance as per requirements.
Major companies operating in the global power transformer market are ABB Ltd., Toshiba Corp., Alstom SA, Siemens Energy, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, Hyosung Power & Industrial Systems Performance Group, Hitachi, Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., GE Co., and Crompton Greaves Ltd.
- Key companies are focused on mergers and acquisitions, in order to enhance the market presence. For instance in July 2020, Hitachi Ltd. acquired ABB Ltd., a Swiss heavy electric equipment manufacturer.
- Major market players are involved in partnerships and collaborations, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in September 2019, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited collaborated with POWERGRID for development of optical current transformers.