Prothrombin complex concentrate is manufactured through a process of ion-exchange chromatography from the cryoprecipitate supernatant of large plasma pools after the removal of factor XI and antithrombin. These concentrates are used to treat and prevent bleeding in the case of hemophilia B if a pure factor IX is not present.
An emerging factor driving the prothrombin complex concentrate market growth is rising prevalence of hemophilia B
For instance, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report, Hemophilia A occurs in 1 out of 5,000 live male births. It is around four times more common than Hemophilia B. Few effective treatments available for hemophilia require lifetime infusion of expensive drugs manufactured through recombinant biotechnology or from human plasma.
The global prothrombin complex concentrates market is estimated to be valued at US$ 771.2 million in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 10.2% over the forecast period (2021-2028).
Figure 1. Global Prothrombin Complex Concentrates Market Share (%) in Terms of Value, By Region, 2021
Increasing approval of product by regulatory bodies is expected to increase the growth of the global prothrombin complex concentrates market over the forecast period.
For instance, in 2013, CSL Behring has received the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for Kcentra (Prothrombin Complex Concentrate) for the indication of urgent reversal of acquired coagulation factor deficiency induced by vitamin K antagonist (VKA, e.g., warfarin) therapy in adult patients needing an urgent surgery or other invasive procedure.
Prothrombin Complex Concentrates Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 771.2 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 1,522.3 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Type: 3-Factor PCC, 4-Factor PCC
- By Application: Acquired Coagulation Factor Deficiency, Congenital Coagulation Factor Deficiency, Others
- By End User: Hospital, Ambulatory Surgical Centres, Others
Octapharma AG, Nihon Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Grifols S.A., CSL Behring GmbH, Kedrion Biopharma Inc., Shire Plc, China Biologic Products Holdings, Inc., and Sanquin
- Increasing approval of product by regulatory bodies
- Increasing prevalence of hemophilia B
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Thrombotic complication related to PCC
Figure 2. Global Prothrombin Complex Concentrates Market Share (%), by Type, 2021
Global Prothrombin Complex Concentrates Market Restraint
The major factors that hinder the growth of the prothrombin complex concentrates market include thrombotic complication resulting from the use of prothrombin complex concentrates such as venous thromboembolism, micro vascular thrombosis, and myocardial infraction.
Major players operating in the global prothrombin complex concentrates market include Octapharma AG, Nihon Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Grifols S.A., CSL Behring GmbH, Kedrion Biopharma Inc., Shire Plc, China Biologic Products Holdings, Inc., and Sanquin