Resin, catalyst, and other additives are packed in polythene tubes to form resin capsules. They are widely used as an anchoring medium in tunnel construction, civil engineering, and mining industries. The advantages of using resin capsules are fast anchorage to the surrounding strata, immediate transfer of high load, resistance from the lateral and horizontal strata movements by full column bonded bolts, provide rigidity and strength, seals dripping holes, wet and elimination of deterioration of hole, remains unaffected by fresh or sea water, mild alkalis, and mild acids, provides resistance to anchoring failure due to vibration or blasting, and are easy to install. The rapid industrialization and urbanization has increased the demand for resin capsules. The increasing use of resin capsules in construction and mining industry are the growth drivers for resin capsules market. Shorter shelf life and health hazard are some of the factors hindering the growth of the resin capsule market.
Resin Capsules-Market Taxonomy
On the basis of catalyst type, the global resin capsules market is segmented into:
- Water based
- Organic peroxides
On the basis of resin type, the global resin capsules market is segmented into:
On the basis of end user, the global resin capsules market is segmented into:
Polyester resin has the largest demand, owing to its superior properties such as UV resistance. The demand for resin capsule is largest in mining sector, however the demand in construction industry is rapidly increasing due to various infrastructure development programs.
Resin Capsules -Market Outlook
- Asia Pacific is the leading market for resin capsules, owing to high investments in construction and mining industries. Regions such as India, China, and Australia have mineral resources of zinc, copper, aluminum, coal, limestone, and other precious metals which boost the resin capsules market. The plan of Indian government to auction 280 mines in 2017-18 with expected mineral value of US$ 153.64, will further boost the market for resin capsules. Moreover, various investment plans such as US$ 83.2 million by Hindustan Zinc by 2018 and US$3.72 billion by NALCO by 2020 in India, will benefit the resin capsules market. The rapid infrastructure development in China, is also propelling the growth of the market.
- U.S. has a lucrative demand for resin capsules in mining and construction industry. The investments of around US$ 33 billion by Canada and US$ 1 trillion by USA on infrastructure development in 2017, will be contributing towards the growth of resin capsules market.
- The demand for resin capsules in Europe is expected to increase, owing to the infrastructure development and increasing mining industries.
- In Middle East and Latin America, the infrastructure projects such as US$ 200 billion as part of 2030 development plan in Qatar and US$ 70 million infrastructure development in Columbia will rise the demand for resin capsules. Furthermore, the mining activities in this region will cause the growth of the demand for resin capsules.
- Africa has rich mineral resource. The investments done by the African government and mining companies in mining sector, will propel the growth of resin capsules market.
Key Players in the Global Resins Capsules Market
The companies are adopting various growth strategies such as mergers and acquisitions to sustain their market positions. Some key players operating in the resin capsule market include Arkema SA, Barnes Group Inc., Bohle AG, DYWIDAG-Systems International, Fischer Holding GmbH & CO., Hexion Inc., Rawlplug, Orica Limited, Sika AG, and Sormat OY.
Resin Capsules Market: Key Developments
- In October 2019, Arkema SA has completed the acquisition of Prochimir and Lambson, which is specialized in the photoinitiators for photocure resins. This acquisition is expected to contribute towards the strengthening of the share for the specialties segment within the group’s portfolio. This is also expected to contribute towards the achievement of group’s ambition of achieving 80% of the sales revenue from this business segment.
- In May 2019, Sika AG started a new plant in Doha, Qatar. This was opened with the objective of starting the production of Concrete Admixtures. Qatar was selected as the production location owing to its large scale infrastructure investments and the large number of planned and ongoing mega projects.
- In March 2012, DYWIDAG Systems International USA Inc. entered into a strategic partnership with Gerdau Long Steel North America. Drill trek is a mining services contractor which offers resin injections along with roof bolt installation. This partnership would facilitate the company in providing specialized services for civil infrastructure construction and tunneling.