Sodium percarbonate (2Na2CO3 • 3H2O2) is a white colored salt in the form of granules or powder and is considered as an excellent source of hydrogen peroxide. Sodium percarbonate is an addition reaction product of hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate. Therefore, when sodium percarbonate is dissolved in water it liberates hydrogen peroxide and serve as an oxidizer. Sodium percarbonate is available in the market in coated and uncoated form. The coated product prevents the peroxide from decomposition and increase its shelf life, which in turn is expected to drive demand of coated sodium percarbonate over the forecast period.
- Rising demand of sodium percarbonate in cleaning products such as floor cleaning and laundry & dishwashing products in home and personal care industry along with food and healthcare industry is expected to fuel growth of the global sodium percarbonate market over the forecast period. This can be attributed to disinfecting and antimicrobial properties offered by sodium percarbonate.
- Moreover, when decomposed, sodium percarbonate gets disintegrated into oxygen, water, and sodium carbonate, which are considered as environmentally safe compounds. Therefore, sodium percarbonate is considered as an ecofriendly bleaching agent compared to other bleaching agents such as chlorine. Decomposition products of chlorine bleach such as dioxins are hazardous for environment. This factor, in turn is expected to fuel growth of the global sodium percarbonate market over the forecast period.
- However, exposure to sodium percarbonate may cause skin, eyes, and respiratory tract irritation, which in turn is expected to hamper growth of the market over the forecast period.
- Among regions, Europe is expected to account for a largest market share over the forecast period, owing to growing end-use industries such as home and personal care industry in the region. For instance, according to the ‘Activity & Sustainability Report 2018-19’ published by International Association for Soaps, Detergents, and Maintenance Products (A.I.S.E.) in 2019, in Europe, household care and professional cleaning and hygiene sector was valued at about US$ 40.84 billion in 2018, which was increased from US$ 39.95 billion in 2017. Household care products include laundry care products, surface care products, dishwashing products, and bleach among others. Moreover, according to the same source, in 2018, consumer spending on household care products was around US$ 32.38 billion in Europe, which increased from US$ 31.82 billion in 2017.
- Furthermore, increasing applications of sodium percarbonate in water treatment industry is expected to boost market growth over the forecast period. For instance, according to the article, ‘The pros and cons of sodium percarbonate’ published by Global Aquaculture Alliance in April 2017, in aquaculture, water disinfectants, which are easily degradable are allowed to be used. Sodium percarbonate is the water disinfectant that easily decomposes and can be used in both conventional and organic aquaculture production systems. This factor in turn is expected to propel demand of sodium percarbonate over the forecast period.
- Key players operating in the global sodium percarbonate market include Solvay Chemicals, Inc, OCI Peroxygens LLC, Hongye Holding Group Corporation Ltd., PJSC Khimprom, AG CHEMI GROUP s.r.o., Akkök Holding (Ak-Kim), Zhejiang Jinke Household Chemical Materials Co., Ltd, Wuxi Wanma Chemical Co. Ltd, Jilin Shuang ou Chemical Co.,Ltd, and Jiangxi Boholy Chemical Co., Ltd.
On the basis of product type, the global sodium percarbonate market is segmented into:
On the basis of application, the global sodium percarbonate market is segmented into:
- Laundry & Dishwashing Detergent
- Bleaching Agent
- Water Treatment
- Organic Synthesis
- Others (Pesticide, Disinfectant, and Others)
On the basis of end use industry the global sodium percarbonate market is segmented into:
- Home & Personal Care
- Pulp & Paper
- Others (Food, Agricultural, and Others)
On the basis of region, the global sodium percarbonate market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa