Market Insight- Global Waterjet Cutting Machine Market 2017-2027
A waterjet cutter or also referred to as water jet is an industrial machine that utilizes high pressure water stream or mixture of water and abrasive substance to cut wide range of materials from granite to titanium. There are two types of waterjet cutting machines namely pure waterjet and abrasive waterjet. Waterjet cutting machine is often used during fabrication of machine parts and is also used when the materials used are sensitive to high temperatures generated by other methods. Waterjet cutting machine finds application in aerospace and mining industry for cutting, reaming, and shaping purposes. The global waterjet cutting machine market is segregated on the basis of pump type, application type, pressure range, end-use industries, and regions.
The global waterjet cutting machine market is estimated to account for US$ 1,745.4 Mn in terms of value by the end of 2019.
Market Dynamics- Driver
- Growing consumer inclination towards waterjet cutting machine is expected to drive the global waterjet cutting machine market growth during the forecast period
Waterjet cutting has emerged as a multi-faceted, cost-effective, and efficient substitute to conventional cutting methods such as plasma, lasers, EDM, and mills. Waterjet cutting machine finds application in a variety of industries including ceramics, food, glass, disposable products, semiconductors, aerospace, defense, automotive, paper, etc. The process cuts the material accurately without generating heat or mechanical stresses. Moreover, waterjet cutting if environmentally beneficial, since it is a cold cutting process that eliminates waste and slag deformation. Abrasive jets are much faster than EDM, which removes metal at comparatively slower rate. Hence, these factors are expected to boost the market growth during the forecast period.
- High growth of automobile sector is expected to propel growth of the global waterjet cutting machine market over the forecast period
Waterjet cutting machine has witnessed significant demand from automobile sector. According to International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), global car sales reached 95 million units in 2018, increasing from 75 million units in 2010. The automobile industry necessitates precision cutting and strict cutting tolerance, which is delivered by waterjet cutting machine. Moreover, evolving automobile design and increasing demand for automobiles worldwide is expected to propel the global waterjet cutting machine market growth in the near future.
North America region dominated the global waterjet cutting machine market in 2019, accounting for 36.7% share in terms of value, followed by Asia Pacific and Europe, respectively
Source: Coherent Market Insights
Market Dynamics- Restraints
- Slow adoption of waterjet cutting technologies in certain regions is expected to restrain the global waterjet cutting machine market growth during the forecast period
There has been slow adoption of waterjet cutting technologies in emerging economies. This is majorly due to cost-sensitivity and lack of trained professionals in the region, which in turn, is hindering the market growth significantly. For instance, advanced waterjet cutting machine with five-axis cutting capability that cuts part with high accuracy, little tapper, maximum material yield and minimal waste are widely used in developed countries like U.S. However, owing to high costs and low investment in such technologies, use of this advanced technology in developing countries is significantly lower. Thus, these factors are expected to restrain growth of the market in the near future.
- High initial cost of ownership is expected to hamper growth of the global waterjet cutting machine market over the forecast period
Initial ownership and installation cost of waterjet is substantially higher than its contemporary cutting equipment. The cost of waterjet cutting machine can go as high as US$ 35,000 to US$ 40,000, which is not affordable for small business owners. Moreover, such expensive machinery requires timely maintenance, which also costs a lot. This, in turn, is expected to hamper the adoption of the waterjet cutting machine and thereby restrict the market growth.
- Advent of robotic waterjet is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities
The robotic water jets offer versatility of applications such as cutting, drilling, and cleaning. Automated waterjets are extensively used in high-precision industries such as electronics, aerospace, food, and automotive. Robotic waterjet eliminates secondary operations, eventually saving time and cost for the organizations. Furthermore, robotic waterjet allows the processing without the guidance of an operator, thereby minimizing wastage of materials. Moreover, robotic waterjets deliver high precision operation without dust and heat generation. This, in turn, is expected to pose lucrative opportunity for market players.
- Increasing demand from wind energy industry is expected to pose significant growth opportunity for market players
The design and manufacturing of wind turbine blades require high precision. Each blade is manufactured with unique design, in order to withstand higher wind loads. Waterjet cutting machine can design and manufacture these blades with high accuracy in a cost-effective manner. Increasing adoption of renewable energy across the globe is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunity for market players over the forecast period.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
In Global waterjet cutting machine market, by end-use industry segment, metal fabrication sub segment dominated the global waterjet cutting machine market in 2019, accounting for 38.3% share in terms of value, followed by automotive, ceramics, electronics, paper and pulp and others segment.
Source: Coherent Market Insights
- Extensive application for a variety of materials is expected to increase the demand for waterjet cutting machine
Waterjet cutting machine can be used for a variety of materials including aluminum, granite, gasket, foam, steel, and titanium. For instance, abrasive waterjets are used for exotic metals such as titanium & Inconel, stones, and composites. On the contrary, pure waterjets are used for thick insulation and cement boards. Moreover, highly engineered composites such as reinforced plastic and carbon fiber are challenging for saw and mills that are operated with waterjet cutting machine.
- Advent of micro waterjet cutting technology is another major trend in the market
Adoption of micro waterjet is the latest trend in the market, which uses micro water cutting technology. A micro waterjet cutting can cut through minute parts with highest accuracy and excellent surface finish. Micro waterjets have smaller nozzle and inject water with finer accuracy. Moreover, it is more efficient and cost-effective than EDM cutting microwateret. This technology can cut material without causing deburring & biocompatibility issues, reduce thermal stress and can be used on materials such as rubber, plastics, silicon, etc. Furthermore, this technology can be used for materials such as fiber-reinforced epoxy with mold-in titanium parts.
Value Chain Analysis
Key companies operating in the global waterjet cutting machine market are WARDJet, STM Stein-Moser GmbH, International Waterjet Machines, Sugino Machine Limited, OMAX Corporation, Jet Edge, Inc., Caretta Technology s.r.l., DARDI International Corporation, TrennTek GmbH, PTV, spol. s.r.o., Semyx, LLC, Foshan Yongshengda Machinery Co., Ltd., Plasma Automation Inc. (VICON), KMT Waterjet, Hypertherm Inc. (Accustream), AKS Cutting Systems, A Innovative International Ltd., Metronics Technologies S.L., Hornet Cutting Systems, Water Jet Sweden, Koike Aronson, Inc., CMS Industries, and TECHNI Waterjet.
- Key players in the market are focused on product launch, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in January 2017, WARDJet Inc. introduced WARDKit Plus waterjet product line named as WARDKit 5x5, WARDKit 5x5 Plus and E-1515, which is more effective than the previous one known as WARDKit.
- Key players in the market are involved in capacity expansion, in order to enhance their market presence. For instance, in January 2017, OMAX Corporation expanded its productivity in India by selling OMAX waterjet machines to a textile based company- Techaids that offers products to steel mills, textile mills, paper mills, and automotive industry. The company operates four OMAX waterjets fitted with Tilt-A-Jet taper-eliminating the cutting head.