At early stages of human life, the body is healthy and resilient and thus is more adept at restoring lost cells. As the body ages, its ability to heal and restore such cells decreases, leading to cell death, in turn leading to aging. Moreover, early aging is caused by unhealthy lifestyle such as smoking and excessive consumption of packaged foods and alcohol. Signs of aging include increasing appearance of dark spots on the skin, sagging skin, lines & wrinkles, dullness, and patchy skin. Anti-aging cosmetics and skin care products can aid in slowing the process of aging.
Increasing awareness among consumers regarding personal aesthetics is expected to be a major factor driving growth of the market. Increasing product developments such as incorporation of hyaluronic acid in anti-aging products had demonstrated effective antioxidant property during clinical trials. Hyaluronic acid polymers is widely formulated inside anti-aging product. It penetrates naturally into skin by applying over the infected surface without use of botox or injection. Furthermore, various manufacturers are focusing on developing new and innovative products, in order to meet consumer demands. For instance, in March 2017, Revlon launched a series of Almay Kinetin Skincare Advanced Anti-Aging products. In clinical trials, these products have exhibited substantial signs in slowing the aging process.
However, increasing consumer preference for natural and organic products over cosmetics containing chemicals is one of the major challenges for market growth. Increasing inclination of consumers toward home remedies, which can slower down the ageing such as honey and egg or yogurt pack is another factor restraining growth of the market.
The market for anti-ageing products remains highly competitive due to presence of several small and large market players competing for market share. Large companies such Allergen, Estée Lauder’s, Beiersdof, and L’Oreal are venturing into more diversified distribution and revenue segments such as dehydration, dryness, dullness and wrinkles to sustain competitive advantage over small companies such Costaderm, Vicinazia trading, and Ostium Cosmetiques, which are providing superior customers service and proprietary products features to acquire new customers. For instance, in 2017, L'Oréal S.A. acquired CeraVe, AcneFree, and Ambi skin-care brands for US$ 1.3 billion.
Global Anti-aging Market Taxonomy
By Product Type
- UV Absorbers
- Anti-Wrinkle Products
- Anti-Stretch Mark Products
- Natural Products and
- Hair products
By Age Group
- 15–20 years
- 20–25 years
- 25–40 years
- over 40 years
By Distribution Channel
- Specialty Stores
- Convenience Stores
- Online Stores
Global Anti-aging Market Outlook
- North America region holds the major market share of anti-aging creams and is estimated to grow at a CAGR of 5.9 % during the forecast period. The market in Canada region is expected to cover 40% of the market share during the forecast period. L’Oreal stands be one of the major players in this segment and accounted for over 17.5% of the market share in Canada skin care market in 2016. Furthermore, product innovation is a key factor driving market growth. For instance, MIT innovated a new cream in 2017 with anti-wrinkle benefits. The cream helps to restore healthy skin properties and it is composed of biocompatible polysiloxane based material. MIT, Living Proof, and Olivio Laboratories collaborated to innovate XPL.
- Repetitive exposure to UVR or environment pollutants mutates DNA after penetrating deep into dermis that activates the production of matrix metalloproteinase along with free radicals, which initiates the oxidative process. As a result, healthy collagen breaks leading to skin sagging and ageing. Thus, products with antioxidants is increasingly gaining popularity in the market as it help to neutralize the effects of free radicals. For instance, Chaster Skin Care has launched new EGA anti-aging cream in the year 2017, which helps to boost antioxidant capability of the skin and resists UV damage.
Market players are focused on providing cost-effective products, speedy delivery, and customized solutions, in order to remain competitive in the market. For instance, Revlon Age Defying 3xtm Foundation is a hydrating and moisturizing serum available for every skin shade.
Global players in the anti-aging products market include Unilever, Revlon, Beiersdorf, Photomedex Inc., Estee Lauder, Johnson and Johnson, Orlaneand L’Oreal, Avon Products, Coty, Lotus Herbals, Rachel K Cosmetics, and Clarins.
Anti-Aging Products Market Key Developments:
- In September 2018, SkinCeuticals, a company engaged in supplying skincare products launched its new anti- aging Retinol 0.3 facial cream. The cream is infused with pure retinol which helps improve the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, blemishes, and minimizes breakouts & refining pores.
- In July 2019, Vichy Laboratories, a premium brand of skincare, bodycare, make-up and anti-aging products launched a new anti-aging moisturizer, LiftActiv Peptide-C. This moisturizer is formulated with phyto-peptides which are proteins derived from green peas and antioxidant such as vitamin C. This is an advanced anti-aging moisturizer which helps in correcting multiple signs of aging such as wrinkles, dull skin, loss of contour definition and loss of firmness.
- In September 2019, MONAT Global Corp., a key player in anti-aging hair care products launched its new anti-aging MONAT Skincare product line. These products are formulated with natural ingredients and the product range includes, Be Balanced Foamy Cleanser, Be Balanced Lightweight Moisturizer, Be Gentle Creamy Cleanser, Be Gentle Nourishing Moisturizer, Berry Refined Scrub, Eye Smooth Nourishing Eye Cream, Rewind Age Control Nectar and Skin Revitalizing Essence.