Flea and tick products are pesticides, growth inhibitors or repellents used to treat or prevent flea and tick infestations in animals such as dogs and cats. Fleas causes itching and allergic reaction that results in anemia in animals and ticks transmits infections such as Lyme disease. An increase in awareness of the diseases transmitted by fleas such as bubonic plague, murine typhus and by ticks such as ehrlichiosis, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Lyme disease and anaplasmosis among others is propelling the growth of this market. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, reported cases of Lyme disease in the U.S. in 2016 were 26,203. Furthermore, rising trend in adoption of pets along with an increase in the number of consumers purchasing pet care products is driving the flea and tick products. For instance, according to The European Pet Food Industry Federation, total value of pet related products and services in 2014 in Europe was US$ 18.49 billion which increased to US$ 19.72 billion in 2016. The development of innovative flea and tick products by various manufacturers is increasing the growth of this market. For instance, in January 2017, Pets Essential Products launched Chicken and Sweet Potato Jerky treat, which is a natural treat to prevent fleas and ticks in dogs and cats. It consists of brewer’s yeast, garlic, and vitamin B, which produces an odor that repels fleas, ticks, and other insects.
However, increasing concern over the side effects of the flea and tick products such as rash, loss of hair, itching with discoloration, changes in body temperature, tremors, vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, and lethargy is restraining the growth of the flea and tick products market.
Flea and Tick Products Market Taxonomy
Based on product type, flea and tick products market is segmented into:
- Oral Pill
- Spot on
Based on pet, flea and tick products market is segmented into:
Based on distribution channel, flea and tick products market is segmented into:
- Convenience Stores
- Specialty Stores
- Online Stores
In 2016, dog was the largest segment based on pet in the global flea and tick products market, which lead to an increase in the adoption of dogs as pets. According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 48% of the U.S. population owned dogs while 38% owned cats in 2016. Spot on products have significant demand in the global flea and tick products market, as these products can be conveniently used by applying it on the pet's skin. However, in 2010, the U.S. Environment Protection Agency (EPA) increased restrictions on flea and tick products, owing to increasing incidences of adverse reactions, which includes stringent labeling requirements and differentiation of products for dogs and cats among others.
Flea and Tick Products Market Outlook
- North America is the largest flea and tick products market, owing to increasing number of pet owners. According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA), 68% of all the U.S. households own pets. Furthermore, in 2016, 39% of dogs and 19% of cats were provided with flea or tick protection or prevention or cure at veterinarian’s office in the U.S.
- Asia Pacific is the fastest growing flea and tick products market due to increasing awareness of pet health and adoption of pet healthcare products. According to Animal Medicines Australia, parasiticides such as flea and tick products were the highest sold healthcare products in 2015 in Australia.
- Europe has lucrative demand for flea and tick products from the pet owners. According to The European Pet Food Industry Federation, total number of households having at least one pet was 75 million in 2014, which increased to 80 million in 2016. Various agencies including European Medicines Agency regulates the flea and tick products in this region. For instance, in July 2017, European Medicines Agency announced that conclusions associated with the side effects of Bravecto, which is used to treat tick and flea in dogs and cats should be mentioned on the package. In February 2017, the Committee for Medicinal Products for Veterinary Use (CVMP) granted marketing authorization to Credelio, which is a chewable tablet for treatment of flea and tick infestation in dogs.
Key players operating in the global flea and tick products market are Bayer AG, Virbac SA, Merck & Company, Inc., Ecto Development Corporation, Boehringer Ingelheim GmbH, Eli Lilly and Company, MSD & Co. Inc., Novartis International AG, Pet Industry Experts LLC, Zoetis, Inc., and Promika, LLC.
- February 2018, Natural Solutions LTD launched a new formula for flea and tick control products.
- March 2016, PetLock launched pet products to treat and prevent fleas, ticks, and other pests indoors and outdoors.
- November 2017, MSD Animal Health launched Bravecto Spot-on for dogs, which offers 12 week protection from tick and flea.
- Pet Industry Experts LLC launched NuDay Pet Natural Flea and Tick products in March 2017.