A notebook is a light weighted personal computer. The technology used in notebooks to make it light in weight is known as flat-panel technology. The benefits associated with this technology is that it requires low power, is low in cost, and consumes low voltage, which is a factor for high adoption of notebooks.
Growing trend of BYOD is among factors for growth of the market
Growing trend of BYOD is one of the major factors for growth of the market. Growing concern of organizations towards improving organization’s productivity is key factor for adopting BYOD trend in organizations in various sectors. Moreover, implementation of BYOD policy has aided in improving productivity and efficiency of employees, as they perform their respective tasks on their device, which in turn helps in increasing the productivity of the organization. According to Coherent Market Insights analysis, in 2017, 66% of employees use 2 or more devices every day which includes, desktops, laptops, smartphones and 12% use tablets at their workspace. Thus, adoption of BYOD trend by organizations helps in cutting down costs. Hence, increasing BYOD trend has increased demand for personal devices such as tablets, notebooks, smartphones, and others in the workplace. Therefore, this is expected to propel the growth of the notebook market.
Increasing penetration of smartphones is one of the major challenges for growth of the market
Increasing penetration of smartphones is one of the major challenges for growth of the market. According to the Coherent Market Insights analysis, the number of smart phone users was 2.5 billion in 2016 and it has grown up to 2.38 billion in 2017, globally. Advancement in technology in smartphones have enabled devices to offer same services as laptop, tablets, and notebooks. Several benefits offered by smartphones over notebooks are compact size, light weight, and easy mobility, which have increased its adoption over other devices. Therefore, these factors are responsible for hindering growth of the notebook market over the forecast period.
Global Notebook Market: Regional Insights
North America held the dominant position in the market in 2018 and it is expected to retain its dominance during the forecasted period (2019—2027). This is attributed to increasing adoption of BYOD trend among various vertical such as healthcare, IT, and retail. For instance, according to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, in 2017, in the U.S., around 65% of the organizations including banking, healthcare, and IT sectors have adopted this trend wherein, employees use their personal devices in workplace. Major benefits associated with BYOD is cost reduction, mobility, and it also helps in increasing retention of the employees. Hence, increasing adoption of BYOD trend will positively help in fuelling growth of the market in this particular region.
Asia Pacific is anticipated to exhibit the highest CAGR during the forecasted period. This is owing to rising consumer disposable income coupled with increasing digitization of education in this region. This is one of the factors for increasing demand for notebook in this particular region. For instance, according to the Coherent Market Insight’s analysis, in India, the disposable personal income was US$ 2.28 billion in 2016 and it has increased to US$ 2.56 billion in 2017. Therefore, rising disposable income is expected to accelerate growth of the market in this particular region
Global Notebook Market: Key Players
Key players operating in the global notebook market are Hewlett-Packard, Samsung Electronics, Dell, Inc., Acer, Inc., Lenovo Group, Ltd., Apple Inc., Micromax Informatics Ltd, Microsoft Corporation, Sony Corporation, and Asus Tek Computer, Inc. Major players such as Hewlett-Pack ward, Dell, and Acer are focusing on adopting product launches strategy, in order to gain a competitive edge in the market. For instance, in 2015 HP launched the HP Elite1000 series. It is a world’s thinnest and lightest commercial PC solution. Additionally, in 2017, Samsung launched the Notebook 9 series. The features included in Notebook 9 are it offers long lasting battery that can last for up to seven hours on a single charge. It also includes adaptive fast charging technology that offers up to two hours of backup in just 20 minutes of charging, and takes about 80 minutes to top up the battery to its full capacity. The USB Type-C port also allows users to charge this notebook using a smartphone charger.
Global Notebook Market: Taxonomy
On the basis of product type, the global notebook market is segmented into:
- Desktop Replacement Notebook
- Mainstream Notebook
- Standard-Portable Notebook
On the basis of operating system, the global notebook market is segmented into:
On the basis of price range (US$), the global notebook market is segmented into:
- Below 500
- Above 1500
On the basis of application, the global notebook market is segmented into:
- Corporate Office
On the basis of region, the global notebook market is segmented into:
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Middle East
Global Notebook Market: Key Developments
- In June 2019, Samsung announced the launch of Notebook 7 and Notebook Force. They feature a brand-new design with solid metal frame, full HD display, 8th gen Intel processor, latest NVIDIA graphics and Dolby Atmos audio.
- In October 2018, Dell announced a launch of Redesigned Alienware m15, the Company's First Lightweight Gaming Notebook. The notebook packs up to 17 hours of battery life, and it comes in Epic Silver and Nebula Red color options.
- In September 2019, Acer announced the launch of ConceptD Pro notebook family which house NVIDIA Quadro GPUs and are powered by 9th Gen Intel Core Processors. This Notebooks have Windows 10 support.
- In May 2019, Apple announced a launch of its refreshed 13- and 15-inch Retina MacBook Pros models with new 8th and 9th-generation Intel processors, which is a one of the fastest MacBook Pro models.
- In May 2019, AsusTek Computer Inc. announced a launch of ZenBook 13, ZenBook 14, ZenBook 15, and ZenBook 30 Edition Laptops with ScreenPad 2.0. All four ZenBooks are powered by latest 8th generation Intel Core i7 processor.
- In June 2019, Dell has expanded its line of business-centric laptops in India with the launch of Latitude 7400 2-in-1. Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 is a Windows 10 laptop with a 14.00-inch display that has a resolution of 1920x1080 pixels. It is powered by a Core i5 processor and it comes with 8GB of RAM. The Dell Latitude 7400 2-in-1 packs 256GB of SSD storage.