Liquid chromatography is a technique used to separate and identify proteins, nucleic acid, and small molecules in a mixture. The separation is based on the interactions of sample with mobile and stationary phase. The composition in the mobile phase changes completely according to the affinity of the sample with the liquid phase. Liquid chromatography can be used for analytical and preparative applications such as food supplement and pharmaceutical or bio therapeutic. One of the advanced forms of liquid chromatography is the high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) for ultra-trace separations with high sensitivity and accuracy, thereby augmenting the market growth. Preparation of pure substance for clinical, toxicology studies, inorganic studies, and trace analysis make high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) the most opted technique. Moreover, high speed, selective analysis and preparative application of the sample are considered as the most significant factors driving growth of the liquid chromatography market. However, the high cost of HPLC equipment can have a negative impact on market growth.
Rising adoption in food safety, forensic, and pharmaceutical dosage applications to drive market growth in the near future
Food safety is a major concern across the globe. For instance, in 2013, an Environmental Institute, Munich reported high glyphosate in beer, which is considered as one of the favorite beverages in Europe. Use of herbicide and pesticides post- and pre-harvesting helps improve the productivity of the crop. However, use of these chemicals may pose threat to human health. Liquid chromatography is the most convenient technique to determine polar pesticides in both food and environmental samples. The quantification of plant extract in pharmaceutical dosage and absolute purity of the molecules is also the major concern. High-performance liquid chromatography is the primary method of analysis in laboratories such as forensics, toxicology, and environmental. Growing usage of liquid chromatography instrument in agriculture, biochemistry, pharmaceuticals, and forensic industries is expected to drive the growth of the liquid chromatography market over the forecast period. Geographically, North America and Europe are expected to account for the largest share in the liquid chromatography market, owing to high concern regarding food safety and initiatives taken by the government to promote R&D. For instance, in 2005, Europe parliament and council established a level of pesticide allowed in food and feed in order to keep a check on the food safety analytical methods, which is expected to expedite market growth. Moreover, Asia Pacific and Latin America regions could also prove lucrative in terms of market opportunities, due to increasing adoption of liquid chromatography instruments in research laboratories and strategic expansion by key players in these regions.
Robust distribution channels of key players creates a highly conducive environment for market growth
Major companies operating in the manufacturing of liquid chromatography include A.C. Analytical Controls B.V, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Waters Corporation, Agilent Technologies, GL Sciences Inc., PerkinElmer Inc., Shimadzu Corporation, Waters Corporation, and Phenomenex Inc. Major players have a well-established presence in over 50 economies with well-developed and channelized sales, which is expected to make them more competitive in the liquid chromatography market in near future.
Key Development in Liquid Chromatography Market
- In June 2019, Thermo Fisher Scientific showcased its latest chromatography solutions and techniques during the 48th International Symposium on High Performance Liquid Phase Separations and Related Techniques (HPLC 2019) at the University of Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy.
- In September 2018, Showa Denko developed new Shodex, high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) column (IC SI-36 4D) to analyze anions, which is compatible with hydroxide eluents.
- In March 2017, Agilent Technologies Inc. launched its 6545XT AdvanceBio LC/Q-TOF mass spectrometry system for biopharmaceutical labs. The new system combines the high-performance liquid chromatography functionality with a quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry and data-analysis tools.
- In August 2016, Teledyne ISCO launched its High Pressure Preparative Liquid Chromatography (HPPLC) product, the ACCQPrep HP125. The novel approach eliminates the unnecessary and complex integration parameters found in many of the HPLC systems.
- In May 2016, Agilent Technologies Inc. launched InfinityLab, a product portfolio including Agilent 1260 Infinity II liquid chromatography system, along with InfinityLab columns and supplies.
- In March 2016, Merck KGaA launched a range of new products including high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and capillary gas chromatography (GC) columns for water analysis and easier sample preparations
Global Liquid Chromatography Market Taxonomy
On the basis of product type, the liquid chromatography market is segmented into:
- Normal-phase liquid chromatography (NPLC)
- Reversed-phase liquid chromatography (RPLC)
- Ion Exchange Liquid Chromatography (IELC)
- Size exclusion liquid chromatography (SELC)
- High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
On the basis of end user, the liquid chromatography market is segmented into:
- Biotechnological and Pharmaceutical Industries
- Research Laboratories
- Diagnostic Laboratories