Pharmaceutical pouch are pouches made up of such material which is strong, protects the medicines from the penetration of oxygen, moisture, light, and chemicals, and does not tear or puncture. These pouches also have child-resistant packaging and are therefore secure for storing anywhere.
Pharmaceutical pouches are expected to gain their importance in market due to their varied benefits. The pharmaceuticals companies prefer these pouches as it can protect the medicines from harmful rays or atmosphere, and it can be imprinted with the prescription.
However, few challenges faced by the pharmaceutical pouches are the incompatibility of these pouches for storing liquid drugs. Another reason that can hamper the global pharmaceutical pouch market is that the pouch once opened, it does not stay effective for a longer period of time. Once the pouch is opened, the drug inside needs to be consumed immediately or it might get affected by external atmosphere and may damage the drug stored in it.
In terms of regional analysis, in 2016, North America constituted the maximum share of the global pharmaceutical industry. In 2016, North American pharmaceutical market valued around US$450 billion. Owing to the above mentioned factor and due to the presence of famous companies like Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Merck & Co., the North American region is expected to gain a higher market share and contribute towards the growth of global pharmaceutical pouch market during the forecast period.
Key players operating in the global pharmaceutical pouch market include GFR Pharma, Qed Kares Packers Private Limited., Glenroy, Inc., Nelipak Corporation, Oliver, etc.
- In November 2019, Wipak, one of the leading manufacturer of packaging materials and solutions, had launched a new pharmaceutical pouch developed specially to pack robotic instruments and other long devices. This new product aims to provide significant cost & time savings to hospitals as they are faster & stronger than traditional tray wrapping solutions.
- Amcor, a packaging company, had launched a new product - AmLite Ultra Recyclable in April 2019. This new product is manufactured from the company’s highly sustainable polyolefin film. This new high-barrier laminate can be used in packaging of a range of pharmaceutical, home and personal care, and food products.
- Various companies are focusing on adopting strategies such as merger & acquisition in order to stay competitive in the global market. For instance, in September 2018, ProMach, a global leader in packaging machinery solutions, announced acquisition of FLtècnics. FLtècnics, based in Girona, Spain, manufactures innovative machines which are capable of packing 400 pouches per minute for the pharmaceutical, beverage, food, chemical, and cosmetics industries.
On the basis of material, the global pharmaceutical pouch market is segmented into:
- Polyvinyl chloride
- Polyethylene terephthalate
- Others (Aluminum and Coated paper)
On the basis of product type, the global pharmaceutical pouch market is segmented into:
- Breathable pouch
- Tamper evident pouch
- Non-peel able pouch
- High Barrier pouch
On the basis of application, the global pharmaceutical pouch market is segmented into:
- Drug delivery system
On the basis of region, the global pharmaceutical pouch market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa