Professional dental care is maintenance of healthy teeth and oral care. Major players in dental care market are focused on providing efficient dental care solutions through innovative electric and battery powered toothbrushes, advanced cleansers and mouth fresheners, and other products such as tooth whiteners, dental flosses, and dental water jets. Moreover, researchers from Cochrane Foundation found that electric and battery powered toothbrushes were can reduce the gingivitis and plaques on teeth.
The major factors driving growth of the professional dental care market are increasing number of small and private dental clinics, rising incidences of dental caries, and rising disposable income in emerging economies. For instance, according to the study published by National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 1999 to 2004, prevalence of dental caries of adults aged 12 to 64 in the U.S was 92%, with 26% of adults with untreated decay. The adults from high income group are majorly observed to be suffering from of tooth decay. Moreover about 8.52% adults in the U.S also suffer from periodontal disease.
However, high cost of technologically advanced products in the professional dental care market and lack of skilled dentists in the some regions is restraining growth of the market. For instance, electric brush in India cost around INR 4,000, whereas the conventional brushes cost around INR 30.
Global Professional Dental Care Market Taxonomy
On the basis of product type, the global professional dental care market is segmented into:
- Manual Toothbrushes
- Electric Powered Toothbrushes
- Battery Powered Toothbrushes
- Toothbrush Heads
- Medicated Mouthwashes
- Non-medicated Mouthwashes
- Denture Products
- Other Denture Products
- Denture Accessories
- Breath Fresheners
- Whitening Products
- Dental Flosses
- Dental Water Jets
Product innovation and new product launches is expected to support growth of the professional dental care market
Regional segmentation of the professional dental care market by Coherent Market Insights comprises North America, Latin America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Africa, and Middle East. The market witnessed few product launches, for instance in February 2017, the Procter and Gamble under its Oral B brand introduced two new rechargeable electric brushes PRO 600 and Dubbed PRO 2000. The brushes comes with rotating, oscillating and pulsating technology for better removal of dental plaques and pressure sensors to maintain pressure on teeth. In January 2016, Kolibtree, a specialized dental care technology company showcased smart electric toothbrush at the consumer electronics show. The brush collects the user’s brushing habits through its integrated artificial intelligence connected to the device through an app. In June, 2017, Royal Philips introduced Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Smart. The electric brush comes with smart sensor technology and efficiently removes plaques from the teeth.
Moreover, in March 2017, AssureCare healthcare management solutions provider introduced dental module in healthcare platform, Medcompass. Medcompass is a configurable software for dental care and includes features to manage multiple planning tasks, appointments, and CTD codes. Introduction of these products in market is expected to increase the dental authorization processes, especially for low income group in the U.S.
Furthermore, recent acquisitions and distribution agreements are also expected to boost the growth of professional dental care market. For instance, in January 2017, the U.S based High Ridge Brands Company acquired Dr. Fresh LLC. The acquisition will extend the former product portfolio of its oral care category. In September, 2017 Smile Brands Inc. in association with A+ dental care acquired Folsom Dental Group. With this acquisition Smile brands will provide affordable dental care in the Sacramento area in the U.S.
Some of the major players operating in the global professional dental care market include Colgate-Palmolive Company (U.S.), Procter and Gamble Company, Young Innovation, Inc., Ultradent Products, Inc., Unilever plc, GC Corporation, Koninklijke Philips N.V., GlaxoSmithKline plc, Dr. Fresh, LLC, 3M Company, and Sunstar.
Professional Dental Care Market Key Developments:
- In June 2016, Ultradent Products Inc. launched new flavors for its ‘Enamelast Fluoride Varnish’ product range used for teeth. Company introduced three new delicious flavors including ‘Cool Mint’, ‘Bubble Gum’, and ‘Orange Cream’ in order to strengthen its consumer base.
- In July 2017, Young Innovations Inc. acquired certain product lines from Medical Products Laboratories, Inc. Acquired product lines include ‘VarnishAmerica fluoride varnish, ‘SealAmerica’ pit & fissure dental sealant kits, and ‘FluoriSHIELDTM’ dental gel. This acquisition is expected to expand product portfolio of Young Innovations Inc. in dental care product range.
- In February 2019, GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare Ltd. launched ‘Sensodyne Herbal Multi Care Toothpaste’ which is formulated with extracts of Eucalyptus and Fennel. This toothpaste is expected to offer sensitivity relief along with other oral care benefits such as cleansing and breath freshness.
- In August 2019, Colgate-Palmolive (India) Limited, launched its new ‘Colgate Total Toothpaste’ which is aimed at providing ‘Whole Mouth Health’. The toothpaste is formulated with innovative ingredients which are expected to offer multiple benefits including teeth care, tongue care, cheeks and gums care. Therefore, it will be considered as a total oral care solution for the consumers.