The global epitaxial wafer market
was valued at US$ 2.79 billion in 2017 and is projected to reach US$ 7.83 billion by 2026, exhibiting a CAGR of 12.4% over the forecast period, according to Global Epitaxial Wafer Market Report, by Deposition Type (Heteroepitaxy and Homeoepitaxy), by Wafer Size (50mm to 100mm, 100mm to 150mm, and above 150mm), by Application (LED Semiconductor, Power Semiconductor, and MEMS-based Devices), and by Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, The Middle East, and Africa), published by
An epitaxial wafer (also called epi wafer, epi-wafer, or epiwafer) is a wafer of semiconducting material made by epitaxial growth (epitaxy) for use in photonics, microelectronics, spintronics, or photovoltaics. The epi layer may be the same material as the substrate, typically monocrystaline silicon, or it may be a more exotic material with specific desirable qualities.
The market for epitaxial wafer is segmented on the basis of deposition type which includes heteroepitaxy and homeoepitaxy, which are the two prime methods used for epitaxial deposition. A film or layer is deposited on a substrate of dissimilar composition and is known as heteroepitaxy deposition. Laying a film or layer on a surface or substrate of a similar level of conformation is known as homoepitaxy. Growing demand for high end semiconductor equipment and devices and energy efficient LED lights is fueling growth of the market for epitaxial wafer, globally. Increasing focus on reducing the overall consumption of electricity along with growing awareness of green technology among consumers have compelled manufacturers to adopt eco-friendly and energy-efficient lighting for example LED lighting. Some of the major factors responsible for growing dependence on epitaxial deposition are reduction in the device failure at the time of implementation, and inspection of the epitaxial layer which makes it free of imperfections. For instance, it has been observed that the addition of an epitaxial layer on a transistor raises its breakdown voltage and increases the transistor's switching speed. Furthermore, some of the benefits of epitaxial wafers include controlled doping profile in a device structure and better physical properties.
Homoepitaxy is when the same material (or polytype) as the substrate is grown for example: Si on Si, 4H-SiC on 4H-SiC. Heteroepitaxy is when a different material (or polytype) from the substrate is grown for example: GaN on sapphire, 3C-SiC on 6H-SiC.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Key Trends and Analysis of Global 3D Audio Market:
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Among wafer size, 50mm to 100mm sized wafers was the dominant segment in the market in 2017 and is projected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. This is owing to increasing preference of LED chip manufacturers from 2-inch to 4-inch wafer process, which will drive demand for these wafer sizes for application in consumer electronics.
- Among application, LED semiconductor segment accounted for the largest share in 2017 and is projected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period as well. This is owing to growing demand for energy efficient products and advancements in technology such as organic light-emitting diode and favorable price fluctuation in LEDs.
- According to ’ analysis, Asia Pacific is the largest and fastest growing region in the global epitaxial wafer market, owing to high presence of numerous semiconductor wafer companies such as TSMC, Samsung, and SMIC, in the region.
- The key vendors in the market includes EpiWorks Inc., GlobalWafers Japan Co. Ltd., Nichia Corporation, and SHOWA DENKO K.K.
- Some of the other prominent players operating in the epitaxial wafer market include Siltronic AG, Desert Silicon Inc., Electronics and Materials Corporation Ltd., Intelligent Epitaxy Wafer Size Inc., IQE plc., Jenoptic AG, MOSPEC Semiconductor Corp Corporation, Norstel AB, Ommic S.A., Silicon Valley Microelectronics Inc., SVT Associates Inc., UniversalWafer Inc., Wafer Works Corporation, Xiamen Powerway Advanced Materials Co. Ltd., and Visual Photonics Epitaxy Co. Ltd.