The global food grade calcium chloride market is estimated to be valued at US$ 679.4 million in 2021, according to Food Grade Calcium Chloride Market Report, by Type (Calcium Chloride Dihydrate and Calcium Chloride Anhydrous), by Form (Flakes, Pellets, Granular, Powder, and Liquid) by Application (Beverage (Alcoholic and Non-alcoholic) Dairy, Meat, Bakery & Confectionery, Fruits & Vegetables, and Others (Food Additives, etc.)), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The global food grade calcium chloride market is expected to surpass US$ 1,078.7 million by 2028, exhibiting a CAGR of 6.8% during the forecast period (2021-2028). The global demand for food grade calcium chloride is rising due to its growing demand for industry of food and beverage will fuel food grade calcium chloride market demand. The food grade calcium chloride is used to increase firmness and shape of fruits & vegetables in cooking and processing. Fresh fruits and vegetables are an important part of the human meal. However, food grade calcium chloride are highly perishable and damage leads to small margins & high prices, which in turn can lead to lower consumption. For instance, according to the report ‘The State of Food And Agriculture, 2019’, published by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, in 2017, the global fruits and vegetables post-harvest losses were estimated to be 22% of the total fruits and vegetables produced. Fruits and vegetables producers are focusing on alternatives to increase storage life of the products and reduce decaying of products. Calcium chloride is used in pickling brine. It helps in adding a salty taste to pickles without increasing the sodium intake, helps in maintaining the firmness, and also speeds up fermentation during the pickling process.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 50 market data tables* and 40 figures* on "Food Grade Calcium Chloride Market” - Global Forecast to 2028.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Food Grade Calcium Chloride Market:
- Among regions, North America accounted for the share of 27.19% in 2020 in the global food grade calcium chloride market. North America market has high presence of some of the key players in the market. For instance, the U.S. has the presence of players such as Hawkins and Occidental Petroleum Corporation that have played a significant role in the growth of the food grade calcium chloride market. Apart from this, as per the revised regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, on April 01, 2020, calcium chloride met the specifications of the Food Chemicals Codex, 3d Ed. (1981), p. 47 and was listed as safe for consumption in the U.S. This has further accelerated the demand for food grade calcium chloride in the U.S.
Key Takeaways of the Food Grade Calcium Chloride Market:
- Among application, dairy segment accounted for the highest market share of 27.24% in 2020, in the global food grade calcium chloride The major dairy application of calcium chloride is in cheese making. In the basic procedure of cheese making, calcium chloride acts as a firming agent, helping the cheese curds in clumping together and attain stability to the clumps further in the process. Furthermore, it is also helpful in regulating the process of separating the whey and curd. Addition of small amount of calcium chloride to the milk alters the calcium content and the pH of the milk in which the cheese is prepared and ultimately enhances the properties of the cheese.
- The others segment in application segment includes beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), bakery & confectionery, etc. which has seen a significant growth in global food grade calcium chloride market. Calcium chloride is used in the brewing industry to adjust the pH of the drink. The pH is known to be the most important factor in the brewing industry and has been calculated to be ranged between 5.3-5.5. The maintenance of pH is extremely important for the right conversion of sugars during the mashing process and also due to its effect on the finished products such as beer. The non-alcoholic beverage on the other hand has also been gaining importance in the food industry.
- Major players operating in the global food grade calcium chloride market include Solvay S.A., Tokuyama Corporation, Occidental Petroleum Corporation, Ward Chemical Ltd., Tata Chemicals Ltd., TETRA Technologies, Inc., Zirax Limited, Weifang Yuze Chemical Co., Ltd., Mey Chern Chemicals Sdn Bhd., Anmol Chemicals Group, TCI Sanmar Chemicals S.A.E., and Weifang Haibin Chemical Co., Ltd.
- Technology launches, acquisitions, and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the global food grade calcium chloride market. For instance, in November 2019, Zirax Limited, producer of calcium chloride started shipments of its high purity synthetic food grade calcium chloride prills 95% Fudix in Guatemala, Croatia, and Jordan, owing to increase in the demand for calcium chloride in these countries for postharvest treatment of fresh fruits and vegetables.
Global Food Grade Calcium Chloride Market - Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
- The consequences of COVID-19 pandemic have led to the slowdown of food grade calcium chloride production, demand, and trade. Food grade calcium chloride is mainly used in the cheese production. For instance, according to a press release by France Terre de Lait (French dairy industry) in April 2020, sales of certain cheese in France have dropped by 60% during the pandemic. This is largely due to closure of restaurants, markets, and cheese-mongers, as well as people in France preferring to buy basic products (such as milk) over cheese. Moreover, French citizens wary of germs and hygiene standards, have been buying less over-the-counter cheese. This has made producers to cut back production of cheese, which is expected to restrict demand for food calcium chloride during the pandemic.