The global gellan gum market
was valued at US$ 153.4 Mn
in 2018, according to Global Gellan Gum Market Report, by Product Type (High Acyl Content and Low Acyl Content), by Application (Food & Beverages (Bakery & Confectionery, Dairy Products, Meat & Poultry, Sauces & Dressings, and Beverages), Pharmaceutical, Cosmetics & Personal Care, and Others (Biotechnology and Others)), and by Region (North America, South America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East and Africa), published by .
The global gellan gum market is expected to reach US$ 416.1 Mn by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 11.8% during the forecast period (2019-2027), owing to increasing consumer preference for gellan gum due to its various applications in the food industry.
Gellan gum is utilized as a gelatin substitute in the production of confectioneries and vegan candies. Moreover, it is also utilized in plant-based milk products such as soy milk. Gellan gum can be used in ice creams.
Gellan gum also helps to separate ingredients during preparation of bakery items. It helps in prevention of color change in purees and spreads, and also helps to get the correct gel consistency. It assists in increment of fluid viscosity, thus producing thick liquids which are utilized in food products and beverage. These advantages offered by gellan gum are expected to propel growth of the global gellan gum market during the forecast period.
However, health issues such as abdominal bloating, excessive gas, loose stools or diarrhea associated with over-consumption of gellan gum are expected to hamper the market growth. Moreover, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not given gellan gum the ‘Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS)’ status, although the U.S. FDA has approved its usage in food products.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 32 market data tables* and 20 figures* on "Gellan Gum Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- On the basis of product type, high acyl gellan gum segment accounted for 63.3% of the revenue share in the global gellan gum market in 2018. High acyl gellan gel does not require additional cation ions to form gel and are thermally reversible in nature. High acyl gellan gum is powdery in nature & its color varies from white to tan and has lighter density compared to low acyl gellan gum. Beneficial properties associated with high acyl gellan gum relates to high acyl gellan gum segment accounting for a significant market share throughout the forecast period.
- On the basis of application, the food and beverage segment is expected to dominate the global gellan gum market over the forecast period. Food and beverage segment accounted for a market share of 72.9% in 2018. Increasing demand for bakery products is expected to lead to high demand for gellan gums in the food & beverage segment. For instance, according to the Ministry of Food Processing Industries and Government of India, the bakery market in India was valued at US$ 5,977 million in 2016, and is expected to exhibit at a CAGR of 10.98% during 2016-2020
- Among regions, North America accounted for a revenue share of over 38.1% in the global gellan gum market in 2018, and is expected to retain its dominance over the forecast period. For instance, in August 2019, CP Kelco expanded the gellan gum manufacturing capacity at its plant in Oklahoma, U.S. This expansion has helped CP Kelco to strengthen its position in the North America market. Furthermore, major market players such as CP Kelco, H & A Canada Inc., and DuPont, among others have presence in this region.
- Moreover, increasing disposable income is expected to boost growth of the food & beverages industry, which, in turn, is expected to fuel demand for gellan gum in North America. For instance, according to the Trading Economics Statistics on United States Disposable Personal Income, the disposable personal income in the U.S. averaged US$ 5,200.2 billion in 1959, which increased to reach US$ 15,742.81 billion in November 2018.
- Major players operating in the global gellan gum market include DSM, CP Kelco, H & A Canada Inc., Nanjing JoyfulchemCo., Ltd., Dancheng Caixin Sugar Industry Co. Ltd., Zhengzhou Cinogel Biotech Co., Ltd., Hangzhou Gellan Solutions Biotec Co., Ltd., DuPont, Hebei Xinhe Biochemical Co. Ltd, and Nutricorn Co., Limited.