The global glutathione market was valued at US$ 219.0 million in 2020, according to the Global Glutathione Market Report, by Product Type (Reduced Glutathione and Oxidized Glutathione), by Application (Food & Beverages, Pharmaceuticals, Personal Care & Cosmetics, and Others), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The global glutathione market is expected to surpass US$ 361.0 million by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 7.4% during the forecast period (2020-2027). Glutathione is widely used as an antioxidant ingredient in various personal care & cosmetics products. Robust demand for cosmetic products coupled with increasing consumer spending especially in the Asia Pacific region is predominantly fueling the market growth of glutathione. For instance, according to The International Trade Administration (ITA), Thailand’s beauty and personal care products market was valued at around US$ 6.2 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach US$ 8.0 billion in 2022. According to same source, The beauty care and personal care market in Thailand are estimated to witness a growth of 7.3% per year from 2019 to 2022. This is attributed to the growing aging and middle age population in the region.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 25 market data tables* and 20 figures* on "Glutathione Market” - Global Forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Glutathione Market:
- Among regions, North America is expected to account for significant share in the global glutathione market during the forecast period. The growth of the pharmaceutical sector in the region is driving the market growth of glutathione. For instance, according to a report released by the U.S. Consumer Healthcare Products Association (CHPA) in 2019, “The Value of OTC Medicines to the U.S. Healthcare System”, on an average, U.S. households spend about US$ 442 annually on OTC (Over-the-counter) drugs. According to the same source, OTC drugs retail sales in the U.S. was valued at US$ 35.2 billion in 2019, which increased to US$ 36.5 billion in 2020. Thus, growing demand for OTC drugs is expected to drive the pharmaceutical industry in the region.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Among product type, reduced glutathione segment is expected to have significant share in the global glutathione market. Glutathione acts as an antioxidant, and helps in detoxification of drugs and xenobiotic. Reduced glutathione acts as a hydrogen donor in the detoxification of hydrogen peroxide. As a dietary supplement, reduced glutathione helps in improving liver abnormalities, improvement of diabetic complications, protection from viral infection, and antitumor activity. It is even used in the treatment of autism. Moreover, reduced glutathione is also used to prevent harmful side effects of chemotherapy such as tiredness, infections, anemia etc. to cancer These factors are expected to drive demand for reduced glutathione, thereby driving the segment growth over the forecast period.
- Major players operating in the global glutathione market include Kyowa Hakko Bio Co., Ltd., Shandong Jincheng Biological Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., KOHJIN Life Sciences Co., Ltd., Shenzhen GSH Bio-Technology Co, Ltd, Kaiping Genuine Biochemical Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd., Nissor Pharmaceuticals Ltd., and Jarrow Formulas, Inc.
- Key players operating in the glutathione market are focusing on various strategies such as new product launches, in order to strengthen their market presence and expand their product portfolio. For instance, in 2019, PT IMEDCO (Indonesia-based pharmaceutical company) launched Glubio, a glutathione supplement for those who may have conditions associated with low glutathione levels in body.
Global Glutathione Market - Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
- COVID-19 pandemic has disrupted the global supply chain, which has resulted in lack of goods for consumers and raw materials for all major industries. COVID-19 has changed the consumer buying pattern and have made consumer conservative, leading to decline in their spending for non-essentials products. Nationwide lockdown, and social distancing measures implemented by leading countries such as India, U.K., Italy, Spain, Russia, Malaysia, Singapore, and Saudi Arabia, has negatively impacted the demand for fragrances and color cosmetics, in these countries. This is expected to hamper demand of glutathione from the cosmetics sector. However, the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic situation has increased sales of personal hygiene and cleansing products such as soaps and skin care products. For instance, according to Coherent Market Insights (CMI) and L’Oreal S.A.’s quarterly report published in April 2020, brands such as Kiehl’s, Lancôme, and Helena Rubinstein, which have a large proportion of skincare products outperformed the company’s other luxury brands in the first quarter of 2020. This is expected to drive demand for glutathione during the pandemic.