The global water treatment chemicals market
was valued at US$ 30.0 billion in 2018, according to Global Water Treatment Chemicals Market Report, by Product Type (Coagulants & Flocculants, Corrosion Inhibitors, Scale Inhibitors, pH Adjusters & Stabilizers, Biocides & Disinfectants, and Others), by Application (Industrial (Power Generation, Chemicals & Petrochemicals, Pulp & Paper, Tanning and Others) and Municipal), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa), published by
The global water treatment chemicals market is projected to reach US$ 49.0 Billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 5.6% during the forecast period. Low water reserves and minimal rainfall are some of the challenges faced by major countries around the world. However, demand for water is increasing along with rising population, increasing urbanization, and industrialization in the region. For instance, according to an article titled ‘Water demand versus supply in Saudi Arabia: current and future challenges’ published by International Journal of Water Resources Development in 2014, total water demand in Saudi Arabia for combined domestic, agricultural, and industrial sectors was around 18,000 million m3 in 2010 and it is projected to increase up to 20,000 million m3 by 2030. The article also states that the water supply capacity of treated waste water in Saudi Arabia was around 200 million m3 in 2010, which is projected to increase up to 1,838 million m3 by 2030. Rising demand for wastewater treatment is, in turn, expected to drive demand for water treatment chemicals over the forecast period.
However, chemicals such as ferric chloride used in water treatment are highly corrosive in nature, thus requiring special storage equipment and pumping equipment for its usage as coagulant in water treatment. This is expected to limit the use of chemicals in water treatment processes, thereby restraining growth of the market.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 25 market data tables* and 20 figures* on "Water Treatment Chemicals Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Water Treatment Chemicals Market:
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Among product type, coagulants & flocculants segment is expected to be the fastest growing in the global water treatment chemicals market during the forecast period. Coagulants are used in wastewater treatment process for water clarification, solid removal, sludge thickening, solid dewatering, and lime softening. Increasing focus of industries on the treatment of wastewater due to stringent government regulations is expected to drive the market growth over the forecast period.
- Key players operating in the global water treatment chemicals market are focused on adopting strategies such as mergers & acquisitions, in order to strengthen their position in the market and expand their geographical presence. For instance, in 2017, Kurita Water Industries Ltd. (a Japanese manufacturer of water treatment chemicals) acquired Fremont Industries, LLC (a U.S.-based manufacturer of water treatment chemicals). The acquisition will help Kurita to expand its presence in the U.S.
- North America accounted for the largest market share of 30.5% in 2018 in the global water treatment chemicals market. Stringent regulations imposed by the government for supply of clean drinking water is expected to propel growth of the water treatment chemicals market. In the U.S., under the Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has been given the authority to set standards for drinking water quality. The EPA has set maximum contaminant levels and treatment techniques required for over 90 different contaminants.
- Key players operating in the global water treatment chemicals market are focused on new product launches, in order to strengthen their position in the market. For instance, in January 2014, BASF launched new cationic powder flocculant range Zetag ULTRA for high dewatering performance at low dosage rates. Zetag ULTRA has strong floc integrity to withstand high shear forces, which makes it especially effective for use in centrifuge applications as well as for dissolved air flotation.
- Major players operating in the global water treatment chemicals market include BASF S.E., Suez S.A., Kemira OYJ, BWA Water Additives, Ecolab Inc., Cortec Corporation, DowDuPont Inc., Baker Huges Incorporated, Akzo Nobel N.V., and Solenis LLC