The DevOps Automation Tools Market size is expected to reach US$ 24.95 billion by 2030, from US$ 5.79 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 23.2% during the forecast period. DevOps automation tools help organizations accelerate software delivery and improve overall operational efficiency. These tools automate various processes in the software delivery lifecycle such as building, testing, deploying, and monitoring applications. The key drivers of the market include digital transformation initiatives, adoption of cloud computing, need for faster time-to-market, and shift left testing approach.
The DevOps Automation Tools Market is segmented by type, deployment, organization size, vertical, and region. By type, the market is segmented into configuration management tools, continuous integration/continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools, container management tools, infrastructure automation tools, application release automation tools, analytics and monitoring tools, and others. The CI/CD tools segment is expected to account for the largest share during the forecast period owing to the rising need for continuous software delivery and integration.
DevOps Automation Tools Market Regional Insights:
- North America is expected to be the largest market for DevOps Automation Tools Market during the forecast period, accounting for over 32.5% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in North America is attributed to the early adoption of DevOps practices and automation tools, presence of major technology vendors, and strong IT infrastructure.
- The Europe market is expected to be the second-largest market for DevOps Automation Tools Market, accounting for over 25.2% of the market share in 2022. The growth of the market in is attributed to the rising demand for digital transformation and increased adoption of agile and DevOps methodologies.
- The Asia Pacific market is expected to be the fastest-growing market for DevOps Automation Tools Market, with a CAGR of over 13.1% during the forecast period. The growth of the market in Asia Pacific is attributed to the rapid adoption of automation and DevOps among SMEs and increased IT spending by enterprises in the region.
Figure 1. Global DevOps Automation Tools Market Share (%), By Region, 2023
DevOps Automation Tools Market Drivers:
- Adoption of Agile and DevOps Methodologies: The adoption of agile and DevOps methodologies is driving the growth of the DevOps automation tools market. Organizations are moving away from traditional waterfall development to agile approaches to enable faster delivery of software applications. Agile breaks down the development cycle into smaller parts and involves continuous collaboration between cross-functional teams. DevOps expands agile principles beyond development to also include IT operations teams. This culture shift requires the support of automation tools that can seamlessly integrate tasks between teams. The tools help achieve continuous integration and delivery of incremental software updates. As per industry estimates, over 70% of organizations are now implementing DevOps practices, which is contributing to the rising adoption of enabling tools.
- Focus on Improving Efficiency and Reducing Errors: Another key driver is the focus on improving efficiency, productivity, and reducing errors in the software delivery process through automation. Manual and disjointed processes often lead to delays, increased costs, system failures, and security issues. Using DevOps automation tools, organizations can standardize workflows, configure infrastructure faster, and automate repetitious tasks. This helps accelerate cycle times. Automated build, testing, and deployment lowers the risk of errors and enhances software quality. A study by Puppet indicated that teams using DevOps practices have up to 60X more frequent code deployments, 96% faster recovery, and 440% reduced lead time to changes. The promise of such benefits is fueling the demand for DevOps automation tools across various industries.
- Cloud-Native Application Development: The rise of cloud-native application development is also contributing to market growth. Cloud-native apps are designed specifically for cloud platforms, utilizing microservices and containers. They can be rapidly provisioned and scaled using infrastructure automation tools. The dynamic nature of cloud-native apps requires continuous delivery enabled by CI/CD pipelines. Container orchestration platforms help manage distributed container deployments. DevOps automation tools that are cloud-enabled support organizations in building, deploying and managing cloud-native applications. According to Red Hat, over 70% of organizations are now developing cloud-native apps, indicating strong potential for associated DevOps tools.
- Need for Business Agility and Faster Time-to-Market: Organizations are adopting DevOps automation tools to achieve greater business agility and faster time-to-market. Shorter product cycles and dynamic customer needs are compelling businesses to accelerate their software delivery. Lengthy release cycles up to months can negatively impact competiveness in many industries. DevOps automation tools help optimize cycle times by standardizing release processes, automating manual tasks, and enabling continuous delivery. Teams are able to launch new features and updates in weeks or even days. The ability to gain market advantage by faster launches of new products and services is a key driver for DevOps automation tools uptake.
DevOps Automation Tools Market Opportunities:
- Integration With Emerging Technologies Like AI and Big Data: There are significant opportunities for integration of emerging technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning, and big data analytics with DevOps automation tools. AI capabilities can be used for smarter test case generation, predictive infrastructure provisioning, anomaly detection, and monitoring in CI/CD pipelines. Big data analytics provides deeper insights from logs and application performance data to optimize workflows. Integrating such technologies can make DevOps tools smarter, efficient and further augment automation. Vendors are already offering some integration capabilities but there is scope for enhancement. Extended integration will expand the capabilities and appeal of DevOps tools for modern application needs.
- Adoption Among SMEs: The growing adoption of agile and DevOps practices among small and medium enterprises (SMEs) provides an opportunity for vendors. DevOps automation tools have traditionally witnessed higher adoption among large enterprises. But SMEs are now also transitioning to cloud-native development and implementing automation to compete effectively. Vendors are introducing low-code, pre-packaged and easy to implement DevOps platforms targeted for SMEs. Partnerships with cloud platforms also provide SMEs access to DevOps capabilities. The burgeoning SME segment across industries will be a key opportunity for market growth.
- Increasing Popularity of Multi-Cloud Deployments: The rising trend of multi-cloud deployments by enterprises to avoid vendor lock-in is an opportunity for DevOps tools vendors. Organizations often adopt different cloud platforms to take advantage of specific services offered by each. This results in distributed application infrastructure across cloud environments. DevOps automation tools that can provide consistency, enable federated identity management, and orchestrate deployments across different cloud platforms are essential. There is significant potential for vendors offering robust multi-cloud capabilities as many organizations now follow a multi-cloud strategy.
- Growing Enterprise Mobile and IoT Applications: The increasing enterprise adoption of mobile, web, and IoT applications provides an opportunity for specialized DevOps automation tools for these app segments. Automating release processes for mobile apps has its unique challenges like faster release cycles, need for over-the-air updates etc. IoT application deployments that span diverse hardware and edge environments have specific infrastructure needs. Development of advanced next-gen automation capabilities tailored for mobile, web and IoT apps can help vendors tap these high-growth markets. It will expand the available use cases and drive further adoption of DevOps tools.
DevOps Automation Tools Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 5.79 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 24.95 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Type: Configuration Management Tools, Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery Tools, Container Management Tools, Infrastructure Automation Tools, Application Release Automation Tools, Analytics and Monitoring Tools, Others
- By Deployment: On-premises, Cloud
- By Organization Size: SMEs, Large Enterprises
- By Vertical: IT & Telecom, BFSI, Retail & CPG, Healthcare, Government & Public Sector, Manufacturing, Others
Ansible, Puppet, Chef, SaltStack, Docker, Jenkins, Bamboo, Microsoft Team Foundation Server, Octopus Deploy, CA Release Automation, XebiaLabs, Electric Cloud, Red Hat, GitLab, AWS CodeDeploy, CircleCI, Codeship, Spinnaker, Harness, Alibaba Cloud
- Adoption of agile and DevOps methodologies
- Focus on improving efficiency and reducing errors
- Cloud-native application development
- Need for business agility and faster time-to-market
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Legacy systems integration and compatibility challenges
- Lack of standardization between tools and cloud platforms
- Requirement of new skills and organizational change management
DevOps Automation Tools Market Trends:
- Shift to Containers and Microservices: A major technology trend is the growing shift from monolithic architectures to containers and microservices in application development. Containers enable portable and consistent deployments across environments. Microservices are modular loosely coupled components. This enables faster releases, flexibility and scalability. But the distributed nature also increases deployment complexity. Container orchestration and management platforms automate container deployments and streamline CI/CD pipeline integration. Integration of robust container capabilities by DevOps tools vendors is a key trend shaping product evolution.
- Increasing Adoption of Open Source Tools: Organizations are increasingly adopting open source DevOps tools to avoid vendor lock-in and reduce costs. The open source community has developed mature solutions across the DevOps lifecycle like Jenkins, Ansible, Docker, and Kubernetes. Vendors are enhancing support for open source ecosystem integration as part of their offerings. Open source tools also enable easier customization for specific organizational needs. However, enterprises still depend on vendors for support services. Managed services for open source DevOps technologies is an emerging trend enabling adoption.
- Rise of DevOps Culture and Organizational Transformation: The DevOps cultural shift is transitioning enterprises from siloed ways of working to cross-functional integrated teams. Adopting DevOps requires transforming processes, culture, organization structure and collaboration. This means vendors have to focus on enabling cultural change beyond just providing technology tools. Offering capabilities for metrics, feedback and collaboration will be important. Training programs around nurturing a DevOps culture are also gaining significance. The holistic focus on organizational DevOps transformation is shaping vendor offerings and go-to-market strategies.
- Integration Between DevOps Tools for End-to-End Workflows: There is a growing demand for streamlined integration between different classes of DevOps automation tools to achieve continuous end-to-end workflows. Organizations are adopting dozens of tools across the application lifecycle leading to complexities in managing the toolchain. Vendors are focused on improving integration capabilities, such as providing common APIs and standards. Emergence of integrated DevOps platforms promises to provide a unified solution. IDC predicts over 75% of DevOps adopters will utilize integrated tools or platforms by 2025. Enabling seamless workflows is essential for market growth.
DevOps Automation Tools Market Restraints:
- Legacy Systems Integration and Compatibility Challenges: Integration challenges with legacy systems and architectures often tend to restrain adoption. Much of the implementation focus has been on greenfield applications rather than existing backend systems. Integrating DevOps pipelines with legacy monolithic systems is difficult and requires API enablement. Many organizations have made large prior investments into enterprise software systems. Retiring complex legacy systems involves high costs and risks. Upgrading legacy systems to make them DevOps-ready has technology limitations. These integration and compatibility challenges result in slower adoption among established enterprises.
- Lack of Standardization Between Tools and Cloud Platforms: While integration between tools is improving, there is still lack of standardized approaches and architectures. This makes it difficult to configure toolchains spanning different vendor solutions and cloud platforms. Lack of common standards also hinders developer experience and impacts productivity. Vendors have taken initial steps like adopting common schema and pushing for standards adoption. But standardization limitations continue to cause adoption barriers as organizations prefer integrated toolchains with uniform workflows.
- Requirement of New Skills and Organizational Change Management: Transitioning people and processes to new ways of working using DevOps practices is difficult. It requires learning new tools and technologies, which needs reskilling and training. There is also lack of integrated expertise with knowledge spanning development, infrastructure/operations and automation. Managing the organizational change and aligning culture is hugely important for success. Firms can face resistance due to lack of readiness. These change management challenges tend to affect the speed of adoption and usage of DevOps automation tools within organizations.
New product launches:
- In September 2022, Puppet announced the launch of Puppet Compile, a new product to help developers build better code through testing. It brings automated testing into the developer workflow.
- In June 2022, Red Hat launched Red Hat Ansible Automation Platform on Microsoft Azure, allowing enterprises to scale automation across hybrid cloud environments.
- In March 2022, AWS announced the general availability of AWS Fault Injection Simulator, a fully managed service that provides controlled experiments to improve application resilience.
Acquisition and partnerships:
- In October 2022, Mirantis acquired Docker’s Enterprise business to further integrate container tools into its managed Kubernetes offerings.
- In September 2022, Progress announced the acquisition of MarkLogic, a database platform, to expand its digital experience capabilities.
- In June 2022, Broadcom announced plans to acquire VMware, a major provider of cloud infrastructure and digital workspace technology.
Figure 2. Global DevOps Automation Tools Market Share (%), By Vertical, 2023
Top companies in DevOps Automation Tools Market:
- Microsoft Team Foundation Server
- Octopus Deploy
- CA Release Automation
- Electric Cloud
- Red Hat
- AWS CodeDeploy
- Alibaba Cloud
Definition: The DevOps Automation Tools Market refers to the tools and platforms used by organizations to automate and integrate the entire software development and delivery lifecycle. It aims to improve collaboration between development, operations, and testing teams to accelerate software releases. These tools help automate repetitive processes like building, testing, deploying, configuring infrastructure, and application monitoring. The use of DevOps automation tools enables continuous integration and delivery of software applications. Some of the major tools include configuration management, continuous integration/delivery, infrastructure automation, container management, and release automation tools. The market has witnessed significant growth owing to the benefits like faster time-to-market, improved efficiency, and quality of software releases.
Few Other Promising Reports in Smart Technologies Industry
Agile Project Management Software Market
Cloud Analytics Market
Retail Digital Transformation Market
Healthcare Cloud Computing Market