Impact Analysis of Covid-19
The complete version of the Report will include the impact of the COVID-19, and anticipated change on the future outlook of the industry, by taking into the account the political, economic, social, and technological parameters.
Blood pressure monitoring and testing includes use of sphygmomanometer (aneroid sphygmomanometer, mercury sphygmomanometer and digital sphygmomanometer), automated blood pressure monitors, ambulatory blood pressure monitors, blood pressure transducers, and blood pressure instrument accessories.
The global blood pressure monitoring testing drugs market is estimated to be valued at US$ 4,560.1 million in 2021 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 11.7% over the forecast period (2021-2028).
On May 26, 2021, Biobeat, a global leader in wearable remote patient monitoring solutions for the healthcare continuum, announced today the launch of its new wearable and continuous ambulatory blood pressure monitoring (ABPM) chest-monitoring device.
In July 2020, Vancouver Coastal Health, a regional health authority, has replaced its reusable blood pressure cuffs with disposable ones to prevent cross-contamination and limit the spread of COVID-19, thereby increasing the demand for disposable blood pressure cuffs by its affiliated members.
In July, 2020, Omron Healthcare Inc. and Mount Sinai Health System (New York City’s largest academic medical system) have done collabotaion to offer patients the new VitalSight home blood pressure monitoring solution.
North America held dominant position in the global blood pressure monitoring testing market in 2020, accounting for 44.9% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively. Growth of North America market during the forecast period can be attributed to rising prevalence of heart diseases, increasing product launches in recent years, and growing adoption of home blood pressure monitors in the region. For instance, as per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) data, in 2018, around half a million deaths in the United States included hypertension as a primary or contributing cause, and nearly half of adults (45%) with uncontrolled hypertension have a blood pressure of 140/90 mm Hg or higher. This includes 37 million U.S. adults.
Figure 1. Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market Value (US$ Mn), by Region, 2020
Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market: Drivers
Increasing prevalence of hypertension is expected to propel growth of the global blood pressure monitoring testing market over the forecast period. For instance, according to a cross-sectional, population-based study, ‘Diabetes and Hypertension in India: A Nationally Representative Study of 1.3 Million Adults’, published in JAMA Internal Medicine in March 2018, the crude prevalence of hypertension in India was 25.3% between 2012 and 2014.
Moreover, increasing geriatric population is also expected to aid in growth of the market. For instance, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, the U.S. geriatric population is expected to reach 77 million by 2034.
Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 4,560.1 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2021 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2021 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 9,900.4 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Sphygmomanometer/Aneroid BP Monitors, Automated/Digital Blood Pressure Monitors (Arm, Wrist, Finger), Ambulatory Blood Pressure Monitors, Transducers (Disposable, Reusable), Instruments and Accessories, Blood Pressure Cuffs (Disposable, Reusable), Others
- By End User: Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers & Clinics, Home Healthcare
A&D Medical, Inc., Contec Medical Systems Co., Ltd., Covidien Plc, GE Healthcare, Masimo Corporation, Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Co., Ltd., SunTech Medical, Inc., Nihon Kohden Corporation, Philips Healthcare, Spacelabs Healthcare, Omron Healthcare, Inc., Withings sas, and Welch Allyn, Inc. (Hill-Rom, Inc.)
- Increasing prevalence of hypertension
- Increasing geriatric population
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Unfavorable reimbursement policies
- Under-diagnosis of lifestyle diseases
Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market: Opportunities
Increasing prevalence of cardiovascular diseases in emerging economies is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global blood pressure monitoring testing market. For instance, according to the study, ‘Cardiovascular Diseases in India Compared With the United States, published in July 2018, in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology, the estimated age-standardized prevalence of CVD in India in 2016 was 5,681 per 100,000.
Moreover, market players can focus on developing wearable blood pressure monitoring devices to expand their product portfolio.
Major players in the market are focused on adopting partnership strategies to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in April 2020, OMRON Healthcare, Co., Ltd. partnered with AliveCor, Inc. to integrate AliveCor’s ECG technology with blood pressure devices from OMRON for non-invasive remote monitoring devices.
Major players in the market are also focused on increasing awareness regarding cardiovascular diseases. For instance, in September 2019, Withings sas partnered with the World Heart Federation to raise awareness of cardiovascular diseases.
Figure 2. Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market Share, By Product Type, 2020
Key Takeaways of the Graph:
- Among Product Type, the Sphygmomanometer/Aneroid BP Monitors held dominant position in the market and accounted for 50.0% share in the global blood pressure monitoring testing market in 2020. The segment is expected to reach US$ 4,417.1 million in 2028.
- Sphygmomanometer/Aneroid BP Monitors dominated the global market in 2020, owing to new product launches, innovative product developments with advanced technologies, and rising adoption of home blood pressure monitoring trend.
- Among end user, hospitals held dominant position in the market and accounted for 61.3% share in the global blood pressure monitoring testing market in 2020. The segment is expected to reach US$ 6,167.9 million in 2028.
- Dominance of hospitals segment can be ascribed to growing adoption of BP monitoring devices, and presence of a large patient pool with need for cost-effective, fast, and accurate diagnostic tools for better health outcomes in hospitals
Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market: Restraints
Unfavorable reimbursement policies are expected to hinder growth of the market. Reimbursement is not available for all types of blood pressure monitoring devices. For instance, in the U.S., Medicare provides reimbursement only for the ambulatory blood pressure monitors used for the diagnosis of white coat hypertension.
Moreover, lifestyle diseases often remain underdiagnosed, especially in emerging economies, which is also expected to limit growth of the market.
Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market: Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global blood pressure monitoring testing market include, A&D Medical, Inc., Contec Medical Systems Co., Ltd., Covidien Plc, GE Healthcare, Masimo Corporation, Shenzhen Mindray Bio-Medical Electronics Co., Ltd., SunTech Medical, Inc., Nihon Kohden Corporation, Philips Healthcare, Spacelabs Healthcare, Omron Healthcare, Inc., Withings sas, and Welch Allyn, Inc. (Hill-Rom, Inc.)
Global Blood Pressure Monitoring Testing Market: Key Developments
Major players in the market are focused on launching new and redesigned products to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in October 2019, OMRON Healthcare, Inc. launched newly redesigned models of its blood pressure monitors with new features.
Similarly, in July 2019, Withings sas launched two new at-home blood pressure monitors: Withings BPM Core, an over-the-counter device that measures blood pressure and Withings BPM Connect, an updated version of the classic Withings BPM.