Boom curtains are impermeable barriers and are constructed using a thermoplastic material. The upper hem consists of floatation material and lower hem contains ballast material. Boom curtains or turbidity curtains are used to prevent fine particles of the slit that are discharged into the water from construction & reclamation activities from entering in water resources such as lakes, ponds, and sea. The curtains allow suspended sediment to settle out in the water column at a dredging site within a controlled area.It controls the area affected by suspended sediment present at dredging sites.
Boom curtains are used for protecting the contaminated environment from sediment control. Use of synthetic material is a cost-effective solution for minimizing environmental disturbances created by lakeshore remediation projects. Boom curtains enclose turbidity and minimize the influence of slits on outside area. The inside velocity of the curtain is much lower than the outside velocity. The curtains accelerate the sedimentation of the slit by reducing flow velocity.
Boom curtains come in various types depending on the water conditions. Type I curtains are designed for calm water bodies such as small ponds, canals, small lakes, and small harbors. Type II curtains are specifically designed for moving water with waves. Type II curtains are used for demolition work, rip-rap installations, pile driving, dredging, and other similar activities. Type III curtains are used for rough waves and fast-moving waters. Type III curtains are designed for long-term projects.
Increasing number of construction & reclamation projects is expected to significantly boost the growth of the boom curtain market. Moreover, increasing environmental concerns regarding water pollution are also expected to propel the market growth. According to a report released by Global Construction Perspectives and Oxford Economics on November 10, 2015, the construction sector is projected to witness a growth rate of 85% to reach US$ 15.5 trillion by 2030 worldwide.
Government initiatives in support of using boom curtains in order to expected to increase demand for boom curtains over the forecast period. For instance, in 2010, Civil Contractors Federation issued guidelines for the usage of turbidity and slit curtains at construction sites carried on water bodies.
- Boom curtains are available in various types such as duraboom solid float curtain boom and . Boom curtains are made from polyvinyl chloride (PVC), polyurethane (PU) and neoprene.
- Increasing environmental concerns is expected to positively impact demand for boom curtains over the forecast period. Boom curtains play a vital role in safeguarding water resources from silt and disturbed sediment generated from construction activities. For instance, in recent years, the government introduced many laws in order to minimize the potential impact of construction sites on water bodies such as Clean Water Act and Caltrans Statewide Storm Water Management Plan (SWMP).
- Boom curtains are UV and oil resistant and can be customized according to different water conditions. These curtains also offer to crumble free closed cell flotation. Therefore, these advantages are projected to increase demand for boom curtains over the forecast period.
- Based on application, the market for boom curtains is segmented into lakes, ponds, sea, and Other applications include rivers, ports, dams, and harbors. Boom curtains are used in bridge construction or repairs and civil works adjacent to waterways, excavation, and other activities.
- Major companies operating in the global boom curtain market include Perth Petroleum Services, GEI Works, Vikoma International Ltd, Parker Systems, Inc., and Enviro-USA American Manufacturer, LLC.
On the basis of product type, the global boom curtain market is segmented into:
- Duraboom Solid Float Curtain Boom
- Neptune Air Inflatable Curtain Boom
On the basis of application, the global boom curtain market is segmented into:
- Others (harbors, rivers, and dams, and ports)
On the basis of region, the global boom curtain market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Rest of Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa
- In December 2019, Perth Petroleum Services launched a new two oil spill system – “SCANTRAWL” which uses wing-like “Desmi RO-BOOM” Structures to guide and sweep floating tar balls into specially designed nets. This new innovation in the marine field will drive-up the demand for boom curtains in the sea application.
- In October 2019, IWT Cargo Guard – an oil compartment boom and slit curtains manufacturer developed products for emergency spill response to the marine oil exploration facilities in Europe. The company provides Spill containment systems made from boom curtains ideal for remediation projects, petrochemical spills and environmental clean-up process.
- In November 2018, Vikoma International Ltd, an oil spill solutions provider, launched a portable skimmers for drainage sumps, waste water retention and deep access holes which are often difficult to reach using a traditional skimming system. The launch will drive up the growth for mini-skimmers, which will further increase the demand for boom curtains used in skimming systems.