Dental autoclaves are a commonly used to clean and sterilize dental equipment. An autoclave is a medical device specifically designed to clean the surface with extreme heat, steam, and a highly pressurized environment. Autoclaves are used to ensure that no bacteria, sediments, and microbes will be left on the dental equipment. They will guarantee a safe environment for both dental professionals and patients alike. It is the most effective and most commonly used method of sterilization in dental practices. An autoclave uses high-temperature steam under pressure to kill bacteria and germs. This is because pressurized steam in a dental autoclave can get rid of all types of microbes and their spores. Sterilization times may range from four to 30 minutes, depending on whether instruments are wrapped or unwrapped.
The global dental autoclave market was valued at US$ 284.4 Mn in 2021 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 352.6 Mn by 2028 at a CAGR of 3.1% between 2022 and 2028.
North America held dominant position in the global dental autoclave market in 2020, accounting for 38.5% share in terms of volume, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1. Global Dental Autoclave Market Share (%), by Region, 2021
In March 2021, W&H Dentalwerk launched Lyla, an S-type autoclave, which is future-proof and best-performing for safe reprocessing and infection prevention. It also includes a feature to upgrade from S to B type autoclave.
In November 2020, Getinge announced the acquisition of Quadralene, a global manufacturer of, and expert in, decontamination products, such as detergents and disinfectants for the health care and dental sector.
In June 2018, Beyes Dental Canada launched the highly advanced Masteri Class B automatic cycle autoclave unit. The Masteri is available in 18- and 23-liter chamber sizes and is built to withstand the toughest environments and high-volume demands. It also incorporates a pre-vac mode, which is designed to remove air from the chamber to ensure optimal steam penetration, as well as a post-vac mode for removing air from the chamber for ultra-fast drying.
Dental Autoclave Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2021:
||US$ 284.4 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2020
||2022 to 2028
|Forecast Period 2022 to 2028 CAGR:
||2028 Value Projection:
||US$ 352.6 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Product Type: Semi-Automatic, Automatic, and Manual
- By End User: Hospitals and Clinics and Other End Users
- By Geography: North America, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of the World
Coltene Holding, Mocom, Dentsply Sirona, Euronda, W&H Dentalwerk, Midmark Corporation, Getinge AB, Tuttnauer, Shinva Medical Instrument Co. Ltd., and MELAG Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG, among others
- Increasing incidences of dental disorders
- Government initiatives toward hygiene policy and sanitization
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High cost of dental autoclave
- Lack of awareness about dental hygiene
- Increasing incidences of dental disorders is expected to augment growth of the global dental autoclave market during the forecast period. Poor oral hygiene can cause problems ranging from cavities and tooth sensitivity to advanced dental disorders. For instance, as per the World Health Organization (WHO), dental disorders are among the most common chronic diseases; affect around 3.5 billion people worldwide. Severe periodontal diseases are estimated to affect around 14% of the global adult population, more than one billion cases worldwide.
- Government initiatives toward hygiene policy and sanitization is expected to propel growth of the global dental autoclave market over the forecast period. For instance, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW), the Government of India, envisaged the National Oral Health Program (NOHP) for an affordable, accessible, and equitable oral health care delivery in well- coordinated manner for bringing about “optimal oral health” for all. The aim of the NOHP is to provide infrastructure and to enhance oral health services for the general public.
Figure 2. Global Dental Autoclave Market Share (%), by Modality, 2021
- High cost of dental autoclave is expected to hamper the growth of the global dental autoclave market. Dental autoclaves are known to be costly, makes them less affordable for the healthcare professionals. The price of an autoclave is high due to several factors, such as the size, capacity, accessories, the materials used to build it, and class. However, the cost of autoclave is directly related to the specification and features of the machine, as well as on the brand of the machine, which makes them unaffordable in dental healthcare settings.
- Lack of awareness about dental hygiene in developing countries is expected to hinder growth of the global dental autoclave market. For instance, oral diseases are prevalent worldwide and significantly burden global economies and people's health. In most countries, the prevalence of oral diseases continues to rise, and this is primarily due to lack of awareness among people about dental hygiene and poor access to oral health care services (which leads to people being unaware of the importance of dental hygiene).
- Rising geriatric population worldwide is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global dental autoclave market. Geriatric population is more susceptible to dental disorders. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), around 47.2% of adults aged 30 years and older have some form of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease increases with age, 70.1% of adults 65 years and older have periodontal disease, and worldwide the number of geriatric population is increasing with a rapid pace.
- High demand for dental autoclaves is expected to provide substantial growth opportunities for players in the global dental autoclave market. For instance, in September 2021, Eschmann launched its new Little Sister SES 3020B autoclave, a versatile option for professionals who want to keep at the very cutting-edge of infection control. The new autoclave features a large, 23-litre capacity chamber and can process up to 6kg of instruments. Plus, due to its dedicated long instrument tray, it can process instruments up to 370 mm in length.
Market Trends/Key Takeaways:
- Rise in patient awareness about oral health is expected to boost growth of the global dental autoclave market during the forecast period. For instance, in October 2019, All India Institute of Medical Science in collaboration with the Union Health Ministry launched eDant Seva (the First ever website and mobile application) under the National Oral Health Program to sensitize the importance of maintaining oral health.
- Growing trend of dental tourism is expected to drive growth of the global dental autoclave market during the forecast period. Dental tourism is primarily driven by rising cases of dental abnormalities and growing preference for cosmetic dentistry worldwide. Dental tourism means travelling abroad for economical dental treatment as the cost of treatment is high in one's own country. It is estimated that dental tourism accounts for 42% of medical tourism globally and continues to be on the rise throughout the world.
- Getinge AB
- MELAG Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG
- Midmark Corporation
- W&H Dentalwerk
- Dentsply Sirona
- Coltene Holding
- Shinva Medical Instrument Co. Ltd.
Dental autoclave is a medical device used to clean and sterilize dental equipment. An autoclave is specifically designed to clean the surface with extreme heat, steam, and a highly pressurized environment. Dental sterilizers, also referred to as dental autoclaves, use steam at temperatures reaching 270° F to completely sterilize dental equipment or instruments. They guarantee a safe environment for both dental professionals and patients alike. Autoclave is used to ensure that no bacteria, sediments, and microbes left on the dental equipment. It is the most effective and commonly used method of sterilization in dental practices. Thus, there is an increasing demand for dental autoclaves across the globe.
Increasing adoption of dental autoclaves owing to high prevalence of dental diseases, growing geriatric population, and increasing awareness about oral hygiene is expected to boost growth of the global dental autoclave market during the forecast period. For instance, oral diseases are prevalent worldwide and significantly burden global economies and people's health. Geriatric population is more susceptible to dental disorders. Periodontal disease increases with age, and adults aged 65 years and older are more susceptible periodontal disease.
The world's geriatric population is growing at an unprecedented rate. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), by 2030, 1 in 6 people in the world will be aged 60 years or over, and by 2050, the world’s population of people aged 60 years and older will double (2.1 billion).
Key features of the study:
- This report provides in-depth analysis of the global dental autoclave market, and provides market size (US$ Million) and compound annual growth rate (CAGR %) for the forecast period (2022–2028), considering 2021 as the base year.
- It elucidates potential revenue opportunities across different segments and explains attractive investment proposition matrices for this market.
- This study also provides key insights about market drivers, restraints, opportunities, new product launches or approval, market trends, regional outlook, and competitive strategies adopted by key players.
- It profiles key players in the global dental autoclave market based on the following parameters such as company highlights, products portfolio, key highlights, financial performance, and strategies.
- Key companies covered as a part of this study include W&H Dentalwerk, Dentsply Sirona, Coltene Holding, Mocom, Euronda, Midmark Corporation, Getinge, Tuttnauer, Shinva Medical Instrument Co. Ltd., and MELAG Medizintechnik GmbH & Co. KG, among others.
- Insights from this report would allow marketers and the management authorities of the companies to make informed decisions regarding their future product launches, type up-gradation, market expansion, and marketing tactics.
- The global dental autoclave market report caters to various stakeholders in this industry including investors, suppliers, product manufacturers, distributors, new entrants, and financial analysts.
- Stakeholders would have ease in decision-making through various strategy matrices used in analyzing the global dental autoclave market.
- Global Dental Autoclave Market, By Product Type:
- Global Dental Autoclave Market, By End User:
- Hospitals and Clinics
- Other End Users
- Global Dental Autoclave Market, By Geography:
- North America
- Rest of the World