The global DNA synthesizer market size is projected to reach US$ 15.60 billion by 2030, from US$ 4.30 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 20.2% during the forecast period 2023-2030.
The growth of the DNA synthesizer market is being driven by the increasing demand for DNA synthesis in research and development (R&D), diagnostics, and drug discovery. DNA synthesis is a process of creating DNA molecules from scratch. It is used in a variety of applications, including the development of new drugs, the diagnosis of diseases, and the creation of genetically modified organisms.
The increasing demand for DNA synthesis in R&D is being driven by the growing understanding of the human genome and the development of new gene-editing technologies. DNA synthesis is used to create custom DNA sequences that can be used to study gene function, develop new drugs, and create genetically modified organisms.
DNA Synthesizer Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to dominate the global DNA synthesizer market during the forecast period, with a share of over 35% in 2022. This is due to the presence of a large number of leading DNA synthesizer manufacturers and the high demand for DNA synthesis in the region. The United States is the largest market for DNA synthesizers in North America, followed by Canada.
- Europe is expected to be the second-largest market for DNA synthesizers, with a share of over 25% in 2022. This is due to the presence of a strong research and development (R&D) ecosystem in the region and the high demand for DNA synthesis in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries. Germany, the United Kingdom, and France are the leading markets for DNA synthesizers in Europe.
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing market for DNA synthesizers, with a CAGR of over 15% during the forecast period. This is due to the increasing demand for DNA synthesis in the region's pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, as well as the growing number of research institutions in the region. China, India, and Japan are the leading markets for DNA synthesizers in Asia-Pacific.
Figure 1. Global DNA Synthesizer Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
DNA Synthesizer Market Drivers
- Advancements in Genetic Research: The field of genetic research has experienced significant advancements in recent years. DNA synthesizers play a crucial role in this research by enabling the synthesis of custom DNA sequences. The growing demand for DNA synthesis is driven by the need to study genetic variations, gene expression, and develop new therapeutic modalities such as gene therapies and personalized medicine.
- Increasing Demand for Synthetic Biology: Synthetic biology is an emerging field that combines biology and engineering principles to design and construct new biological parts, devices, and systems. DNA synthesis is a fundamental technology in synthetic biology, allowing scientists to create custom-designed DNA sequences and engineer biological systems. The rising interest in synthetic biology applications, such as biofuels, biopharmaceuticals, and bio-based materials, is fueling the demand for DNA synthesizers.
- Growing Demand for Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS): Next-generation sequencing technologies have revolutionized genomic research by enabling high-throughput sequencing of DNA. DNA synthesizers are used in library preparation for NGS, where short DNA fragments are synthesized and amplified for sequencing. With the increasing adoption of NGS in various fields, including clinical diagnostics, agriculture, and drug discovery, the demand for DNA synthesizers is on the rise.
- Declining Cost of DNA Synthesis: The cost of DNA synthesis has been decreasing steadily over the years, making it more accessible to researchers and scientists. Advancements in synthesis methods, automation, and scale-up processes have contributed to cost reductions. The affordability of DNA synthesizers has expanded their adoption in academic institutions, research laboratories, and biotechnology companies, driving market growth.
DNA Synthesizer Market Opportunities
- Expansion of Personalized Medicine: Personalized medicine, which involves tailoring medical treatments to an individual's genetic makeup, holds great potential for improving patient outcomes. DNA synthesizers play a crucial role in generating custom DNA sequences for diagnostic tests, targeted therapies, and patient profiling. As personalized medicine gains wider adoption and becomes an integral part of healthcare, the demand for DNA synthesizers is expected to increase.
- Rise of CRISPR Technology: The development and widespread adoption of CRISPR-Cas9 gene editing technology have revolutionized the field of genetic engineering. DNA synthesizers are essential for generating DNA templates and donor sequences required for CRISPR experiments. With the increasing application of CRISPR technology in research, therapeutics, and agriculture, the demand for DNA synthesizers is likely to grow.
- Emergence of DNA Data Storage: DNA has emerged as a potential data storage medium due to its high density and long-term stability. DNA synthesizers are used to encode digital information into DNA sequences. As the demand for data storage continues to grow exponentially, exploring DNA-based data storage presents a significant opportunity for DNA synthesizer manufacturers.
- Growing Adoption of Gene Therapies: Gene therapies hold immense promise for treating genetic disorders and certain types of cancers. DNA synthesizers are instrumental in the production of therapeutic DNA constructs and viral vectors used in gene therapy approaches. As gene therapies advance and become more mainstream, there will be an increased need for DNA synthesizers to support their development and manufacturing.
DNA Synthesizer Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 4.30 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2017 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 15.60 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Product Type: Benchtop DNA Synthesizers, Industrial DNA Synthesizers, Portable DNA Synthesizers
- By End User: Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Companies, Academic and Research Institutions, Contract Research Organizations (CROs), Forensic Laboratories, Others (government organizations, diagnostic laboratories, agriculture companies)
- By Application: Gene Synthesis, Oligonucleotide Synthesis, Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) Library Preparation, Drug Development, Others (DNA labeling, aptamer synthesis, synthetic biology)
- By Synthesis Scale: Small-Scale DNA Synthesis, Medium-Scale DNA Synthesis, Large-Scale DNA Synthesis
Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck KGaA, Agilent Technologies, Danaher Corporation (Integrated DNA Technologies), GenScript Biotech Corporation, Eurofins Genomics, LGC Limited, BioAutomation Corporation, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Twist Bioscience Corporation, Hamilton Company, Expedeon AG, New England Biolabs, Nippon Genetics, LGC Biosearch Technologies
- Advancements in Genetic Research
- Increasing Demand for Synthetic Biology
- Growing Demand for Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Declining Cost of DNA Synthesis
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Cost of Instruments and Consumables
- Technical Complexity and Expertise Requirements
- Limitations in Sequence Length and Complexity
- Quality Control and Error Rates
DNA Synthesizer Market Trends
- Increasing Demand for High-Throughput Synthesis: There is a growing need for DNA synthesizers that can perform high-throughput synthesis, allowing researchers to rapidly generate large quantities of custom DNA sequences. High-throughput synthesis enables applications such as library preparation for next-generation sequencing, large-scale gene assembly, and screening of DNA-based libraries for drug discovery. DNA synthesizer manufacturers are focusing on improving synthesis speed and scalability to meet this demand.
- Advancements in Miniaturization and Portability: There is a trend towards miniaturization and portability of DNA synthesizers. Compact and portable DNA synthesizers offer advantages such as increased flexibility, on-demand synthesis capabilities, and field-based applications. These portable systems are particularly useful in point-of-care diagnostics, field research, and resource-limited settings where access to a fully equipped laboratory may be limited.
- Integration of Automation and Robotics: Automation and robotics technologies are being integrated into DNA synthesizers to streamline workflows and enhance efficiency. Automated systems can perform tasks such as reagent dispensing, mixing, and purification, reducing manual labor and minimizing human error. The integration of DNA synthesizers with robotic platforms enables high-throughput synthesis and improves reproducibility, making them ideal for large-scale research and industrial applications.
- Adoption of Advanced Synthesis Methods: DNA synthesizers are utilizing advanced synthesis methods to improve the efficiency and accuracy of DNA synthesis. Enzymatic synthesis, which uses enzymes instead of traditional chemical methods, offers benefits such as higher fidelity and the ability to incorporate modified nucleotides. Photochemical synthesis, where light is used to activate nucleotide coupling, enables precise control over the synthesis process. These advanced synthesis methods are gaining traction in the DNA synthesizer market.
DNA Synthesizer Market Restraints
- Cost of Instruments and Consumables: DNA synthesizers and associated consumables can be expensive, particularly for advanced models and high-throughput applications. The initial investment required to purchase DNA synthesizers, as well as the ongoing costs of reagents and cartridges, can pose a barrier to adoption, especially for smaller research laboratories and institutions with limited budgets.
- Technical Complexity and Expertise Requirements: Operating DNA synthesizers and designing custom DNA sequences often require technical expertise and specialized training. The complexity of the instruments and the synthesis process can be challenging for researchers who are new to the field of DNA synthesis. This technical barrier may limit the widespread adoption of DNA synthesizers in certain settings.
- Limitations in Sequence Length and Complexity: DNA synthesizers have inherent limitations in terms of the maximum sequence length and complexity they can handle. Synthesizing long DNA sequences or sequences with complex structures, such as repetitive regions or secondary structures, can be challenging. These limitations can restrict the range of applications and designs that can be achieved using DNA synthesizers.
- Quality Control and Error Rates: DNA synthesis is susceptible to errors, including sequence inaccuracies, incomplete synthesis, and post-synthesis modifications. Quality control measures are crucial to ensure the accuracy and reliability of synthesized DNA sequences. However, the need for rigorous quality control and the occurrence of errors can lead to additional time, costs, and potential setbacks in research and development projects.
New product launches
- SYNTAX System (DNA Script, 2021): The first benchtop nucleic acid printer powered by enzymatic DNA synthesis (EDS) technology.
- ENFINIA DNA (Elegen, 2023): A platform for rapid DNA synthesis of long DNA sequences.
- Kilobaser K100 (Kilobaser, 2022): A benchtop DNA synthesizer that can synthesize DNA sequences up to 100 kb in length.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2017, Twist Bioscience acquired Gen9, a leading provider of DNA synthesis services.
- In 2018, BioMarin Pharmaceutical acquired Sangamo Therapeutics, a company that develops gene editing therapies.
- In 2019, Thermo Fisher Scientific acquired Life Technologies, a leading provider of DNA synthesis reagents and instruments.
- In 2020, New England Biolabs acquired IDT, a leading provider of DNA synthesis services.
Figure 2. Global DNA Synthesizer Market Share (%), by product type, 2023
Top companies in DNA Synthesizer Market
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Merck KGaA
- Agilent Technologies
- Danaher Corporation (Integrated DNA Technologies)
- GenScript Biotech Corporation
- Eurofins Genomics
- LGC Limited
- BioAutomation Corporation
- Bio-Rad Laboratories
- Twist Bioscience Corporation
- Hamilton Company
- Expedeon AG
- New England Biolabs
- Nippon Genetics
- LGC Biosearch Technologies
Definition: The DNA synthesizer market refers to the industry involved in the manufacturing and sale of instruments and equipment used for synthesizing DNA molecules. DNA synthesizers enable the automated production of custom DNA sequences, which find applications in various fields such as biotechnology, genetic engineering, drug discovery, diagnostics, and synthetic biology. These synthesizers are designed to accurately assemble nucleotides to create specific DNA sequences, facilitating research and development in molecular biology and genetic manipulation.