Friction modifier additives are additives that are widely used in the engine oil to reduce friction. They are also known as boundary lubrication additives and also reduce the emissions. Natural and synthetic fatty acids, esters, molybdenum disulfide and graphite are some of the major raw materials used in the manufacturing of the friction modifier additives
The global metal & metal oxide nanoparticles market is projected to reach around US$ 2,142.4 million by the end of 2027, in terms of revenue, growing at CAGR of 7.0% during the forecast period (2020-2027).
Rising demand for organic friction modifier additives is expected to drive the market growth. Multiple properties of the friction modifier additives such as increase the lubricity and smoothen the transition from one speed to another are further expected to raise its demand. Moreover, the growing demand for Polymeric Friction Modifiers (PFMs) from the automotive industry is again anticipated to augment the market growth of the friction modifier additives.
Figure 1. Global Friction Modifier Additives Market Share (%) in terms of Value, By Region, in 2019
Asia Pacific region dominated the global friction modifier additives market in 2019, accounting for 32.7% share in terms of value, followed by Europe and North America, respectively.
Availability of low-cost alternative of friction modifier additives such as detergent additives, extreme-pressure, dispersant additives, and corrosion inhibitor are expected to hinder the market growth. Also, the decline in the oil price is again expected to restrict the market growth of friction modifier additives.
Decline in use of automotive lubricant additives due to increasing use of fuel cells on the account of advancement in the technology is expected to hamper the market growth. This is a major restraint for the market growth as engine oil accounts for approximately 85% of the lubricant used in automotive applications. However, automobiles that are powered by fuel cells do not require engine oil.
Friction Modifier Additives Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 1,249.5 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 2,142.4 Mn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Africa
- By Application: Automotive Lubricant, Industrial Lubricant, Aviation Lubricants, Power Generation Lubricants, and Rail Lubricants.
Chemtura Corp., Afton Chemicals Corp., Multisol, Wynn’s, Archoil, and Whitmore
- Rising demand for organic friction modifier additives
- Increasing demand for molybdenum containing engine oil
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Decline in use of automotive lubricant additives
Growing adoption of dual-clutch transmissions, a passenger car that is popular across Western Europe, China, and the U.S. is expected to serve major growth opportunities to the market of friction modifier additives. These additives offer sophisticated frictional properties to the dual-clutch. Moreover, it also provides protection to the gear components and synchronized performance. Thus growing use of friction modifier additives in the dual-clutch transmissions is expected to augment the market growth.
Rising demand for an optimized fuel economy to reduce the friction in a thin layer and mixed lubrication conditions is expected to offer enormous opportunities to the market. Friction modifier additives contribute to fuel efficiency by offering shear thinning. Shear-thinning provides economic benefits, especially in mixed lubrication operations. Therefore, the growing demand for optimized fuel economy will favor the market growth
Figure 2. Global Friction Modifier Additives Market– Opportunity Analysis
Increasing demand for friction modifier additives in aviation lubricants especially for the gas turbine in aircraft is expected to foster the market growth. It ensures the maximum power output and cleanliness of modern transmissions engines. Moreover, growing demand for industrial lubricants in applications such as transformers, tanks, and gearboxes is expected to bolster the market growth of the friction modifier additives over the forecast period.
Partnership and collaborations by key manufacturers in the lubricants and additives market is a major trend. For instance, in March 2020, Red Line Synthetic Oil, a supplier of synthetic lubricants and additives, announced its new partnership with professional drag racing organization, Lex Joon Racing.
Figure 3. Global Friction Modifier Additives Market Share (%) in terms of Value, By Application, in 2019
On the basis of application in 2019, the automotive lubricants segment has accounted the largest market share of 45.6% in terms of value, followed by industrial lubricants and aviation lubricants segment respectively.
International Lubricants Standardization and Approval Committee are formed by AAMA (American Automobile Manufacturers Association, representatives of DaimlerChrysler Corporation, Ford Motor Company, and General Motors Corporation) and JAMA (Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association). The three new engine oil specifications are
- With passenger car motor oils (PCMOs), the new specification is called GF-6 which has two categories; GF-6A and GF-6B. GF-6A will cover existing oil grades while GF-6B will cover new grades with viscosities lower than 0W-20. For GF-6 the first license date is March 2018
- The second engine oil specification is called PC-11 which is for heavy-duty engine oils (HDEOs). Its two categories are PC-11A and PC-11B. PC-11A will be compatible with the current HDEO category and have a high-temperature high shear (HTHS) of a minimum of 3.5. PC-11B is for new lower viscosity engine oils with an average HTHS of 2.9-3.2. PC-11 specification is expected to be implemented in March 2018
- The third engine oil specification is the second generation GM specification called dexos1 which is due to be implemented in September 2016
Global Friction Modifier Additives Market - Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
Due to the pandemic, lubricant industry have seen a significant impact, considering slowdown in transportation and industrial activity. Number of lubricant companies have postponed resumption of production owing to lower demand from end-users. According to Coherent Market Insights, demand for lubricants is expected to be on lower side in first half of 2020. Lockdown in several countries around the globe has resulted in a severe reduction in use of passenger cars which has impacted the demand for lubricants. The lower demand for lubricant is expected to impact market growth of friction modifier additives. According to Coherent Market Insights, friction modifier additives is expected to grow at a lower CAGR between 2020 and 2021.
- Chemtura Corp.
- Afton Chemicals Corp.