The global pelargonic acid market was valued at US$ 185.4 Mn in 2022, and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 6.7% over the forecast period (2023-2030) to reach US$ 310.5 Mn by 2030.
Global Pelargonic Acid Market - Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
COVID-19 had a significant impact on the global pelargonic acid market. The imposition of lockdown across major countries, including China, the U.S., Italy, and India, has led to disruption in the supply chain across the globe. Furthermore, stringent containment measures imposed by the governments of various countries and preventive measures to control the impact of the Coronavirus outbreak have led to a significant restriction on transportation, leading to supply chain disruptions across the economies. Bio pesticides, such as pelargonic acid, find its applications in the production of herbicides, specialty chemicals, lubricants, food additives, and others across several industrial sectors.
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Drivers
- Demand for pelargonic acid form the cosmetic industry: The cosmetic and personal care industry's requirement for pelargonic acid is increasing due to the wide application of pelargonic acid in the formulation of skin and hair conditioning agents. Pelargonic acid is also being used in agriculture as an alternative to toxic chemicals, with the goal of improving bio-based herbicides to reduce the health risks connected with synthetic herbicides. Pelargonic acid is also utilized in cleaning products as a precursor to peroxynonanoic acid. Bleaching and antibacterial properties are provided by peroxycarboxylic acids (such as in sanitization, disinfection, and sterilization). Several major companies are investing in research and development projects to enhance the use of pelargonic aid; as a result, increased R&D (Research and Development) and expanding applications in the food and agriculture industries are expected to drive market growth. For instance, in September 2020, Glentham Life Sciences Limited is a leading supplier and manufacturer of fine chemicals, raw materials, reagents and life science products has acquired a 22,000-square-foot facility in Corsham, U.K., to expand its product portfolio. The company is expanding its present laboratory and storage facilities as well as investing in new equipment and infrastructure.
- Increasing product launches by key players to fulfil global demands: Several key players are engaging in research and development to improve and provide innovative pelargonic products to the market. One of the emerging trends is the rising utilization of pelargonic acid as a detergent. Pelargonic acid is also used as a precursor to peroxynonanoic acid in cleaning products. Peroxycarboxylic acids are used as bleaching agents and for antimicrobial activity (such as sanitization, disinfection, and sterilization). Thus, pelargonic acid has applications in industrial detergents, water purification, and microbial activity management in public places (malls and others). In 2020, Eurofins Scientific launched a new allergen testing service called the Eurofins Allergen Control Program. The program is designed to help food manufacturers identify and manage allergen risks in their products and facilities.
Pelargonic Acid Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2022:
||US$ 185.4 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 to 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 310.5 Mn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: South Africa, GCC Countries, Rest of Middle East & Africa
- By Grade: Natural Grade, Synthetic Grade
- By Application: Detergents, Lubricants, Lacquer & Coatings, Herbicide, Food Additives, Others (Personal Care & Cosmetics, and Others)
Central Drug House, Croda International Plc., Emery Oleochemicals, Glentham Life Sciences Limited, Haihang Industry, Kunshan Odowell Co., Ltd, Matrica S.p.A, OQ Chemicals GmbH, Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd., and Zhengzhou Yibang Industry & Commerce Co., Ltd.
- Demand for pelargonic acid form the cosmetic industry
- Increasing product launches by key players to fulfil global demands
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Limited application and the use of alternatives of pelargonic acid
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Restraints
- Limited application and the use of alternatives of pelargonic acid: During the forecast period, pelargonic acid market expansion is expected to be hampered by limited application and the use of alternatives to pelargonic acid. Pelargonic acid herbicides have the potential to harm organisms and human health in both direct and indirect ways. For animals exposed to pelargonic acid herbicides, the biological effects of these compounds include genetic damage and a variety of physiological alterations. This overuse of pelargonic acid herbicides has resulted in major issues, including potential damage to non-target plants and crops, herbicide residues in the water and soil, and concerns regarding human health and safety. All of these factors restrict the expansion of the global pelargonic acid market.
- Counterbalance: The use of non-chemical management methods in the lawn or garden, like hand weeding, mulching, or setting traps, to reduce chemical use outdoors will help reduce the harmful effects of pelargonic acid.
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Trends
- Rising demand for bio-based products: Pelargonic acid is a naturally occurring fatty acid and is considered a bio-based product. The rising demand for bio-based products in various industries, including agriculture and cosmetics, is expected to drive the demand for pelargonic acid in the coming years.
- Growing focus on sustainability: The global trend towards sustainability is expected to drive the demand for pelargonic acid in the coming years. Pelargonic acid is considered a sustainable alternative to traditional chemicals and is expected to play a key role in the development of sustainable products and solutions.
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Opportunities
- Increasing demand for bio-based products: The rising demand for bio-based products in various industries, including agriculture, cosmetics, and personal care, presents a significant opportunity for growth in the pelargonic acid market. Pelargonic acid is a naturally occurring fatty acid and is considered a bio-based product, making it an attractive option for companies looking to develop sustainable products.
- Growing demand for lubricants and plasticizers: Pelargonic acid is also used in the production of lubricants and plasticizers, which are used in various industries, including automotive and construction. The growing demand for these products presents an opportunity for growth in the pelargonic acid market.
Figure 1. Global Pelargonic Acid Market, By Application, 2022
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Regional Analysis
Asia Pacific dominated the global pelargonic acid market in 2022, accounting for 35% share, in terms of revenue, followed by Europe, and North America, respectively. As a result of an increase in the demand for bio-based products in the agriculture industry, as well as product innovation. There has been increasing demand for lacquer & coatings in the construction sector, which is expected to drive demand for pelargonic acid. Lacquers are clear or colored coatings that provide a glossy finish to furniture and fixture surfaces. They are available with different sheen levels, ranging from high gloss to ultra-matte. It offers extremely hard finishes and is highly resistant to damage, particularly from acid, alkali, water, and abrasions. Coatings are used in general industry to protect the coated structure from corrosion, UV radiation, wear and tear, and to enhance the efficiency of the coated substance.
Figure 2. Global Pelargonic Acid Market, By Region, 2022
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Recent Developments
- In July 2021, Lely North America, Inc., an agricultural solutions provider company, launched Quaress Omnia, a teat spray for protecting cows from mastitis. This spray contains pelargonic acid, which is known for its antimicrobial properties and can help to prevent the growth of bacteria on the teats of cows.
- In 2020, the global chemical company Evonik announced the launch of a new pelargonic acid-based lubricant called VISCOPLEX® 8-912. The lubricant is designed for use in metalworking applications and can provide improved performance and reduced environmental impact compared to traditional lubricants.
- In 2020, the global chemical company Oxiteno announced the launch of a new pelargonic acid-based surfactant called OXITENOX® 18. The surfactant is designed for use in personal care and household cleaning products and can provide improved foaming and cleaning performance compared to traditional surfactants
Key players operating in the global pelargonic acid market include Central Drug House, Croda International Plc., Emery Oleochemicals, Glentham Life Sciences Limited, Haihang Industry, Kunshan Odowell Co., Ltd, Matrica S.p.A, OQ Chemicals GmbH, Tokyo Chemical Industry Co., Ltd., and Zhengzhou Yibang Industry & Commerce Co., Ltd.
Global Pelargonic Acid Market: Key Development
In 2021, the global chemical company BASF announced the launch of a new pelargonic acid-based herbicide called Luximo. The herbicide is designed to control a wide range of weeds in various crops, including cereals, oilseed rape, and vegetables. Luximo is a selective herbicide that targets broadleaf weeds and can be used in both pre- and post-emergence applications.
*Definition: Pelargonic acid is a saturated, nine-carbon fatty acid found naturally as esters in the essential oil of pelargonium spp (perennial plants). It can also be extracted from plant tissues. Pelargonic acid, in combination with its salts and emulsifiers, is a nonselective herbicide that can be used in the garden or in agriculture across the world. They're utilized as contact burn down herbicides, which attack cell membranes, causing cell leakage and membrane acyl lipid breakdown in the process. Pelargonic acid is also used in the cosmetic industry to make esters, which are used in cosmetic and personal care products.