Scar revision is a procedure that is used to minimize the scars in a way that they appear more consistent with the surrounding skin tone and texture. Scars are visible signs that remain after a wound heals. They are unavoidable results of injury or surgery, and their development can be unpredictable.
The global scar treatment market is estimated to account for US$ 14,132.8 Mn in terms of value by the end of 2027.
Global Scar Treatment Market: Drivers
Increasing incidents of burns is expected to boost growth of global scar treatment market over the forecast period. For instance, in February 2019, a study published in the journal Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine reported that 13,205 burn patients were admitted to the Burn Research Institute of Southwest Hospital of the Army Medical University, China during 2009-2016.
Moreover, increasing number of surgeries is also expected to boost growth of the global scar treatment market. For instance, according to Australian Institute of Health and Welfare’s Hospitals at a glance 2017–18 report updated in August 2019, admissions for emergency surgery increased between 2016-2017 and 2017-2018 by 2.9% in public hospitals and by 5.1% in private hospitals in Australia.
North America held dominant position in the global scar treatment market in 2019, accounting for 36.0% share in terms of value, followed by Europe and Asia Pacific, respectively.
Figure 1: Global Scar Treatment Market Share (%) Value, By Region, 2019
Global Scar Treatment Market: Restraints
High cost of laser treatment is expected to hamper growth of global scar treatment market over the forecast period. For instance, according to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the average cost for laser skin resurfacing, which includes scar treatment, is US$ 2,071 for an ablative laser, whereas the average price for non-ablative laser treatment is US$ 1,144.
Moreover, scar treatment can lead to several complications, which is also expected to hinder growth of global scar treatment market. Wrong dosage or medication can lead to complications such as skin infections, redness, itching, and pain.
Scar Treatment Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 10,390.6 Mn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 14,132.8 Mn
- North America: U.S., Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., France, Spain, Italy, Russia, Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, Japan, India, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, Rest of Middle East
- Africa: North Africa, Central Africa, South Africa
- By Product Type:
- Topical Scar Product: Gels, Creams, Oils, Sheets.
- Laser: CO2 Laser, Excimer Laser, Pulsed Dye Laser.
- Surface Treatment, Injectable.
- By Type of Scar:
- Atrophic scars: Acne, Trauma and Surgery.
- Hypertrophic Scars and Keloids, Contractures, Stretch Marks.
- By End User: Hospitals, Clinics, Pharmacies and Drug Stores, E-Commerce.
Smith & Nephew Inc., Merz Inc., Enaltus LLC, Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc., CCA Industries, Janssen Biotech, Inc. Avita Medical, Lutronics,, Luminus Inc., Syneron Medical Ltd., NutraMarks, Inc., Cynosure, Inc., Mölnlycke Health Care, Ostar Beauty Sci-Tech Co., Ltd., Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Suneva Medical, Inc., Sonoma Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Beijing Toplaser Technology Co., Ltd., Merz Pharma, and Luca Pharmaceuticals
- Increasing incidents of burns injury incidence
- Approval and launch of new products
|Restraints & Challenges:
Global Scar Treatment Market: Opportunities
R&D in scar treatment is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global scar treatment market. For instance, in August 2019, researchers from Naval Medical University, China, reported that use of minced split-thickness skin grafts with Pelnac as an overlay can be effective in reconstruction of full-thickness skin defects.
Moreover, adoption of stem cells in the treatment of scars is also expected to aid in growth of the market. For instance, in March 2019, Maternal and Child Health Hospital of Foshan completed a study that assessed the efficacy and safety of perinatal tissue mesenchyme stem cells in the treatment for caesarean section scars.
The global scar treatment market was valued at US$ 10,390.6 Mn in 2019 and is forecast to reach a value of US$ 14,132.8 Mn by 2027 at a CAGR of 3.9% between 2020 and 2027.
Figure 2: Global Scar Treatment Market Value (US$ Mn), 2016 – 2027
Market Trends/Key Takeaways
Major players in the global scar treatment market are focused on R&D to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in June 2019, AVITA Medical, a regenerative medicine company, announced new preliminary RECELL Autologous Cell Harvesting Device (RECELL System) data at the 24th annual World Congress of Dermatology Meeting. The RECELL system is used in the treatment of vitiligo and facial acne scars.
R&D in scar treatment is expected to boost growth of the global scar treatment market. For instance, in December 2019, in the journal Cell Reports, researchers from the University of California Los Angeles reported development of accurate model of organ scarring using stem cells in a lab.
- As stated by FDA, silicon sheeting for scar management is classified as class 1 device, which is considered the safest classification and does not require prescription and certification outside the U.S.
- The device is exempt from the premarket notification procedures
- Scar sheets are subject to general controls such as good manufacturing techniques, manufacturer’s registration with the FDA, proper branding and labelling, and general reporting procedures
- According to FDA, in case of lasers, the manufacturers of electronic radiation emitting products that are sold in the U.S. are expected to comply to the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act (FFDCA), Chapter V, Subchapter C - Electronic Product Radiation Control guidelines
Figure 3: Value Chain Analysis
Global Scar Treatment Market: Competitive Landscape
Major players operating in the global scar treatment market include, Smith & Nephew Inc., Merz Inc., Enaltus LLC, Oculus Innovative Sciences, Inc., CCA Industries, Avita Medical, Lutronics, Janssen Biotech, Inc., Luminus Inc., Syneron Medical Ltd., NutraMarks, Inc., Cynosure, Inc., Mölnlycke Health Care, Ostar Beauty Sci-Tech Co., Ltd., Shanghai Fosun Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd., Suneva Medical, Inc., Sonoma Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Beijing Toplaser Technology Co., Ltd., Merz Pharma, and Luca Pharmaceuticals.
Global Scar Treatment Market: Key Developments
Major players in the global scar treatment market are focused on adopting M&A strategies to expand their product portfolio. For instance, in December 2019, Janssen Biotech, Inc. entered a definitive agreement to acquire all rights to the investigational compound bermekimab – an anti-IL-1alpha monoclonal antibody for the treatment of atopic dermatitis and hidradenitis suppurativa— from XBiotech Inc.
Major players in the market are also focused on R&D to expand their product portfolio. For instance, HTC Corporation’s HTC VIVE, a VR system, is under clinical trial for assessing the effect of virtual reality technology on decreasing the acute pain of scar treatment with fractional laser under local anesthesia. The study is expected to be completed in December 2020.