Somatropin is a recombinant human growth hormone indicated for the treatment of growth hormone deficiency in children and adults, as well as Turner syndrome, Prader-Willi syndrome, Chronic Renal Insufficiency (chronic kidney disorder), and others. Somatropin stimulates linear growth (height), tissue growth, and lipid, protein, carbohydrate, and mineral metabolism.
The global somatropin market is estimated to be valued at US$ 5.02 billion in 2020 and is expected to exhibit a CAGR of 7.9% during the forecast period (2020-2027).
Figure 1. Global Somatropin Market Share (%) in Terms of Value, By Region, 2019
The increasing prevalence of growth hormone deficiency is expected to propel the market growth during the forecast period.
The increasing prevalence of growth hormone deficiency is expected to drive the global somatropin market growth during the forecast period. According to an article published in the Springer Nature journal in February 2017, the prevalence of growth hormone deficiency in children is within the range 1.8 to 2.9 per 10,000 in Europe and the U.S.
Figure 2. Global Somatropin Market Share (%), by Distribution Channel, 2020
Increasing approvals of somatropin products by regulatory authorities is expected to drive the market growth during the forecast period
Approvals of various somatropin products by regulatory authorities such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are expected to drive the market growth during the forecast period. For instance, in July 2018, Ferring Pharmaceuticals Inc. received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for ZOMACTON, a somatropin injection, for the following additional pediatric indications:
- Short stature due to Turner syndrome
- Growth failure in short stature homeobox-containing gene (SHOX) deficiency
- Idiopathic short stature (ISS)
- Short stature born small for gestational age (SGA) with no catch-up growth by 2 to 4 years
Global Somatropin Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2019:
||US$ 5.02 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2016 to 2019
||2020 to 2027
|Forecast Period 2020 to 2027 CAGR:
||2027 Value Projection:
||US$ 8.56 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East: GCC Countries, Israel, and Rest of Middle East
- Africa: South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa
- By Dosage Form: Powder, Solvent.
- By Application: Growth Hormone Deficiency (GHD), Turner Syndrome, Chronic Renal Insufficiency, Prader Willi Syndrome, Small for Gestational Age, SHOX Deficiency, Others.
- By Distribution Channel: Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies.
Novo Nordisk A/S, Pfizer, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, GeneScience Pharmaceuticals, Sandoz International, Ipsen Inc., LG Life Sciences, Merck KGaA, F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and Ferring Pharmaceuticals
- The increasing prevalence of growth hormone deficiency
- Approvals by regulatory authorities
|Restraints & Challenges:
- Development of alternate treatments
Global Somatropin Market – Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting clinical trials drastically. According to a survey conducted by Medidata Solutions, Inc. (an American technology company which develops and markets software as a service for clinical trials), on April 23, 2020, 63% of survey respondents reported that they have stopped recruiting new patients for ongoing clinical trials and 43% of the respondents have postponed their studies.
Furthermore, ongoing clinical trials need to be conducted by healthcare facilities and researchers by adhering to the following safety measures:
- Healthcare providers are obtaining patient consents through phone or video conferences. According to a survey conducted by Medidata Solutions, Inc., on April 23, 2020, 45% of the respondents opted for virtual/telemedicine for consultancy.
- The patients receive a phone call for the screening of COVID-19 symptoms before the scheduled in-person visits.
- Assessments of the studies are being done in single outpatient areas.
Global Somatropin Market: Restraint
Key players are focused on developing advanced alternative treatments for growth hormone deficiency, which is expected to hinder growth of the Europe somatropin market. For instance, in October 2019, OPKO Health Inc. and Pfizer Inc. announced the results of phase 3 clinical trial, which was initiated to evaluate the safety and efficacy of somatrogen, a long-acting human growth hormone (hGH) molecule administered once in a week in pre-pubertal children with growth hormone deficiency (GHD).
Major players operating in global somatropin market are Novo Nordisk A/S, Pfizer, Inc., Eli Lilly and Company, GeneScience Pharmaceuticals, Sandoz International, Ipsen Inc., LG Life Sciences, Merck KGaA, F. Hoffmann-La Roche, Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., and Ferring Pharmaceuticals.