The global steam coil market size is projected to reach US$ 11.97 billion by 2030, from US$ 8.23 billion in 2023, at a CAGR of 5.5% during 2023-2030. The growth of the market is driven by the increasing demand for steam coils in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical, and power generation industries.
Steam coils are used in a variety of applications, including heating, humidification, and sterilization. They are made of a variety of materials, including stainless steel, copper, and aluminum. The type of material used depends on the application and the operating conditions.
The food and beverage industry is one of the major end-users of steam coils. Steam coils are used in a variety of applications in the food and beverage industry, including cooking, pasteurization, and sterilization. The increasing demand for processed foods is driving the growth of the steam coil market in the food and beverage industry.
Steam Coil Market Regional Insights
- North America is expected to account for the largest share of the steam coil market in 2023, followed by Asia Pacific and Europe. The growth of the steam coil market in North America is driven by the increasing demand for steam coils in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical, and power generation industries.
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest-growing region for the steam coil market during the forecast period. The growth of the steam coil market in Asia Pacific is driven by the increasing demand for steam coils in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical, and textile industries.
- Europe is expected to be the third-largest market for steam coils during the forecast period. The growth of the steam coil market in Europe is driven by the increasing demand for steam coils in the food and beverage, pharmaceutical, and power generation industries.
Figure 1. Global Steam Coil Market Share (%), by Region, 2023
Steam Coil Market Drivers
- Industrial Expansion: The expansion of various industries, such as oil and gas, chemical, power generation, food processing, and HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), drives the demand for steam coils. These industries require effective heat transfer systems for their processes, leading to increased adoption of steam coils.
- Energy Efficiency: Steam coils are known for their energy-efficient heating capabilities. As industries and commercial buildings strive to reduce energy consumption and optimize operational costs, steam coils are preferred for their ability to transfer heat efficiently. The demand for energy-efficient solutions acts as a driver for the steam coil market.
- Retrofitting and Upgradation: In many cases, existing heating systems need to be retrofitted or upgraded to enhance their efficiency or meet regulatory standards. Steam coils provide a cost-effective solution for retrofitting and upgrading heating systems, which drives the demand for steam coils in the market.
- Growing Construction Industry: The construction industry plays a significant role in driving the demand for steam coils, especially in the commercial and residential sectors. As construction activities increase, there is a need for effective heating solutions, and steam coils find extensive applications in heating systems for buildings.
Steam Coil Market Opportunities
- Increasing Focus on Renewable Energy: With the growing emphasis on renewable energy sources, there is an opportunity for steam coils to be integrated into renewable energy systems. For example, steam coils can be utilized in biomass boilers or solar thermal systems to enhance heat transfer and efficiency. The integration of steam coils with renewable energy technologies can help optimize energy utilization and reduce carbon emissions.
- Rising Demand for Heat Recovery: Heat recovery systems capture waste heat from industrial processes and utilize it for other heating purposes. Steam coils can play a crucial role in heat recovery applications by efficiently transferring the captured heat to the desired medium. The increasing focus on energy conservation and sustainability creates opportunities for steam coils to be integrated into heat recovery systems across industries.
- Growing Adoption of Combined Heat and Power (CHP) Systems: Combined Heat and Power systems, also known as cogeneration systems, generate both electricity and usable heat simultaneously. Steam coils can be employed in CHP systems to extract and utilize heat produced during electricity generation. The rising demand for CHP systems in commercial buildings, industrial facilities, and district heating projects presents opportunities for steam coil manufacturers.
- Expansion of the Food Processing Industry: The food processing industry requires efficient and hygienic heating solutions for various processes, such as cooking, drying, and sterilization. Steam coils offer precise temperature control and are suitable for food processing applications. As the food processing industry expands globally, there is an opportunity for steam coil manufacturers to cater to the specific heating needs of this sector.
Steam Coil Market Report Coverage
||Market Size in 2023:
||US$ 8.23 Bn
|Historical Data for:
||2018 to 2021
||2023 - 2030
|Forecast Period 2023 to 2030 CAGR:
||2030 Value Projection:
||US$ 11.97 Bn
- North America: U.S. and Canada
- Latin America: Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, and Rest of Latin America
- Europe: Germany, U.K., Spain, France, Italy, Russia, and Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific: China, India, Japan, Australia, South Korea, ASEAN, and Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa: GCC Countries, Israel, South Africa, North Africa, and Central Africa and Rest of Middle East
- By Geographic Segmentation: Region, Country, Climate
- By Demographic Segmentation: Industry, Company Size, End Users
- By Psychographic Segmentation: Customer Preferences, Technological Awareness
- By Behavioral Segmentation: Usage Patterns, Purchase Decision Criteria
Thermax Limited, Armstrong International Inc., Stork Thermeq B.V., Alfa Laval AB, and Kelvion Holding GmbH.
- Industrial Expansion
- Energy Efficiency
- Retrofitting and Upgradation
- Growing Construction Industry
|Restraints & Challenges:
- High Initial Cost
- Maintenance and Cleaning Requirements
- Limited Application in Low-Temperature Heating
- Environmental Concerns
Steam Coil Market Trends
- Energy Efficiency and Sustainability: Energy efficiency continues to be a prominent trend in the steam coil market. Industries and commercial buildings are increasingly focused on reducing energy consumption and carbon emissions. Steam coils are being designed with improved heat transfer surfaces, advanced materials, and enhanced insulation to maximize energy efficiency and promote sustainable heating solutions.
- Customization and Modular Designs: There is a growing demand for customized steam coil solutions that cater to specific industry requirements. Manufacturers are offering modular designs that allow for flexibility in installation and maintenance. Modular steam coils can be easily replaced or reconfigured to adapt to changing heating needs, making them more cost-effective and efficient for end-users.
- Integration of Smart Technologies: The integration of smart technologies, such as IoT (Internet of Things), sensors, and data analytics, is gaining traction in the steam coil market. Smart steam coils can provide real-time performance monitoring, predictive maintenance, and remote control capabilities. This trend enables proactive maintenance, optimization of heat transfer efficiency, and energy management, leading to cost savings and improved operational reliability.
- Advancements in Heat Transfer Surfaces and Materials: The development of advanced heat transfer surfaces and materials is a significant trend in the steam coil market. Innovative surfaces, such as enhanced fins and micro-channel designs, are being used to increase heat transfer rates and improve overall performance. Additionally, the use of corrosion-resistant materials, such as stainless steel and aluminum alloys, enhances the durability and lifespan of steam coils in harsh operating conditions.
Steam Coil Market Restraints
- High Initial Cost: Steam coil systems can involve significant upfront costs, including the purchase and installation of the coils, associated piping, controls, and integration with existing heating systems. The initial investment required for steam coil systems can be a deterrent for some potential buyers, especially for smaller businesses or budget-constrained projects.
- Maintenance and Cleaning Requirements: Steam coils require regular maintenance and cleaning to ensure optimal performance and prevent issues such as fouling and corrosion. Proper maintenance involves periodic inspection, cleaning of fins and tubes, and addressing any potential leaks or damages. The maintenance requirements can add to the operational costs and resources required for steam coil systems.
- Limited Application in Low-Temperature Heating: Steam coils are typically designed for high-temperature heating applications, making them less suitable for low-temperature heating needs. In situations where precise control of lower temperatures is required, alternative heating systems, such as electric resistance heaters or heat pumps, may be more suitable. This limitation restricts the market potential of steam coils in certain applications.
- Environmental Concerns: Steam coils rely on the combustion of fossil fuels to generate steam, which can contribute to greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution. In regions with strict environmental regulations or a focus on renewable energy sources, the environmental impact of steam coil systems can be a restraint. Increasingly stringent environmental standards may push industries to explore cleaner and more sustainable heating alternatives.
New product launches
- Super Radiator Coils launched a new line of high-efficiency steam coils in 2022. These coils are designed to provide superior heat transfer and energy savings.
- Commercial Coils, Inc. launched a new line of compact steam coils in 2023. These coils are ideal for use in small spaces, such as in food processing and HVAC applications.
- Madok Manufacturing Inc. launched a new line of stainless steel steam coils in 2022. These coils are corrosion-resistant and ideal for use in harsh environments.
Acquisition and partnerships
- In 2022, Spirax Sarco acquired Heat Transfer Products, a leading manufacturer of steam coils and heat exchangers.
- In 2021, Johnson Controls acquired York International, a major manufacturer of heating and cooling equipment.
- In 2020, Alfa Laval acquired SPX Flow, a global leader in heat transfer technology.
Figure 2. Global Steam Coil Market Share (%), by Demographic Segmentation, 2023
Top companies in Steam Coil Market
- Alfa Laval
- Colmac Coil Manufacturing
- Armstrong International
- Thermax Limited
- Sterling Thermal Technology
- HRS Heat Exchangers
- United Cooling Systems (UCS)
- Taco Comfort Solutions
- GEA Group
*Definition: The Steam Coil market refers to the industry involved in the manufacturing, distribution, and installation of steam coils, which are heat transfer devices used for heating air or liquids in various industrial processes and applications.