Antistatic coating is an electrically conductive coating designed to reduce or prevent a static-electrical charge and its effects. It is also known as electrostatic dissipative coating.
Moreover, reducing static electricity prevents dust from sticking on the surface of coated substrates easily. Hence, antistatic coating is mostly recommended for interior surfaces of clean rooms, computer room, printing factories, electronic factories, hospitals, pharmaceutical factories, and other factories and locations dealing with inflammable gases or liquids. The anti coating layer can withstand environment elements such as rain, UV light from Sun, wind, and humidity.
- A major driver for growth of the global antistatic coating market is rising construction industry. Antistatic epoxy coating is used on walls and floors of industrial or commercial locations where an anti-static environment is required. Governments of various countries are investing heavily on various construction activities. For instance, the government of Dubai announced awarding of 47 contracts valued at US$ 4.3 billion in January 2017 for Dubai Expo 2020. Furthermore, budget for infrastructure increased by 46.5 % in 2018, as compared to 2017, accounting for 21% of the total government expenditure in Dubai due to Expo 2020.
- However, high cost processes may hamper growth of the global antistatic coating market, as it involves various processes such as surface preparation, mixing, thinning, and curing
- According to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, North America held the dominant position in the global antistatic coating market in 2017. North America is projected to maintain its dominance throughout the forecast period, owing to growing housing and infrastructure sectors (hotels, stadium, and restaurants) and paints and coatings industry.
- In 2015, global construction perspectives and oxford economics together stated that the global construction market is set to grow by US$8 trillion by 2030, reaching a total size of $US17.5 trillion and growing by an average annual rate of 3.9% to 2030.
Key players in Global Antistatic Coatings Market
- Key players operating in the global antistatic coatings market include 3M Company, PPG Industries, Inc., E. I. du Pont de Nemours and Company, Kansai Paint, and RPM International Inc.
On the basis of application, the global antistatic coatings market is segmented into:
On the basis of product type, the global antistatic coatings market is segmented into:
On the basis of region, the global antistatic coatings market is segmented into:
- North America
- South America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East & Africa
- In May 2019, a global leader in Coatings Industry showcased its complete range of coatings at society of information display (SID). PPG also introduced the new AFP (anti finger-print) coatings based on PPG’s proprietary technology.
- In March 2019, Plast Composite Consulting and Heraeus Epurio developed the first antistatic coating in the industry that protects lighting systems. The main application for such coating is in electrostatic discharged and explosion-proof lighting areas. The polymer additive used for the development is Clevios which is a conductive polymer manufactured by Heraeus.
- In May 2017, Intertec launched a single wall carbon nanotube based antistatic coating in collaboration with BÜFA for the surface treatment of glassfiber reinforced polyester (GRP). The coating provides better UV-protection as compared to other products in the market and also guarantees maintenance-free lifecycle.
- In April 2017, Novatic introduced a range of polyurethane based antistatic coatings offering better performance at a competitive price. The new range is based on a carbon nanotube additive called as TUBALL.