Synthetic products that are used to stabilize the land are called geosynthetics (polymeric products). Geosynthetics find application in various fields such as environmental protection projects, coastal engineering and civil engineering projects, and others on account of properties such as filtration, erosion control, separation and soil reinforcement. Polymers such as High Density Polyethylene (HDPE), polyester, and others are used in manufacturing process of geosynthetics.
Geosynthetics find application in the transportation industry. Increasing expansion of roads and railway networks is expected to boost the market growth. In rail industries, geosynthetics are used to improve track stability and to reduce maintenance cost. According to U.K.’s Office of Rail and Road (ORR), the total funding offered by the U.K. government towards maintaining, operating, renewing, and enhancing railways was US$ 8.6 billion in 2017, which increased from US$ 7.4 billion in 2013. Therefore, significant growth in the transportation industry is expected to boost the geosynthetics market growth during the forecast period.
Geosynthetics are highly adopted in civil construction and environmental activities such as filtration and landfill. Increasing need of water and waste treatment projects and enhancing civic amenities such as, sanitation, roads and drains, collection and disposal of solid waste, burial grounds and others are major driving factors for growth of the global geosynthetics market. Among product type, geotextile filters are used in wastewater treatment as biofilm attachment media, which helps microorganisms to decompose carbonaceous and nitrogenous compounds. Geotextile filters also filter the suspended solids.
Asia Pacific holds dominant position in the market for geosynthetics and also is the fastest growing market. This is owing to increasing demand from various applications such as road and pavements, drainage systems, and others in the construction industry. Growing real estate sector in Asia Pacific is also expected to boost the market growth. In 2018, the government of India launched ‘Housing for all by 2022’ program. According to India Brand Equity Foundation, the Indian real estate sector is expected to reach market size of US$ 1 trillion by 2030 from US$ 120 billion in 2017. Therefore, significant growth in the construction industry is expected to boost growth of the geosynthetics market in the region during the forecast period.
Major players operating in the global geosynthetics market include, Huifeng Geosynthetics, Tenax Corporation, Polymer Group, NAUE GmbH & Co. KG, Agru America Inc., Asahi Kasei Corporation, Leggett & Platt, GEO Synthetics LLC, Officine Maccaferri GSE Environmental, Propex Global, Fiber Web PLC, Low & Bonar PLC, Ten Cate Geosynthetics, and others.
On the basis of material type, the global geosynthetics market is segmented into:
- High Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
- Natural Fiber
- Other Polymeric Alloys
On the basis of product type, the global geosynthetics market is segmented into:
- Geosynthetic Clay Liners
On the basis of application, the global geosynthetics market is segmented into:
- Road & Pavements
- Drainage Systems
- Railroad Stabilization
- Containment & Waste Water
- Water Management
- Erosion Control
- Soil Reinforcement
On the basis of region, the global geosynthetics market is segmented into:
- North America
- Latin America
- Rest of South America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
Geosynthetics Market Key Developments:
- In April 2016, Geofabrics Australasia Pty Limited, entered into an agreement with Imagine Intelligent Materials Pty Limited, an Australian advanced materials company, for using Imagine’s graphene product in Geofabric’s geotextile material. Through this agreement Australia is expected to become the first country across the globe to use the graphene in the large scale manufacturing of geotextiles which is intended to be used in landfill and mining construction applications.
- In July 2016, HUESKER Synthetic GmbH, a global leader in geosynthetics manufacturing, introduced its new active geocomposite products including Tektoseal Active AS, AC and CP. The geocomposites are comprised of an active layer (containing either activated carbon or calcium phosphate), which is sandwiched between the two outer woven or nonwoven geotextile layers. These geocomposites find application in contaminated site remediation, groundwater protection and oil absorption appliations.
- In November 2018, Hexa - Nonwovens, Limited liability Company, based in Russia announced to develop a new geosynthetics plant at Astrakhan region, Russia. This is expected to expand company’s domestic geosynthetic fabrics as well as synthetic yarns production capacity. Capacity of the new plant is expected to reach up to 200 tonnes per month by the end of 2019.