Security labels are pressure sensitive and heat-applied labels illustrating either the brand logo or some security information. These labels are three times stronger and durable than the conventional labels and disintegrate when attempted to remove it. Security labels leave a pattern when peeled off and hence, can protect against any theft, as it can be used as a security seal.
Some properties of security labels such as its premium quality, minimal weight, and recyclability are factors that attract the end-use industries such as food and beverages, pharmaceutical, and others. This results in increasing demand for security labels, thereby driving growth of the security labels market. Digital printing of security labels is an additional benefit for the global security labels market to attract the end-use industries and increase its market value during the forecast period.
However, the additional price of the product as compared to the conventional labels is a major factor that is affecting growth of the global security labels market. Additional cost involved with the premium quality of plastic used for manufacturing labels, ink used for printing, and special compatible software required for the digital printing are not preferred by all the manufacturers. Due to the increased cost of the security labels, most of the end users will not prefer this product, thereby hampering growth of the global security labels market during the forecast period.
- There is increasing demand for security labels in food and beverages and pharmaceutical industries
- In case of pharmaceuticals, safe labeling is of highest importance. As conventional labeling is less durable, it can mislead the patient and might be dangerous. In 2016, the North America pharmaceutical industry generated around US$ 450 billion. This exhibits that the demand for pharmaceutical drugs is expected to increase during the forecast period. Pharmaceutical industry being one of the major end use industry, the value for global security labels market is also expected to increase during the forecast period.
- Food and beverage industry is also expected to grow in terms of market share during the forecast period. The major reason behind the increasing demand for security labels in this industry is the rising number of packaged food and beverages being consumed by people, globally.
Key players operating in the global security labels market include Honeywell International Inc., 3M, CCL Industries Inc., tesa SE, Security Labels International, and UPM Raflatac among others.
- In 2015, Guangzhou Manborui Material Technology Co.,Ltd launched its Shape Memory Polymer (SMP) security label at Labelexpo Europe (label, converting and packaging event) held in Brussels, Belgium. The security label has the ability to return from a deformed shape to its original shape when triggered by an external temperature change.
- In 2015, CCL Industries Inc. acquired Sennett Security Products LLC and its subsidiary Banknote Corporation of America Inc. The acquired companies manufacture specialty labels and other high security cards and documents for government applications. The acquisition helped CCL Industries to expand its product offerings.
- In 2016, Tesa SE launched its new range of security labels and adhesive tapes, HighPerSeal. The new security label can be customized in various ways to match design of the packaging. The label leaves a visible and predefined mark on the packaging for end-consumer, which will provide protection against theft.
- In April 2019, Authentix (authentication solution provider) acquired Security Print Solutions Limited (SPS), UK based company offering security print solutions. SSP offers wide range of products including security tax stamps and security labels. The acquisition will help Authentix to expand its product portfolio.
On the basis of product type, the global security labels market is segmented into:
On the basis of composition type, the global security labels market is segmented into:
- Face Stock
- Release Liner
On the basis of identification type, the global security labels market is segmented into:
- Radio Frequency Identification (RFID)
- Bar code
On the basis of end-use industry, the global security labels market is segmented into:
- Food & Beverage
- Consumer Durables
On the basis of region, the global security labels market is segmented into:
- North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- Rest of Latin America
- Middle East
- Northern Africa
- Central Africa
- South Africa