Automotive head-up display or heads-up display is an electronic system that displays important information onto a transparent screen, a combiner or windshield. HUD system projects crucial data such as speed, navigation information, various alerts, and advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) data. This allows the driver to access the information without taking attention off the road. Automotive head-up display has been a crucial system in minimizing road accidents. These systems are typically designed for meeting security, safety, comfort, entertainment requirements of the user. Moreover, automotive HUDs are mostly used in high-end segment cars such as luxury cars and sports cars. Rising awareness among car users regarding safety is expected to boost the demand for automotive head-up display system.
The global automotive HUD market
is estimated to account for US$ 466.2 Mn in terms of value and 8,143.6 Thousand units in terms of volume by the end of 2019.
Market Dynamics- Driver
- Rising proliferation of luxury segment cars in emerging economies such as China and India is expected to propel the market growth
Growing penetration of luxury segment cars in emerging economies is expected to propel growth of the global automotive HUD market during the forecast period. For instance, according to International Organization of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers (OICA), in 2018, passenger car production in China pegged at 23, 709, 782 units, up from 17,927,730 in 2013. Thus, growing demand for cars is expected to drive the market growth in the near future.
- HUD as replacement option to digital panel instrument is expected to offer conducive growth opportunities
Automotive head-up display offer excellent replacement for digital panel instrument. Head-up display offer more advantages over digital panel such as vivid display of information, assists in focusing on road, and minimizes road accidents. Therefore, HUD are expected to pose excellent growth opportunities for market players.
- Requirement of significant investment for installment head-up display to restrain market growth
Significant investment required for manufacturing of head-up display is expected to restrain growth of the global automotive HUD market over the forecast period. Although head-up display safeguards driver and minimizes road accidents, the manufacturing process is extremely expensive as it involves high-end electronic materials. Thus, it is typically used in luxury segment and sports cars.
- Major manufacturers are adopting mergers and acquisitions to enhance their portfolio
Major manufacturers are involved in various growth strategies such as mergers and acquisitions, in order to gain competitive advantage in the market. For instance, in 2012, Denso Corporation acquired I-Net Corporation’s 3D business unit with an aim to augment its portfolio associated with instrument cluster and head-up display technology.
- Key players are involved in product development, in order to enhance market presence
Product innovation and development is another popular trend in automotive manufacturers. Key players in the market are focused on developing novel products, in order to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in 2014, Harman International Industries, Inc. demonstrated its head-up display (HUD) technology, which has the capability to sophisticatedly incorporate with Google Glass.
Key players operating in the global automotive HUD market are Continental AG, Delphi Automotive LLP, Denso Corporation, MicroVision, Inc., Nippon Seiki Co. Ltd., Robert Bosch GmbH, YAZAKI Corporation, Visteon Corporation, and Harman International Industries Inc.
- Key players in the market are involved in product development, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in June 2019, Continental AG, a Germany-based technology company, developed first ultra-compact, high performance, head-up display (HUD). This HUD system is particularly suited for the cockpit of sports cars.
- Major manufacturers in the market are focused on product innovation, in order to gain competitive edge in the market. For instance, in January 2017, Visteon Corporation showcased its latest advancement in head-up display technology at CES 2017 in Las Vegas, January 5-8.
- By Region
- North America
- Western Europe
- Latin America
- Eastern Europe
- Asia Pacific Excluding Japan
- Middle East & Africa
- By Product Type
- By Passenger Car Type
- Sports Utility Vehicle
- Sports Car
- By Sales Channel
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs)