The dolomite market is estimated to be valued at US$ 2.84 billion in 2021, according to the Dolomite Market Report, by Product (Agglomerates, Calcined, and Sintered), by End-use (Iron & Steel, Construction Materials, Glass & Ceramics, Water Treatment, Agriculture, and Others), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, and Middle East & Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The dolomite market is expected to surpass US$ 3.69 million by 2028 and exhibit a CAGR of 3.85% during the forecast period (2021-2028). Dolomite is used as an aggregate in Portland cement concrete for roads, buildings, and other structures, as well as in combination with bituminous materials for highways and other similar construction. Dolomite is calcined and then cut into blocks of a specified size in the cement manufacturing process. Cement production was 4,100 million tonnes in 2019, up from 4,050 million tonnes in 2018, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. The U.S., Brazil, China, Egypt, and India are among the top cement-producing countries. Dolomite is preferred by key players for cement production. This lowers the total production costs and helps companies in achieving their profit goals. For instance, China has significantly increased its cement production in the recent decade, resulting in increasing demand for dolomite. In the next years, growth in cement manufacturing is expected to drive the dolomite demand.
Dolomite is also used in the ceramic industry. Dolomite as a ceramic material is a uniform calcium magnesium carbonate. In ceramic glazes, it is used as a source of magnesium and calcium. Other than talc, dolomite is a principle source of MgO in high temperature raw glazes. Dolomite matte and stoneware glazes, for example, are highly prized for their pleasant 'silky' surface texture.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 50 market data tables* and 40 figures* on "Dolomite market” - Global Forecast to 2028.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Dolomite Market:
- Among regions, North America accounted for 21% share of the global dolomite market in 2020. North America market has high presence of some of the key market players. The rapid expansion of end-use industries such as construction, water & sludge treatment, glass & ceramics, and pharmaceutical & healthcare in the U.S. is expected to boost the demand for dolomite in the coming years. By the end of 2021, the consumption of dolomite in North America is expected to skyrocket. As a result, dolomite applications in cement manufacturing, as well as the production of various agrochemicals, glass, and ceramics for a variety of end-uses are likely to drive market expansion in the U.S.
Key Takeaways of the Dolomite Market:
- Among product, calcined accounted for the highest market share of 42% in 2020 in the dolomite market. Sales of calcined dolomite are boosted by rising cement and agrochemical production. This segment growth is aided by the expansion of the construction and infrastructure industries. Calcined dolomite is used in the iron & steel industry as scorifiers and refractory lining protectors, as well as in agriculture as a soil conditioner and in the environmental sector for water treatment.
- The others segment in application include fertilizer industry. Agriculture grade dolomiteused for soil neutralization/conditioner to correct acidity. It also finds use as filler in fertilizers. The main ingredient is calcium carbonate that helps increase the pH of acidic soils and provides a good source of calcium for plant. Dolomite improves the water penetration for acidic soil. It also contains MgCO3 for triggering the fast growth of plants. Agriculture-based dolomite is primarily used to control the acidity of the soil by making it more alkaline by reducing its pH.
- Major players operating in the dolomite market includes Imerys S.A., Sibelco, RHI Magnesita, Omya Group, JFE minerals, Varbar dolomite, Lhoist Group, Arij Global Trading, Nordkalk Corporation, Beihei Group, Arihant Minchem, and Carmeuse.
- Technology launches, acquisitions, and R&D activities are key strategies adopted by players in the dolomite market. For instance, animals need calcium carbonate for bone development, nerve function, and milk and egg production. Calcium carbonate, for instance, is required for bone formation, neuron function, and milk and egg production in animals. Dolomite, which is their natural source, has a high calcium and magnesium content, which is why dolomite is an important component in animal feed. Vitamins and premixes both contain calcium carbonate.
Dolomite Chloride Market - Impact of Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic
- The consequences of COVID-19 pandemic have led to the slowdown of global dolomite market. Steel and iron are the two main industries where dolomite is used mostly. During the COVID-19 pandemic, these industries faced a huge loss due to the lack of supply and demand of the material in the market. According to the report by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), in December 2020, the global pandemic caused a drop in demand for dolomite, but steel output and inventories in China continued to rise. The Committee was also concerned that the industry's tough market conditions were creating major employment losses. Due to overall capacity decreases and production cuts resulting from COVID-19, the gap between worldwide capacity and production of dolomite closed from 2016 to 2019. It is now anticipated that the production of dolomite grow to as much as 700 million tonnes.