The global force sensor market was valued at US$ 8,558.3 Million in 2021 and is expected to surpass US$ 12,910.0 Million by 2027, registering a CAGR of 7.1% during the forecast period (2021-2027), according to the Global Force Sensor Market Report, By Technology (Capacitive Force Sensor, Piezoresistive Force Sensor, Piezoelectric Force Sensor, Magneto-elastic Force Sensor and Others (Optical Force Sensor, etc.)), By Application (Monitoring & Control and Testing & Measurement), By End use Vertical (Automotive, Medical & Healthcare, Consumer Electronics, Clothing & Textile, Food & Beverage, Manufacturing, Aerospace & Defense, Oil & Gas, Construction, Agriculture and Others), By Automotive Application (Motor Speed Control, Seat Occupancy Detection, Steering Wheel Control Console, Mirror Adjustor, Gear Knob, Brake, Assembly Parts Detection, Suspension Force Measurement, Gasket Force Monitoring and Others) and by Region (North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America, and Middle East and Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The demand for interactive touchscreen devices is rapidly increasing, as various industries such as retail, healthcare, and education are focusing on providing interactive touchscreen experience for the consumers. Force sensor provides rapid response to input, precision in position sensing, and durability, which is required by touch panels. Thus, increasing demand for touchscreen devices in the consumer electronics, healthcare, retail, and other industries is expected to drive the global force sensor market growth during the forecast period. For instance, according to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, the global touchscreen display market is expected to reach US$ 8.1 million by 2025.
Thus, due to benefits offered by the force sensing technology, various key market players are offering interactive display solutions using force sensing technology. For instance, TouchNetix Limited, a U.K.-based touchscreen solutions providing company, is offering force touch products. The products are integrated with force sensing technology coupled with TouchNetix’s proprietary pressScreen sensor technology in order to provide highly accurate, and reliable result. Furthermore, in October 2018, the company (TouchNetix Limited) also launched a Xiom series of touchscreen controller Integrated circuit ICs with advanced integrated sensing technology specially optimised for industrial and automotive applications.
Force Sensor Market - Impact of Coronavirus (Covid-19) Pandemic
Owing to COVID-19 pandemic, demand for end use products such as smartphones, vehicles, and others has also decreased sharply, for instance, according to Coherent Market Insights’ analysis, the automotive market witnessed 12-15% decrease in demand impacting the force sensor market. Similarly, the growth of consumer electronics market was also hampered reducing overall global sales by around 1%-5% compared 2019. Thus, key players in the force sensor market need to closely monitor the overall trend in the global market in order to quickly recover from the short term effect.
Long term impact on the force sensor market is expected to be positive as COVID-19 crisis could accelerate automation and industry 4.0 adoption in the manufacturing sector, thus increasing the demand for various sensors such as force sensors in the near future. Furthermore, in past couple of months, consumers have adopted new ways of communication for work and study as large number of people are working from home. Thus, demand for force sensor could increase as demand for portable communication devices is expected to increase. On the other hand, demand for force sensor in the automotive industry is expected to decrease (compared to consumer electronics devices) as automotive companies witnessed lower revenues in the pandemic resulting into reduced R &D funding for the new projects.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 150 market data tables* and 90 figures* on “Global Force Sensor Market- Global forecast to 2027”
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Force Sensor Market:
- Asia Pacific held dominant position in the global force sensor market in 2021 and is expected to retain its dominance throughout the forecast period. This is attributed to the presence of major players across Asia Pacific region which are focusing on developing new products with new features and technologies to gain competitive edge in the market. Companies are developing high tech force sensors with new features to cater to the demand from end users. For instance, in August 2020, Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. launched smartwatch with a SpO2 optical sensor which is used to monitor heart rate of the cyclist, runner, swimmers and other professional sport athletes. Moreover, the increasing disposable income in developed and emerging economies is expected to increase spending on smart devices. For instance, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), in China, the rural and urban per capita disposable income reached US$ 5,658.45 in 2019 from US$ 2,107.2 in 2018. Moreover, rising adoption of force sensors in the oil & gas industry is also increasing the demand for force sensor. Moreover, investment in the oil and gas industry will provide lucrative opportunities for growth of the force sensor market in the near future. For instance, according to India Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the investments in oil and gas exploration and production activities in India are expected to reach US$ 25 million by 2022.
- Europe is expected to show significant growth over the forecast period, owing to rising adoption of forcesensors in oil & gas industry. Furthermore, the increasing dependence on industrial automation in order to achieve high quality and consistency has increased the demand for forced sensors in the food & beverage industry. Industrial automation helps in improving performance, reduces cost, increases efficiency, and improves overall performance in the industry. The rising demand for instruments and controls that can accurately measure temperature, pressure, or conditions has also increased the demand for these sensors. For instance, in February 2020, ABB, a Switzerland-based automation company, launched robotic systems for the food and beverage industry to improve production and operational performance.
- Among application, monitoring & control segment segment held a dominant position in the market in 2021 and is expected to retain its dominance during the forecast period. The rising demand for high-quality products has led to constant monitoring of the manufacturing process and health of machines. This has created the demand for force sensors to monitor and control the processes. Thus, proper monitoring & control helps in saving downtime cost. In a machining process, a force sensor is used to measure various characteristics such as surface roughness, detection of sudden tool breakage, chatter, and gradual tool wears. For instance, in August 2019, Monnit Corporation, a U.S.-based company that manufactures wireless sensor solutions for various industries, launched ALTA G-Force Max/Avg. Sensor. The new wireless product provides real-time tracking of industrial applications such as monitoring unauthorized access, unusual motor shake, assembly line irregularities, wind turbine abnormalities, and others.
- Among technology, Piezoresistive Force Sensor segment held a dominant position in the market in 2019 and is expected to retain its dominance during the forecast period. The increasing demand of piezoresistive force sensors from the automotive sector is expected to drive segment growth during the forecast period. Due to the increase in population, the demand for passenger and commercial vehicles is also increasing across the globe. According to Organisation Internationale des Constructeurs d’Automobiles (OICA), the sales of passenger cars in Singapore increased from 17,197 units in 2012 to 43,423 units in 2016.
- Major players operating in the global force sensor market include Honeywell International Inc., Texas Instruments Incorporated, ATI Industrial Automation, Inc., TE Connectivity, Tekscan, Inc., Racelogic Ltd, Magnetic Sense GmbH, SensorData Technologies, Inc., Sensors And Synergy S.A. (SENSY S.A.), Sensata Technologies, HBM, Strainsert, Inc., FUTEK Advanced Sensor Technology, Inc., Gefran, Althen Sensors, PCB Piezotronics, OMRON Corporation, WIKA Alexander Wiegand SE & Co. KG, Flintec Inc.