The global e-commerce packaging market was valued at US$ 21.43 billion in 2016, according to the Global E-commerce Packaging Market Report, by Product Type (Boxes, Protective Packaging, Mailers, Tapes, Labels, and Others), by Application (Electronics, Food & Beverages, Cosmetics, Fashion, Furniture, and Others). The e-commerce packaging market is expected to register a CAGR of 5.76% over the forecast period (2017 – 2025), reaching US$ 33.89 billion by 2025. The Asia Pacific region is expected to dominate the market over the forecast period and is projected to be the largest and fastest-growing region.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 200 market data tables* and 150 figures* on the "E-commerce Packaging Market” Global forecast for 2025.
Key Trends and Analysis of E-commerce Packaging Market:
- Among product type, protective packaging held the largest market share in 2017. This can is attributed to rising electronic and furniture sales online, which require protective packaging such as foam, bubble wraps and bags, cushioning and protective cases. The sales of electronics from online channels topped US$ 70 billion in 2017, according to U.S. government sources. Amazon India in 2016, witnessed 130% increase from 2015, in smartphone sales alone.
Key Takeaways from the Market:
- According to Ecommerce Europe, the e-commerce market in the region was valued at US$ 738.7 billion in 2017, which was a 14% increase from 2016. The growth of the e-commerce packaging market in the region ensued from growing e-commerce sales in Central and East European countries, which exhibited high e-commerce sales growth rates. In Poland and Bulgaria sales grew by 25%, Estonia and Slovakia exhibited 35% growth and Ukraine grew by 31%. Also, high internet penetration rates in Western European countries of U.K., Germany, France, Belgium and Netherlands are expected to boost the market growth. Although, growth in the aforementioned countries is expected to stagnant. These factors are projected to be conducive to e-commerce packaging market growth in the region.
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the largest and fastest growing market for e-commerce packaging over the forecast period. Large populations in India and China coupled with increasing internet penetration rates has led to e-commerce and e-commerce packaging market growth. According to Chinese government sources, the e-commerce market growth in the country was 32% in 2017 over the previous year. Moreover, high growth in the economies of Indonesia and India are also expected to contribute in market growth over the forecast period.
- North America provides the e-commerce packaging market with ample growth opportunities. According to the U.S. Department of Commerce, e-commerce accounted for 13% of total retail sales in 2017, which is an increase over the 12.6%, which was recorded in 2016. According to , the U.S. was the second largest e-commerce market in the world after China. The country is expected to witness growth in e-commerce sales, which is attributable to increased fashion, electronics and food & beverages sales through online channels.
- Major market player Klabin S.A. is working on developing sustainable packaging products for e-commerce. According to company sources, the company is expected to develop paper packaging products using eucalyptus fiber, which is recyclable and cheaper than conventional paper products. This will allow the company to gain an edge over competitors in the market.
- Major players operating in the global e-commerce packaging market include Smurfit Kappa Group, Mondi Group plc, International Paper Company, DS Smith plc, Klabin S.A., Rengo Co. Ltd., Nippon Paper Industries Co. Ltd., and Georgia-Pacific LLC.