The Omega 3 Ingredients Market was valued at US$ 2.5 billion in 2022. Omega 3 ingredients are naturally-occurring polyunsaturated fatty acids and nutrients that are essential for human health. There are three types of omega 3 ingredients, namely alpha-linoleic acid (ALA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Increasing cardiovascular disease and growing demand for supplements, especially in North America and Europe is surging demand for DHA and EPA. Consumers are increasingly inclined towards food rich in omega 3 fatty and also supplements containing the acid, due to increasing awareness about the various health benefits associated with the same. Cold water fish are the primary source of omega 3 fatty acids and have various health benefits such effective treatment of hypertriglyceridemia and other cardiovascular diseases. This in turn creates a highly conducive environment for growth of the global omega-3 market.
Omega 3 Ingredients Market was valued at US$ 2.5 Bn in 2022. Omega 3 Ingredients Market is expected to register a CAGR of 10.5 % over the forecast period (2023–2030), to reach US$ 5.56 Bn by 2030.
The COVID-19 Pandemic had a positive impact on EPA/ DHA (Omega 3) Ingredients industry trends. Despite supply chain shortages and associated disruptions in demand and product prices, the pandemic fueled consumer interests in dietary supplements that are rich in Omega 3. To address the surging demand for Omega 3 Ingredients, new manufacturing capacities have been established in recent years along with R&D, on EPA and DHA. For instance in September 2022, the Karolinska Institute in Sweden conducted a study showcasing the efficacy of intravenous administration of Omega 3 to boast the immunity of Covid-19 patients.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Key Trends and Analysis of the Omega 3 Ingredients Market :
- New ultra-high concentrated omega-3 ingredients offer numerous benefits to consumers willing to pay a higher premium price for high-end products. Suppliers are investing in producing highly concentrated algal omega-3 products and counting on increased demand to drive their sales. The market for concentrates has also been booming, as more consumers have been becoming familiar with the benefits of algal omega-3 and have been looking for the benefits of higher doses.
- North America dominated the market with the highest revenue share of 38% in 2022, followed by Europe, Asia Pacific, Latin America and MEA respectively. This is attributable to the presence of prominent manufacturers of omega 3-based pharmaceutical products. The demand in this region is also driven by the presence of major pharmaceutical companies such as Pfizer, Inc., Johnson & Johnson, Amway, and Amarin Pharma, Inc. among others
Key Takeaways of the Omega 3 Ingredients Market :
- The market in Latin America is expected to register steady growth rate over the forecast period. Rise in public awareness along with increasing intake of saturated fatty acids is expected to create lucrative growth opportunities for the players in this region.
- Pharmaceuticals sector is one of the key industries for the use of Omega 3 Ingredients. Omega 3 ingredients research started as an epidemiologic curiosity which has generated the strongest dataset for nutrients in pharmaceuticals sector, primarily by reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease. To meet the dietary supplements and drugs, the advent of novel oils from single cell organisms and plants are enabled by biotechnology is expected to fuel the growth for omega 3 ingredients in pharmaceuticals. Also, omega 3 fatty acids helps in decreasing the triglycerides and fats deposited in the liver. For instance, BASF SE introduced Omacor, the first EU and FDA approved pharmaceuticals drug derived from omega 3 fatty acids.
- Koninklijke DSM NV, BASF SE, Croda International Plc., NU-MEGA Ingredients Pty Ltd., Pronova BioPharma ASA, Omega Protein Corporation, and Ocean Nutrition Canada Limited among others are few of the key players in global Omega 3 Ingredients market.
- Companies are also investing in expansions, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures in the market. For instance, in July 24, 2013, FMC Corporation acquired Epax Nautra Holding III AS and Epax UK Holding III AS, a market leading manufacturer of omega 3 fatty acid, which primarily deals with premium grade omega 3 fatty acid used in pharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and food.