The global organic fertilizers market was valued at US$ 6.15 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach US$ 12.26 billion by 2025, at a CAGR of 8.27% during the forecast period (2017 – 2025), according to a Global Organic Fertilizers Market Report by Functionality (Phosphate Solubilizing and Nitrogen Fixing), by Source (Plant Origin, Animal Origin, and Mineral Origin), and by Application (Seed Treatment and Soil Treatment). Key factors such as increasing demand for organic food & beverages, changing dietary habits among people coupled with shifting consumer preference towards natural food, increasing awareness about advantages of organic fertilizers along with rapid adoption of organic fertilizers in regulating soil fertility are expected to be the major factors driving growth of the global organic fertilizers market throughout the forecast period. Moreover, initiative taken by regional governments such as European Union, United States Department of Agriculture, and various others to promote organic farming by providing subsidies on price of organic fertilizers is creating positive environment for growth of the market. However, less amount of soil enriching nutrients such as Nitrogen (N), Potassium (K), and Phosphorous (P) as compared to synthetic/chemical fertilizers may have negative impact on growth of organic fertilizers market.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 180 market data tables* and 90 figures* on "Organic Fertilizers Market” - Global forecast to 2025.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Organic Fertilizers Market:
- Among source, animal origin segment accounted for highest revenue share in global organic fertilizers market in 2016. Animal sources such as manure and bone meal release more quickly and offers high amount of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous as compared to other organic fertilizer. Such factors are playing important role in growth of this segment.
- Among application, seed treatment segment is projected to witness significant growth in organic fertilizers market throughout the forecast period. Seed treatment is an effective and affordable way to optimize plant establishment, seed germination, and yield potential. Also, it is the most cost-effective investments for farmer to increase crop productivity. Seed treatment provides protection from pathogenic fungal diseases leading to early growth of roots and larger roots, providing better access to nutrients and moisture, which is fueling growth of seed treatment segment.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Europe held highest revenue share in global organic fertilizers market in 2016. The growth of organic fertilizers market in Europe is mainly attributed due to increasing organic farming practices in the region. According to Research Institute of Organic Agriculture (FiBL) report, in 2015, 25% of total global share of organic farming was accounted solely by Europe, which represents higher demand for organic fertilizers in European economies as compared to other regions. Moreover, European Union is actively promoting organic farming through the EU Common Agricultural Policy (CAP). Under the current CAP for the period 2014-2020 organic farming is supported by Pillar 1 (direct payments) and Pillar 2 (Rural Development Program).
- Asia Pacific is projected to be the fastest growing region in global organic fertilizers market by witnessing a CAGR of 8.71% throughout the forecast period. In Asia Pacific, regional government in emerging economies such as China, India and various others are focusing on increasing awareness regarding advantages of organic fertilizers among local farmers. For instance, in 2017, the Chinese Ministry of Agriculture initiated an action plan to help farmers switch from chemical fertilizers to organic fertilizers. The action was launched in response to soil degradation, low fertility, and poor yields due to rampant use of chemical fertilizer.
- Key players are strategically investing to develop new organic fertilizers to enhance their product portfolio. For instance, in November 2016, TATA Chemicals Limited, increased its stake in its subsidiary Zero Waste Agro-Organics Ltd. from 73.63% to 100%, valued over estimated US$ 200 million to expand its product portfolio.