The global granular urea market was valued at US$ 36.6 billion in 2018, according to Global Granular Urea Market Report, by Product Type (Fertilizer Grade, Feed Grade, and Technical Grade), by Application (Agriculture, Chemical, Building & Construction, and Others), and by Region (North America, Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, Middle East, and Africa), published by Coherent Market Insights.
The global granular urea market is expected to reach US$ 49.0 billion by 2027, exhibiting a CAGR of 3.3% during the forecast period, owing to increasing demand for granular urea from various end-use industries. Technical grade granular urea finds application in various industries. For instance, technical grade is used in particle board industry, which is a base component in furniture, construction, and wood industries. Technical grade is also used in pharmaceutical industry for production of dyes, disinfectants, medical drugs, fish oils and omega 3. Growth of various end-use industries is expected to drive demand for granular urea over the forecast period. For instance, according to the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA), the European pharmaceutical industry was valued at US$ 229,563 million in 2016, which reached US$ 238,512 million in 2017.
However, excessive usage of urea leads to adverse implications on soil, crop quality and the ecosystem. Use of urea enhances mining of soil nutrients which leads to deterioration of soil fertility. Such soils may require more fertilizers over time to produce optimum yields. Excessive use of urea also causes groundwater pollution. These factors are encouraging farmers to adopt environment friendly farming process such as organic farming, which in turn is expected to hamper the market growth of granular urea over the forecast period.
To know the latest trends and insights prevalent in this market, click the link below:
Browse 70 market data tables* and 55 figures* on "Granular Urea Market” - Global forecast to 2027.
Key Trends and Analysis of the Global Granular Urea Market:
- Among product type, fertilizer grade is expected to be the fastest growing segment in the global granular urea market during the forecast period. The fertilizer grade granular urea demand is expected to be fueled by increasing fertilizer demand from agriculture sector, globally, owing to increasing the production of crops. For instance, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, the global fertilizer demand in 2016 was pegged at 185,063 kilo tons, which is expected to reach at 200,919 tons by 2022.
- Development of new production technologies by players operating in the global granular urea market is expected to drive demand for granular urea over the forecast period. For instance, in 2016, Royal Dutch Shell PLC in partnership with Uhde Fertilizer Technologies (UFT), subsidiary of ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions, developed a new process to incorporate sulphur into urea fertilizers. The new process will allow manufacturers to manufacture granulated sulphur containing urea using Shell’s sulphur-enhanced urea technology with UFT’s fluid bed granulation process. The Shell’s sulphur-enhanced urea technology allows to form micron-sized particles of sulphur evenly throughout urea, forming a homogenous emulsion. The microscopic size of sulphur promotes oxidation of sulphur within the crop season.
Key Takeaways of the Market:
- Asia Pacific is expected to be the fastest growing region in the global granular urea market over the forecast period. This is attributed to increasing demand for food grain, which has led to increasing crop production, increasing awareness among farmers, and need for better land use efficiency are expected to drive market growth of granular urea in the region. For instance, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Agriculture Statistics, China’s rice production in 2017 was pegged at 4.842 tons/hectare, which increased to 4.919 tons/hectare in 2018.
- Key players operating in the global granular urea market are focusing on new product launches, in order to strengthen their position in the market. For instance, in 2016, Gubretas (a Turkey-based fertilizer company) launched Nitropower33, a nitrogenous fertilizer in granular form containing urea and ammonia nitrogen. The new product can be used as a source of nitrogen for cereals, fruits, vegetables, industrial plants, and legumes.
- Major players operating in the global granular urea market include CF Industries Holdings, Inc., Yara International ASA, Saudi Arabian Fertilizer Company, Nutrien Ltd., Ostchem Holding, EuroChem Group, Bunge Limited, CVR Partners LP, Luxi Chemical Group Co.,Ltd., and Coromandel International Ltd.