The India alcohol market
was valued at INR 2,807,236.6 Billion in 2018, according to India Alcohol Market Report, by Type (IMFL (Brandy & Cognac, Rum, Whiskies, White Spirits, Others), Beer (Mild,Strong), Wine (Red Wine, White Wine, Rose Wine), Country Liquor), by Origin Type (Imported Liquor, Indian Made Foreign Liquor, Foreign Liquor Bottled in India, and Indian Made Indian Liquor), Average spending on alcoholic beverage, by Gender (Male, Female), by Ingredients (Grains, Molasses, and Fruits & Vegetables), by Distribution Market (Government Controlled, Open Market, and Auction Market), and by Sub-Region (South Zone, North Zone, East Zone, and West Zone) published by
Definition of Market/Industry:
Alcohol is a key ingredient that is manufactured by fermentation of yeast. It acts as stimulants and induce a feeling of euphoria and talkativeness but can lead to drowsiness if consumed too much. Sometimes it also causes respiratory depression where breathing becomes difficult and shallow. Moreover, alcohol has a severe impact on every organ of the body and this depends on the content of alcohol in the blood.
The India alcohol market was valued at INR 2,807,236.6 Bn in 2018 and is anticipated to reach INR 5,482,851.3 Bn by the end of 2027, growing at a CAGR of 7.8% during the forecast period (2019 to 2027).
Changing lifestyle, rising number of millennial population and growing number of pubs and bars around the globe are the prime factors fueling the market growth of the alcohol market. Moreover, the rising number of people visiting pubs and bars coupled with the growing adoption of western culture is another major factor propelling the growth of India alcohol market.
Growing production of flavored alcohol coupled with the rising number of restaurant cum bar around the globe is a major factor that is expected to offer new growth opportunity to the market. For instance, in August 2019, Pabst Blue Ribbon's launched new lime-flavored Stronger Seltzer, it is a latest addition to the already packed hard-seltzer market. Stronger Seltzer's higher alcohol content — 8% ABV — sets it apart from other hard seltzers.
Rising health awareness among consumers coupled with the availability of substitutes for alcohol such as non-alcoholic drink is expected to hamper the market growth of alcohol.
- For instance, in September 2019, Freestar, a newly-formed UK company has launched its alcohol-free brand with its first product. This product is a 0.0% alcohol-free beer that maintains its original flavor.
- Moreover, in September 2019, food and drinks producer Kraft Heinz partnered with Diageo to launch a new range of alcohol free ready-to-drink (RTD) which include Baileys iced coffees.
- The growing focus of manufacturer to cater to the rising demand for premium brands is projected to foster market growth over the forecast period. For instance, in October 2019, Amazon launched its first premium spirits brand in the UK. The debut drink, named Tovess Gin, is the first of multiple spirits that the online retailer plans to bring to the market which is suitable for vegans and vegetarians. This gin is described as a “well-balanced gin created using a sophisticated blend of botanical ingredients”.
- Rising penetration of various brand in the market along with the increasing number of urban population adopting alcohol drinking is expected to foster the market growth of alcohol over the forecast.
Carlsberg India Pvt. Ltd
- United Spirits Limited
- Tilaknagar Industries Ltd
- Jagatjit Industries
- Mohan Meakin
- Globus Spirits
- Allied Blenders and Distillers Pvt.
- SAB Miller
- Radico Khaitan Limited
- Khemani Group
- SOM Distilleries and Breweries
- Carlsberg A/S
Jagatjit Industries Ltd (JIL),
- The company has established seven state-of-the-art breweries in India, which use modern technology and fresh ingredients to brew beers.
- In April 2017, Carlsberg India Pvt. Ltd, the local arm of Danish brewer Carlsberg group, launched a new premium strong beer with Scotch malts called ‘Tuborg Classic.’
- In April 2019, Jagatjit Industries Ltd (JIL), maker of IMFL spirits Aristocrat Premium, AC and Binnies, entered into a partnership with Lost Spirits Technologies (LST), the technology-development arm of Lost Spirits Distillery LLC. This partnership is expected to involve technology sharing by LST which will allow JIL to accelerate aging of alcoholic spirits through a patented technology.
By Origin Type
- Brandy & Cognac
- White Spirits
- Red Wine
- White Wine
- Rose Wine
- Country Liquor
Average Spending on Alcoholic Beverage, By Gender
- Imported Liquor
- Indian Made Foreign Liquor
- Foreign Liquor Bottled in India
- Indian Made Indian Liquor
By Distribution Market
- Fruits & Vegetables
- Government Controlled
- Open Market
- Auction Market
- South Zone
- North Zone
- East Zone
- West Zone